Somthing that makes no sense!

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
paul I
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Re: Somthing that makes no sense!

Post by paul I »

mastreb wrote:Awesome!

I have the Maretron WSO100 instrument on my Mac and the Navtech/SIMRAD/B&G windvane on my beneteau. Neither is as good for improving sailing as just putting a windex atop the mast IMHO, but they are nice for getting the wind vectors on the chart-plotter. I also have the Garmin 741 and believe it's the perfect size for the toothbrush pedestal. I really like it, much better than the B&G Zeus Touch 7 on my other boat.

The best thing about a wind instrument is just the _knowing_ that you're going as fast as you're going to go, so you don't keep thinking there's something you must be doing wrong and continue to trim pointlessly. Any time you're going 50% of true wind on the Mac, you're doing it right and there's not a whole lot more you're going to be able to get out of it.

Funny how the more electronics I put on my boat, the more I rely on the windex and tell-tales to eek out that last knot of performance...
I agree. The one thing I did do on my mac was to install one of these http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... 8&id=74260. It makes night sailing so much easier. Its set up to turn on with the nav lights.