Anchor Roller

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Anchor Roller

Post by Interim »

I have a 94 26S, with the nav lights on the hull rather than the bow rail. I want to mount an anchor roller to control the line, but the lip at the edge of the deck (a toe rail, I guess) makes it so I can't lay the base of the anchor roller across the edge.

Can I mount a fair lead of some sort on the bow rail? I have a bracket there where the mast attaches for transport. My concern is that the pressure might be too much for the bow rail.

If this is a bad idea, are there other approaches I should consider?

--john
budgates
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: Anchor Roller

Post by budgates »

You would probably get by with it for storing a Danforth or other light anchor or even for anchoring in light conditions but anything more will twist and bend your pulpit. I would never leave the boat or spend the night on an anchor secured to the pulpit.
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Anchor Roller

Post by Sumner »

I used the plate under the rollers I made to shim up to account for the lip. I would suggest the same. You could use another piece of aluminum or stainless strap (onlinemetals.com) under the roller as I did in the pictures below on the Endeavout.

More on the anchor roller install here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... ng-16.html

2 pictures showing how the 2 anchor rollers on the Endeavour were shimmed up ...

.. on the Endeavour.

I wouldn't use the pulpit as you can get some heavy forces at times on anchor and since that would also be higher off the water you would need to increase your scope by probably 7 to 14 feet on anchor to get the same holding,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links