Table/Bench Seat Mod

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Geraghtyr
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Table/Bench Seat Mod

Post by Geraghtyr »

My 1st Mod, other than replacing the bulbs with LCD bulbs...

Idea:
When not needed, remove the factory table and add more seating for lounging and relaxing.

Mod:
Added a bench seat and cocktail table than can be raised and lowered.

Here's a photo of the unfinished 1st fit.

Thanks,
Rob
paul I
First Officer
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Re: Table/Bench Seat Mod

Post by paul I »

Very nice. That certainly does open it up quite a bit doesn't it.
bobbob
First Officer

Post by bobbob »

Wow! That is a fantastic idea! I may steal that design from you completely :D
Spector
First Officer

Post by Spector »

Pretty slick idea!
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Looks good. The original table is a lot bigger than it needs to be, IMO, at least when it's not being used as a berth.

And remember that it doesn't have to be round, if you want to make more walking space on the port side.

This one even has a storage bin in it, with a removable hatch board in the top with a finger hole. Might give you (or someone else) some additional ideas.
Obelix
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Obelix »

Tomfoolery, that would be an outstanding mod for the Mac!
Just need to apply the beam-stretcher to the hull. :P :wink:

Obelix
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

:D :D :D Yeah, it's over the top perhaps, but it was the best pic I had of an asymmetric table on a compression post. And there's no reason someone couldn't make a smaller version that conforms to the shape of the seat the OP created and the existing aft-facing seat. If someone were so inclined.

Problem for me, though, is that the forward seat doesn't have enough cabin roof clearance for my head, so I always sit on the aft seat. But I suppose there's no reason the same thing can't be done for the aft seat instead. And eliminate the forward seat to extend the vee-berth aft, since that's too small for me, too. :wink:
Geraghtyr
Just Enlisted

Post by Geraghtyr »

I like the idea of asymmetrical table. Could possible do fold up hinged table?

I went round for two reasons.
1. people sitting on the port side bench seat can set a drink on the table
2.Lowe's had it in stock 8)
RGF
Engineer

Post by RGF »

Excellent idea! I think I'll rip that off too! :D Thanks!
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Tomfoolery wrote:Looks good. The original table is a lot bigger than it needs to be, IMO, at least when it's not being used as a berth.

And remember that it doesn't have to be round, if you want to make more walking space on the port side.

This one even has a storage bin in it, with a removable hatch board in the top with a finger hole. Might give you (or someone else) some additional ideas.
Im loving this, maybe just slit the hull down the middle and add another 18 inches and it may start to be feasible, I would think an 18 inch wider Mac would be a pretty awesome sea boat, of course trailering becomes an issue
Photoman369
Chief Steward

Post by Photoman369 »

In looking at this I got the bug for more room. Here's what I am planning. Using existing equipment with almost no purchases. Take the existing table top and cut it in half on a line bow to stern. Put hinges on the underside counter sunk so the surfaces will be flush when the table is folded in two. This will then be used as a bench in the groves already there for when you use the table as a berth. It's already the perfect size. Just remove the leg from underneath and take the table off the wall fold it and its a bench. Unfold it and put the leg back on and flatten it out. The hinge will keep the table flat and solid for use as a table again.

Seems it will work any thoughts? :)
RGF
Engineer

Post by RGF »

Don't forget,Photoman, you will also have to notch the turned down edges so they won't hit when in the dropped position and worse, I think the table will be too wide to fit between the vertical fronts of the bow and stern benches. There's always a solution to every problem though....
RGF
Engineer

Post by RGF »

After more thought, maybe you could hinge the table so that the hull side folds up against the hull and the support leg side sits down in the "berth" grooves....but maybe that's what you were saying all along. Sorry, silly me, shutting up now... :?
Photoman369
Chief Steward

Post by Photoman369 »

RGF wrote:After more thought, maybe you could hinge the table so that the hull side folds up against the hull and the support leg side sits down in the "berth" grooves....but maybe that's what you were saying all along. Sorry, silly me, shutting up now... :?
Pretty close to what I was thinking. I planned on folding the table in half right back on it self and resting it in the berth grooves, not having half be a seat back. And yes counter sink both sides of the hinge. Thanks for the response
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Very nice 8)