Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Boomkicker Banner

Boat-trim when motoring

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Boat-trim when motoring

Postby Bertil Rafting » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:39 am

I do not like the trim appr 15 degrees when motoring. I have been counting (Savitsky) and understand by the formulas that the big trim is depending on that the weight (LCG=longitudinell center of gravity) is too far back). I like to have a trim 4-5 degrees instead. It will reduce the resistance and the spray and giving you better sight forward. So I moved the tanks and other things forward and I also have to angle the engine so the angle between the boat bottom and the engine-shaft is decreased.
Do you think my theory is OK? It would be nice to try it when the weather here in Sweden gets warmer hopefully in may.
Bertil Rafting
Deckhand

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Boat-trim when motoring

Postby Herschel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:28 pm

I can only speak for my 26X, but the PO did me a lot of favors by putting the two batteries and the two 9 gallon fresh water tanks under the forward V berth. My 13 gallon head holding tank is located under the aft dinette seat, but is rarely that full. :D My two 9 gallon gas tanks are under the cockpit seats in the spaces designed for them. I have not measured my boat trim, but I routinely empty my ballast tank underway. With just one or two adults in the cockpit, the boat starts out with a higher trim angle but quickly, when it gets on plane, levels out nicely. With 5-6 adults aboard, I ask one to move forward to the forward hatch to help balance out the boat when starting to empty the ballast tank. That one person forward is sufficient to bring the trim back to close to level after the initial higher angle just starting out. So, I suggest moving as much equipment and gear forward to accomplish a better trim. OBTW, never owned a Volvo, but I sure enjoy my Gevalia coffee! Cheers! 8)
Herschel
Captain

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby kurz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:58 am

Herschel maybe I do the same by using the foil...
kurz
Captain

Postby Highlander » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:20 pm

kurz wrote:Herschel maybe I do the same by using the foil...

Macgregor does not recommend using them although my :mac19: had one on it when I bought it & looked like it had been on there since new I would say !

does ur :macm: have a wedge kit installed on the transom it will give u more trim angle if u enlage this pic u will see mine installed between the transom & the eng.
J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby Highlander » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:24 pm

I also have a lot of equipment up front in the bow also 2 anchor,s & rode , 1 house batt , anchor winch ect.

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby Dreamcatcher » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:19 am

How does all that extra weight forward affect the sailing performance? Is it harder to get it through the wind to tack, etc.?
Dreamcatcher
Just Enlisted

Postby kevinnem » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:33 am

Herschel wrote:I can only speak for my 26X, but the PO did me a lot of favors by putting the two batteries and the two 9 gallon fresh water tanks under the forward V berth. My 13 gallon head holding tank is located under the aft dinette seat, but is rarely that full. :D My two 9 gallon gas tanks are under the cockpit seats in the spaces designed for them. I have not measured my boat trim, but I routinely empty my ballast tank underway. With just one or two adults in the cockpit, the boat starts out with a higher trim angle but quickly, when it gets on plane, levels out nicely. With 5-6 adults aboard, I ask one to move forward to the forward hatch to help balance out the boat when starting to empty the ballast tank. That one person forward is sufficient to bring the trim back to close to level after the initial higher angle just starting out. So, I suggest moving as much equipment and gear forward to accomplish a better trim. OBTW, never owned a Volvo, but I sure enjoy my Gevalia coffee! Cheers! 8)

hey you don't have any photos of your vee berth do you with the batteries ect? I would love to see that.
kevinnem
First Officer

Postby Herschel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:16 pm

The two batteries are under the port V-berth hatch, and the two freshwater tanks are under the starboard V-berth hatch with the fill spout under the port access hatch along with the PO modified ballast tank fill check.
Herschel
Captain

Postby Herschel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:22 pm

The battery wiring runs along the ballast tank under the galley cabinet assembly to my charger and associated battery switch under the small port quarter seat/hatch. My shore power comes in on the ports side just above that area to my electric control panel area.
Herschel
Captain

Postby kevinnem » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Awesome photos thanks!!

2 quick questions.

1) How do you attach stuff to the fiberglass (hull).
2) What is " ballast tank fill check"?

Kevin
kevinnem
First Officer

Postby Herschel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Question #2 first: This is a PVC pipe with valve that was attached to the forward end of the ballast tank by the PO to mimic the subsequent (i.e., post '98) 26X models that I understand switched the access valve forward to the V-berth area from the access just under the companionway coming down from the cockpit where my '98 had it originally. I use a simple dipstick/dowel to check the level of ballast then close the valve for operation.
Question #1: Generally, the battery boxes and freshwater tanks are not attached to the hull. When necessary to achieve stability when heeled, the PO built wooden trays/half boxes that he epoxied to the interior hull that would contain the tank/box and keep it where it was suppose to be. Have never had any trouble with "gear adrift" from that approach. As to tacking with the weight forward, that has not been an issue at all. My 26X turns on a dime with a standard jib without backing it.
Herschel
Captain

Return to Repairs and Modifications