Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Boomkicker Banner

26M Rear Stanchion Replacement fears

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

26M Rear Stanchion Replacement fears

Postby AKMacGuy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:08 pm

New to the site, but I do have a scary story about what happens when you loose the dock lines right as a chinook wind comes through the bay. The end of the story is...the unattached steel cable lifeline gate section, that was close at hand, doesn't make as good of a dock line in high winds as you would think. Now I need to replace my starboard rear stanchion. It seems like I can't get to the other side of the bolts of the severely bent one without cutting a hole in the deck. I don't want to cut a hole in my boat. That scares me, a lot. Anybody know the best way to remove the rear stanchion, if I do have to cut, where is the best place to do it?
All kidding and jokes welcomed if they also come with some guidance. Thanks.
AKMacGuy

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: 26M Rear Stanchion Replacement fears

Postby sailboatmike » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Does this go down in the book of "Seemed like a good idea at the time"?

You may be able to put a inspection hatch in the cockpit seat back to allow you to get to the offending bolts. I had to do this to do some maintenance and secure the bolts for my taga bar
sailboatmike
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Tomfoolery » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:24 pm

I don't have an answer for the :macm: (or even for the :macx: ), but I once had a temporary dock line tied to a lifeline while in a navigation lock, with the water rising. The line got jammed at the top of the static line you run your line around to hold the boat close to the wall, and the boat started tipping as the water was coming up. I had my super sharp rigging knife with me, and cut it real quick, resulting in a bunch of embarrassing rock-n-roll, and a bit of a bend in the lifeline stanchion. But not enough make me want to replace it. But it sure was scary with the boat slowly rolling and no lock operator in sight.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby BOAT » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:41 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:I don't have an answer for the :macm: (or even for the :macx: ), but I once had a temporary dock line tied to a lifeline while in a navigation lock, with the water rising. The line got jammed at the top of the static line you run your line around to hold the boat close to the wall, and the boat started tipping as the water was coming up. I had my super sharp rigging knife with me, and cut it real quick, resulting in a bunch of embarrassing rock-n-roll, and a bit of a bend in the lifeline stanchion. But not enough make me want to replace it. But it sure was scary with the boat slowly rolling and no lock operator in sight.

The life line stanchions are soft - I found out the first day I brought the boat home because I needed to cut one of the starboard ones to get the boat into the new driveway (it was hitting the garage eaves) and I was surprised how easily it cut with a pipe cutter - like ten turns around the pipe and, WHAM! pipe cut! So I went to West Marine to get a sleeve pipe to put on the inside so I could slide the two pieces back together and they just happened to have the very same stainless style pipe that was used on the boat, and they had it in different sizes too! They had the size that fit perfectly INSIDE the original so that I could piece the two cut pieces back together and with the sleeve inside it performed just like it did when it was whole - only now I could remove the top part when needed by just removing the tension line. Others here taught me that the soft stanchions are designed to resist corrosion so they are soft - the cleats are better for dock ties - and they are stronger than the stanchions.

SO - long story short - you can buy replacement pipe and try to fix it that way OR as i would recommend go below decks and start cutting away the liner under there and remove the foam and get out the nuts. Then when you are done you can repair the liner where you cut it - or put in a hatch as previously suggested.

Another option is to buy the hole plugs from BWY that are used on the liner to access nuts - then you could put in your own access holes and plugs.
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Highlander » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:48 pm

I,ve cut lots of holes in my liner & bought these Beckson deck plates to cover the holes they r the same colour as the liner so they look like factory installed

Here,s one I cut the center out for my vent mods u can see the colour better in this pic

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby AKMacGuy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Thanks for all your help, support, and commiserating, the event was definitely a "seemed like a great idea at the time" and "well I guess we won't do that again". It amazed me how fast the stanchion bent, and then the lifeline broke. It was a practical demonstration on the importance of the little bit of give in a line that saves hardware. For added drama to the story, I was inside the harbor with the rock break water downwind...with a Honda 50HP in full reverse I was able to maintain position against the wind and avoided ending up on the rocks that were 20ft away. I just sat there full throttle reverse for 10 minutes until the wind died enough to get back to the dock. Lesson learned! Chinook winds are annoying in the bay and damaging in the harbor. Now onto the repairs.

I took a look at cutting the hole from the inside and I don't think it is possible. From the best I can tell the base of the stanchion is just outboard of where the cockpit floor wall moves up. That means cutting the hole at the top of a 2 and a half foot deep channel only 3 inches wide. I don't have a tool that fits in there. Shoot! my hands barely fit in there. So I am going to cut from the outside in the cockpit area. I bought one of those deck plate covers as Highlander suggested and will post pics when I get it done.

On the good news note, I have always wanted to put a downrigger on the boat and this will give me a means to properly bolt its mounting bracket through the deck with a backing plate inside to make it nice and strong.
AKMacGuy

Postby BOAT » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:13 pm

What's a downrigger? Does John have one? I don't think I know what that is.
BOAT
Admiral

Postby AKMacGuy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:09 am

BOAT wrote:What's a downrigger? Does John have one? I don't think I know what that is.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/ ... 546918.uts

Downrigger, let's you troll for salmon at the depth your fish finder says they are. Sorry, not a new sailing rig option.
AKMacGuy

Postby BOAT » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:08 am

Oh, fishing - fish make me nervous, but I like to eat them. Best if someone else catches them though. When I was a kid and swam in the water if I saw a fish I got scared and got out of the water. Even today if I am under water and I see a fish it bothers me and makes me nervous. I don't like them to get near me.

I guess I will not get a "down rigger"

Thanks for telling me.
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Highlander » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 pm

If u r gonna go with deck plates on the outside cockpit make sure u use the screw in deck plates like these ones I used here
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 10/003.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 10/002.jpg

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby AKMacGuy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:53 pm

Finished the repair, got a nice screw in deck plate and a new (straight) stanchion. Was a little unnerving cutting the hole, but I was happy with how easy it was to seal everything. Now to test it on the ocean. The king salmon should be here any minute. Thanks again for the support guys.
AKMacGuy

Return to Repairs and Modifications