Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Boomkicker Banner

Full Enclosure Price?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Full Enclosure Price?

Postby David Mellon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:27 am

I have the 26M and need a full enclosure. How much did you spend on yours? I am getting quotes from $3K to $5K which seems like a wide spread. If you are in SoCal and like yours, where did you get it?
David Mellon
Captain

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Full Enclosure Price?

Postby Tomfoolery » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 am

My :macx: enclosure came from Dowsar, and a member I sail with who owns an :macm: recently bought one from Dowsar. They're well made, but like anything well made, they aren't cheap.

Mine is 17 years old, and I'm replacing the 'windows' in the dodger now (myself). I don't think they've been replaced before, based on the stitching, but I could be wrong. Regardless, it's still holding up. Jen-ewe-wine Sunbrella, and 30-gauge vinyl windows with zippered panels and screens, made specifically for the :macm: (or :macx: - they're different, of course).

$5599 Canadian converts to $4156 US, so now is a good time to buy.

Here's a recent thread on that.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25488
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby sailboatmike » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:25 am

Sunbrella make you pay a lot for the name, we have a company here that sells equivalent product for $29 ($22US) a meter and thats 2 meters wide, I was quoted $80 a meter for genuine Sunbrella
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby Seapup » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:27 am

Seapup
Captain

Postby RGF » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Unfortunately the last I heard, dowser lost their 26x patterns in some kind of "catastrophe". They said that they would need another X to make new patterns from. I haven't heard if they ever did. If somebody knows different please let me know I've been trying for years to get one for my X!
RGF
Engineer

Postby Highlander » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:13 pm

the cheaper enclosures come with cheap plastic fittings & 7/8" alum frame where as the more expensive one,s like Dowsar r all SS fitting,s & 1" SS Tubing just for starters :wink:

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby bobflshmn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 pm

Check Sailrite.
bobflshmn
Engineer

Postby whgoffrn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:53 pm

I actually really like the dowsar enclosures but they don't make them for X s anymore do they?
whgoffrn
First Officer

Postby havenfwind26M » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi there. I am a newbe and getting ready to launch in Wiarton on Georgian Bay. Just had my Mac at Dowsar over the past week for the full enclosure treatment. Got it home last night and will be reassembling this weekend. They said they made a new set of templates from my boat. I didn't get the seats. Very impressed with the quality and the fit with the 1 inch tubing. I was quoted around $9k all in. Each is different based on model and components. The fitter did say he did 17 Mac enclosures one year.
Looking forward to being enclosed when the blackflies are out.
havenfwind26M

Postby dlandersson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:36 am

Heck, we're practically neighbors. Keep the light on far me when you have a barbecue. :P

havenfwind26M wrote:Hi there. I am a newbe and getting ready to launch in Wiarton on Georgian Bay. Just had my Mac at Dowsar over the past week for the full enclosure treatment. Got it home last night and will be reassembling this weekend. They said they made a new set of templates from my boat. I didn't get the seats. Very impressed with the quality and the fit with the 1 inch tubing. I was quoted around $9k all in. Each is different based on model and components. The fitter did say he did 17 Mac enclosures one year.
Looking forward to being enclosed when the blackflies are out.
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby Starscream » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:37 am

Blue Water Yachts has the M enclosure at $3,000 USD and the X enclosure at $2,700 USD. I've never heard any complaints about their product, so why spend anything more?
Starscream
First Officer

Postby Chinook » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:33 am

I hadn't noticed the price for a BWY X enclosure since we bought ours in 2003. We paid $2200 fourteen years ago. Cost increase of just $500 over that period seems pretty modest. The guy who makes the surrounds, a cool guy named Ed, has been doing all of Todd and Cheryl's canvass work for around 30 years. He does quality work. Our enclosure has held up extremely well over the time we've had it, and it's seen a lot of use. We had Ed replace the plastic window in the dodger a few years back, and he did make a new bimini for us, after looking at our old one, which was faded and patched where the backstay rubs on it when raising or lowering it. He told us we just couldn't be going on our Loop trip looking that shabby, and we agreed. We have the highest regard for Ed and his quality work. (He and Todd came up with the design for the stack pack, the lazy jack system for the main sail, another accessory we love.)
Chinook
Admiral

Postby whgoffrn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Wow 9k for the dowsar....ouch yeah I'll be calling bwy this summer
whgoffrn
First Officer

Postby Wind Chime » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:33 pm

We have the BWY wide dodger with aluminum frame, and a custom made full enclosure to match (including clear and screen companion way doors) been through lots of weather in this set up - heavy rain and wind, and heavy sun! Never had a problem and would absolutely recommend to anyone.

Biggest difference (as noted) is price for frame.

If we were to buy from scratch, I would for sure go stainless steel frame and mounting hardware on the dodger just to make it more sturdy as a hand hold going forward or working the cockpit.

Might still stay will aluminum for the rest just to save a few bucks, as we don't use it as an arch for solar panels or any accessories.

Wind Chime
Captain

Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Postby Neo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:54 am

Is your Boom raised so you can sail with the Dodger up?
Neo
Captain

Next

Return to Repairs and Modifications