Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

SKINNY A/C UNIT

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

SKINNY A/C UNIT

Postby apsaunders » Fri May 19, 2017 9:52 am

I currently have a carpenter making me the two piece entry way hatch that holds the AC Window Unit for the 26 :macm: . It's a great mod whereby you are able to split the hatch in two pieces. The AC sits on one side and the other is removed for entry and exit of the cabin, thereby avoiding having to step over the entire unit. Instead you are able to remove one side and step around the AC unit. I found the mod here and contacted the owner of the mod and he gave me the measurements for my carpenter. From all my research in the archives, it appears to be the best and cheapest way to cool the boat in the hot summer months. The admiral will tell you, the hottest place on the planet is in a marina, in the summer, on a sailboat.

Here's my question:
Who manufactures the most narrow window AC unit?

The more narrow the unit, the more room you have to exit and enter the cabin. From my online research I found a 15.98" wide unit. I'm just wondering if I missed one. Anybody out there know of a more narrow unit here in the US?
apsaunders
Deckhand

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: SKINNY A/C UNIT

Postby Tomfoolery » Fri May 19, 2017 10:50 am

I've always thought a 'portable' style would be the smallest, as you can plop it in the stern somewhere and pipe the intake and exhaust either directly through into the cockpit under a seat, or into a short panel that makes up part of the companionway hatch board. We had a portable clothes dryer in an apartment many moons ago, and that's how I piped the hot exhaust air - a low-profile insert in an upstairs window, so the residents and management didn't see it (not supposed to have laundry machines :wink: ).
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Nauti Nell » Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Try searching for a casement / slider window a/c unit. I looked last year and if memory serves they were 14" or 15". $$$ pricey though. BTU"S were higher than needed also. Quit looking when I saw the pricing trends.
Nauti Nell
Deckhand

Postby apsaunders » Sat May 20, 2017 8:35 pm

We tried the portable unit 3 years ago and was not satisfied. We piped the exhaust out the forward hatch. The exhaust pipe heats the cabin up. It is sorta like a dryer vent pipe, only bigger. During the night I had to get up every 2 hours and empty the drain pan because when it filled up, the unit shut off. The cabin temp during the day was uncomfortable. We were in Marathon, FL during the summer.

Everyone on this forum in the archives recommended the 5000 BTU window unit with either the "Billy Box" for the :macx: or the hatch mod for the :macm: .

One great thing I found in my research, if you buy a window AC at Home Depot, you can return it 3 months later. If you get a Home Depot credit card, they'll take $25 off, plus give you a $25 store coupon and the card enables you to return the unit up to a year later. By then you should know if the one you purchased is right for you.
apsaunders
Deckhand

Return to Repairs and Modifications