Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

it broke..:(

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

it broke..:(

Postby Baha » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:49 am

All,

I just finished a great time sailing the Walton Backwaters on the East Coast of England. What a great place for shallow draft sailing! I had a great time, but want to give/get advice.

If you think your rudder lines need replacing, they do. My starboard line snapped right at the attachment point on the rudder (of coarse) so I will have to fish something through to guide the new line. I am just going to replace everything. What type and size of line do you use?

The post that secures the outboard when not attached to the steering rod snapped in transit. If you have repaired this, where is the access point?

I cracked the helm seat. Advice from you fiberglass repair guys would be very welcome. At least I can take if off to work on it.

For what it is worth, some things I learned--

Get a bigger anchor. I have a little, light Danforth that is great for lunch in calm conditions, but it drug when I needed to sit out a squall...not fun when alone. I got a much bigger Danforth in the used section of the chandlery (10 pounds (sterling)-a bargain). I cannot wait to use it.

Have a spare block. The block on keel lifting line snapped at a very bad time....in shallow water being blown into even shallower water (mud, not rocks..but, still). I got it up, got the heck out of there, then rummaged around the PO's spare parts. He had a block that opened on a pelican clip that was perfect for a temporary fix. I will replace it with one that does not open, then put this one where I can get to it.

Anyway, if you want to come experience some of the best sailing on the East coast, this is your place, I even have a nice guest room!
Baha
Engineer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: it broke..:(

Postby Herschel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:34 am

Sorry to hear of your mishaps. But, it does point to the issue of going over our boats in some kind of systematic way, periodically, to try to anticipate these wear and tear issues. I have had my 26X for almost 14 years now, kept mostly in the water at a slip in a marina. I tend to look at boat maintenance (and accident prevention) through the lens of an old US Navy sailor. I served on four Navy ships during my training and service afloat back in the '60's. Maintenance got "tattooed" into my brain, with a view toward two major kinds of maintenance: (1) day to day repairs dealt with as they come up, and (2) major preventative or major upkeep repairs that needed a lot of time and/or money to complete. The first kind of repairs were done, of course as they developed, but the second type were scheduled in advance as much as possible, about every three years. Consequently, I have gotten into the habit of taking my boat out of the water during the winter every two-three years and make the major repairs, upgrades, etc. In the process of doing this, I go over standing and running rigging and make replacements and upgrades as desired/needed. As to fiberglass repairs, I have used epoxy and fiberglass cloth to strengthen the hull of my dinghy and to patch a hole in my Mac rudder. Not sure if the West System of products are available in England, but I consider them to be top notch. They have good technical assistance and come with a pretty good manual. Of course Utube videos can, also, provide helpful demos of techniques. Don Casey's "Hull & Deck Repair" is an excellent resource to get a basic overview of fiberglass repair. I will close with the suggestion to use some epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth to repair the seat, especially if the crack is related to weight bearing issues. And, if ever in England again, I will take you up on the visit. Cheers, :)
Herschel
Captain

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Baha » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:47 am

Thanks for all the information. I plan to upgrade my shrouds this winter. I did the forestay two years ago. I am not quite sure how the seat got cracked, but think it was when the block on the keel broke and and went backward. All in all, I still had a great time.
Baha
Engineer

Postby Herschel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Baha wrote:Thanks for all the information. I plan to upgrade my shrouds this winter. I did the forestay two years ago. I am not quite sure how the seat got cracked, but think it was when the block on the keel broke and and went backward. All in all, I still had a great time.

Yes, I think the shrouds are important to check/change. I did the same thing, starting with the forestay. I like to clip the old shroud and see what kind of corrosion, if any, was hidden inside. I think it helps with gauging the probable condition of the remaining shrouds and how aggressive I need to be in replacing them. I understand you are in the east of England. Closest I have gotten to your area was Cambridge and renting a punt on the Cam back in 2006. I do enjoy British TV. We get it through Roku/Acorn. It rubs off on me. Find myself going to "car parks" instead of "parking garages" and "sorting things out" instead of "figuring them out". I particularly like the term "tosser" for...well, you know! :P
Herschel
Captain

Postby Chinook » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Last year while going up the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway I strayed out of the dredged channel with both rudders down and cleated off. I heard the loud clunk and discovered that I'd managed to break both rudder lines. As with you, the lines broke right where they connect to the rudders. I found that I had enough line left on both sides to hook them back up. I should replace those lines, but then again, maybe not. I was glad that the lines broke and not the rudders or rudder brackets. Kind of like shear pins for rudders.
Chinook
Admiral

Postby DownSouth » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:17 am

"I have a little, light Danforth that is great for lunch in calm conditions, but it drug when I needed to sit out a squall...not fun when alone. I got a much bigger Danforth "

Interested in Danforth weights - how heavy is the little and much bigger ones?

DownSouth
DownSouth
Deckhand

Postby Baha » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:22 am

I agree about both the shrouds and the rudder lines. I have those "kick up" cleats to secure the rudders down, but they done always work. I noticed I am getting some damage to the gel coat on the rudders where they meet the stops as well. I think I will rig it back with a little smaller line so it might break if needed to
Baha
Engineer

Postby 133bhp » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:34 am

that was my neck of the woods till last year, out of SYH. You can go right round to hamford water at high tide from tichmarch. Get up to snape maltings too, the deben, brightlingsea. loverly area. Im in pembrokshire now. I first trailed up up 3 years ago, spectacular sailing, well worth a visit.

those cleats have an adjuster, near the munumum works well. I run a bowline through the rudder as gives a more central or even pull. any braid will do that will fit the cleat.
133bhp
First Officer

Postby Baha » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:23 am

This was my first time there, and I really loved it. The wildlife alone is worth the trip, and the sailing is outstanding in all but bad conditions. I plan to go back often and maybe store the boat up there next season. It's not too expensive on the trailer.

Thanks for the tip regarding the cleats and using a bowline.
Baha
Engineer

Return to Repairs and Modifications