Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Blue Water Yachts Marine Marketing

Replacing Standing Rigging

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Replacing Standing Rigging

Postby Interim » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:00 am

I have a 94 26s, and I have no reason to believe the standing rigging has ever been replaced. I don't "see" any problems with it, but that doesn't mean there isn't internal damage that I wouldn't see without unwinding it.

Is it economical to make your own? Or, after purchasing materials and tools, does it come out pretty close to what a commercial rigger would charge?

--john
Interim
Engineer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Replacing Standing Rigging

Postby Tomfoolery » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:31 am

I don't know about the 26 Classics, but when I looked at buying the parts and wire and making my own, it was hardly any cheaper than just buying them finished, complete with stay adjuster inner (male) on the bottom and tang at the top, from BWY. I made a backstay first because I didn't want to wait, and mine was fraying.

Oh, and my compound-action crimper (looks like a bolt cutter, but with crimper jaws) doesn't have 5/32" dies, so there's that. :| Buying another crimper would have made is a big loss rather than potentially a very small cost saving, at least the first time out. And I don't expect to have to replace the standing rigging ever again, unless I do something really stupid.

I have a furler, too, so the forestay has a stud roll-crimped onto the bottom end. That's not something you do with a simple jaw crimper, so that was also a BWY item.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Interim » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:49 am

I'm in the same situation. I want to replace them, but don't plan to do it again (barring the unforeseen). While I do like an excuse to buy a tool, it really needs to have more than one use to be worthwhile.

Thanks.

-john
Interim
Engineer

Postby AndyVS » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:34 am

I replaced mine last winter. Old fittings had some corrosion and a few kinks in wires. Ezra at BWY answered all my questions, recommended upgrading my backstay and took good care of me. Sent him my old rigging and a few weeks later the new ones came in along with the the old ones for emergency spares. Everything fit perfectly and mast goes up easier with good wire. I also bought a Loos gauge and am getting better with the rig tuning.
AndyVS

Postby Sumner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:49 am

Replaced mine myself except for the forestay which riggingonly.com made up because of the needed crimp that you can't do.

I also went to a roller furler at the same time and moved the forestay up the mast some along with the hound so .....

.... my upper shrouds and forestay are now not stock lengths. You can buy a crimper that isn't as expensive as the one above but takes longer to use. You can find the info on how to do it here.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-24.html

I'm the type that if I can do it for the same or even a little more than buying it I'll buy the tools and do it myself. I like having the tools after the job is done. I am starting to have car work done by someone else that I use to do :) .

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Sumner
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:09 pm

A good cost saving tip, find a lifting rigging company, I was quoted $800 from a yacht rigger and got a full set made for my JOG boat from the lifting rigger for $230 just because they are not in the boating industry.

Another case of same product but because they dont have yacht, boat or marine in their name they charge less than 1/2 the price
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby kadet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:07 pm

While I do like an excuse to buy a tool, it really needs to have more than one use to be worthwhile.

I purchased my swaging tool to redo my lifelines when I fitted rear cockpit seats. Since then I have used it on many other jobs such as bike ant-theft cables, new furler and forestay, new mast raising system, balustrade repairs, fitting pelican hooks to both ends of the life lines for easy set up etc..

I have even used it to crimp battery and solar panel terminals on heavy gauge wire as well.

I might even use it one day to replace the :macm:s rigging :P

A swaging tool, some crimps and some wire = hours of fun :)
kadet
Captain

Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Sumner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:55 pm

kadet wrote:...I purchased my swaging tool to redo my lifelines when I fitted rear cockpit seats....

I stripped the 3/16 lifelines off the Endeavour and brought them home to make replacements.

I've heard conflicting reports as to if I can use my swage tool to make up new ones. Which swage tool do you have and whose components did you use to make up the new lifelines/ Mine will swage 3/16 which is the lifeline size I need but not sure if it works on the lifeline fittings or not.

Thanks,

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links
Last edited by Sumner on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumner
Admiral

Postby kadet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:19 pm

Mine will swage 3/26 which is the lifeline size I need but not sure if it works on the lifeline fittings or not.

Not sure what you mean by lifeline fittings they are the same as any other rigging using a thimble and swage any swaging tool should work. My tool looks very similar to yours and my lifelines are 3.2mm, not sure what that is in American :).

This is the end of my lifelines near the seat. The other end at the pulpit is just a pelican hook no turnbuckle, that way I can drop the lifelines and leave the spreaders attached to the mast for quicker rigging when trailering 8)

https://goo.gl/photos/uN97Eh1GZJjkqK5k9
kadet
Captain

Postby Sumner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:17 pm

kadet wrote:
Mine will swage 3/26 which is the lifeline size I need but not sure if it works on the lifeline fittings or not.

Not sure what you mean by lifeline fittings they are the same as any other rigging using a thimble and swage any swaging tool should work. My tool looks very similar to yours and my lifelines are 3.2mm, not sure what that is in American :).

This is the end of my lifelines near the seat. The other end at the pulpit is just a pelican hook no turnbuckle, that way I can drop the lifelines and leave the spreaders attached to the mast for quicker rigging when trailering 8)

https://goo.gl/photos/uN97Eh1GZJjkqK5k9

Thanks, first my post was suppose to say 3/16 not 3/26 :( . Your 3.2 are 1/8" and I need to go larger to 3/16" (4.76 mm).

I haven't seen the lifeline fittings that you posted pictures of.

Mine look like those above. I guess I could possibly go to what you have but most of the larger boats here have what I posted and as far as resale value I probably want to stick to that style. Here is a video of what I need to do and I don't think my tool is right...

https://youtu.be/pLUCYgGVL0I

.... you can get a tool like this that isn't too expensive (one in the video is a couple hundred) ...

http://www.suncorstainless.com/hand-swager-0

... but it will take me some time to do them all with it.

Thanks again,

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links
Sumner
Admiral

Postby kadet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Those are press terminal fittings so you need something like this with the correct size dies

you can get a tool like this that isn't too expensive (one in the video is a couple hundred) ...

If you search on ebay for hydraulic swage tool you should find one for under $100 just check it has hardened dies in the size you need normally for balustrading you don't want one for battery terminals as the dies are normally alloy and too soft for stainless steel
kadet
Captain

Postby kadet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:43 pm

Did a quick search on US ebay and found this one :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel ... m9W09iv-Ww
kadet
Captain

Postby Sumner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:29 pm

kadet wrote:Did a quick search on US ebay and found this one :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel ... m9W09iv-Ww

Thanks but that one won't work as it has hex dies. Most of the fitting people are specific about what you should use and most want you to use ones that are specific to lifeline fittings....

http://www.csjohnson.com/faq_marine.php

I've found one of the long handle ones for $200.00.

I know now after more research the one I have won't work on the majority of lifeline fittings as it is designed to crimp nicropress sleeves like what you did. Riggingonly.com does have some fittings....

http://www.riggingandhardware.com/c-963-hand-crimp-terminals.aspx

... that are suppose to crimp with a nicropress tool. I talked to them once about using mine and they 'thought' it would be ok but not sure. I'm going to talk to them again. The fittings and wire for the Endeavour is going to probably run $300-$400, big boats are expensive. riggingonly.com gave me an estimate of about $800 if they did it all and they have good prices.

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links
Sumner
Admiral

Postby 133bhp » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:48 am

Other option is swageless - cheap, DIY, and can reuse. Did mine using HIMOD 6 years ago. Also have swaged with a handmade tool same principle as the hand tool above, but clamped in a vice. Test cut the connection, joints were seamless, going on 6 years in all weather too.
133bhp
First Officer

Return to Repairs and Modifications