Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Blue Water Yachts Marine Marketing

What kind of steering do I have?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

What kind of steering do I have?

Postby eodjedi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:59 pm

So I have a 2005 Macgregor 26m. Do I have Detmar steering or Teleflex? Does anyone know and how can I tell? I want to upgrade as the steering can be very difficult and at the same time very loose and inaccurate.
eodjedi
Chief Steward

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: What kind of steering do I have?

Postby Nauti Nell » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:09 pm

I'm not sure which you have. I have a 2005 26M and changed to the steering disconnect upgrade (http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/5712-1m0.htm) found on BWY and found it to be so much better than the original linkage. It takes longer to raise the seat then to disconnect the steering from the rudders when going from motoring to sailing. The important / impressive part of the upgrade was that it also takes pretty much all of the slop away when motoring.
Nauti Nell
Deckhand

Postby eodjedi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 am

I've already installed that upgrade, but the steering can become very difficult when dropping one rudder down. Also because of the disconnect upgrade, my engine and rudder are not aligned and I can't adjust anymore because there is no more threads. Very frustrating.
eodjedi
Chief Steward

Postby Nauti Nell » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:54 am

I know what you mean about there not being enough threads. Pretty much any good machine shop or mechanic should be able to run a tap down the shaft to add more thread to the quick release rod. Have toyed with that idea but keep forgetting to bring the shaft home. :|
Nauti Nell
Deckhand

Postby eodjedi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Well I feel stupid. I have a tap and die set and I didn't even think of that.
eodjedi
Chief Steward

Postby NiceAft » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:09 pm

“steering can be very difficult and at the same time very loose and inaccurate.”

While under power, while sailing, both?

I have a 2005 :macm: . I’m the original owner, and understand its idiosyncrasies, at least I think I do :D

Under power, steering the boat can be a learning experience. It means constant corrections. Under sail, not any problems. So, what exactly do you mean by “very difficult”?

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby eodjedi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:53 am

While motoring at 5 kts with one rudder down, feels like I'm going to break the wheel turning to starboard.
eodjedi
Chief Steward

Postby C Buchs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:45 am

eodjedi wrote:While motoring at 5 kts with one rudder down, feels like I'm going to break the wheel turning to starboard.

Make sure that your rudder is tied tight all the way down. If my rudder isn't tied down, it is much harder to turn the wheel.

Jeff
C Buchs
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Tomfoolery » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:37 pm

eodjedi wrote:While motoring at 5 kts with one rudder down, feels like I'm going to break the wheel turning to starboard.

How fast are you going, and is the OB and its trim tab aligned with the rudder? Something doesn't sound right. I get that sensation if my rudder isn't all the way down (I usually motor with just one, though that shouldn't matter), as C Buchs highlighted.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:45 am

Is the ladder down, my ladder sits between the motor and rudder and jams the steering if you forget to lift it
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby NiceAft » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:22 am

I really don’t know if this is of any help, but 5Kts is just about the maximum speed you should be motoring with any rudders down. I believe the maximum is 5.213 Kts. At that speed there should not be any boards down. Are you sure you’re doing 5 Kts?

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby Tomfoolery » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:59 am

sailboatmike wrote:Is the ladder down, my ladder sits between the motor and rudder and jams the steering if you forget to lift it

I actually experienced that for the first time just a few weeks ago. I was anchored, dropped the boarding ladder and plopped in my little inflatable toy rowing dinghy, and knocked about taking pictures. But I forgot to flip it back up when I weighed anchor, and couldn't understand why the steering felt funny to one side of center. I thought the cable was going bad.

Just my brain going bad. :P

Oh, and there's incriminating evidence - I took this pic just before rowing back to the boat. It was getting pretty dark, but the iPhone made it look lighter than it really was. :|

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:35 pm

NiceAft wrote:I really don’t know if this is of any help, but 5Kts is just about the maximum speed you should be motoring with any rudders down. I believe the maximum is 5.213 Kts. At that speed there should not be any boards down. Are you sure you’re doing 5 Kts?

Ray

I often do around 7 knts boards down, but never any higher, she tends to jump about violently if you hit a wave on the wrong angle due to the lift being created.

It was very disconcerting the first time it happened until I remembered the great advice I read here about doing above 6 or so knots boards down
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby eodjedi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:57 pm

I'll check the trim tab, I think it's off. Possibly the angle of the motor to the rudder may be a more serious issue than originally thought
eodjedi
Chief Steward

Postby Cougar » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:34 am

eodjedi wrote:I'll check the trim tab, I think it's off. Possibly the angle of the motor to the rudder may be a more serious issue than originally thought

That's a good idea. I chartered an :macm: with a badly (if at all) trimmed Tohatsu 90 once that would almost violently go to SB when I let go of the steering wheel. Really nerve-breaking!
Cougar
Engineer

Return to Repairs and Modifications