Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Boomkicker Banner

Holy Crap Mods Picture Puzzle Test

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Holy Crap Mods Picture Puzzle Test

Postby BOAT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:59 pm

As promised here is the first picture of the "thing" I am creating for a mod for 'boat':

Okay? So, WHAT Is IT? (What am I doing to 'boat'?) Any guesses?
BOAT
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Holy Crap Mods Picture Puzzle Test

Postby Seapup » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:19 pm

Too easy....Deep Fryer. Then run the ETEC on the cooking oil.

Seapup
Captain

Postby BOAT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:58 pm

EXCELLENT guess pup, shows imagination AND creativity!

But, it is not the right answer - but I like these contests because it brings out all kinds of other great ideas that I never thought about.

Let's see if Tom can figure it out with all his fancy cad programs and computers - it's really hard to stump Tom - if he can't get it I will put out another picture that might present another clue to the puzzle.
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Tomfoolery » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 pm

A recessed line storage 'bin' somewhere in the cockpit, like for a sheet?
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby BOAT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 pm

Okay - this is harder than I thought I will post another picture with more clues -

Hint: this is a very common thing on most sailboats larger than ours:

. . so if I add THIS thing to the "thing" does that help?

BOAT
Admiral

Postby Ponaldpe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:35 pm

Hot water shower, and wash down.
Ponaldpe
Engineer

Postby tlgeddes » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Automatic pump out for galley sink.
tlgeddes
Chief Steward

Postby RussMT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:58 pm

Grey water sump pump for galley sink.
RussMT
Admiral

Postby Herschel » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:10 pm

Bilge pump that you can hook up to tubing not shown, plug into a circuit and pump out the occasional bilge water. Got one similar to it. 8)
Herschel
Captain

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Jimmyt » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:38 pm

Shower drain pump?
Jimmyt
Captain

Postby Seapup » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:58 am

Hmmm, not a deep fryer huh. I forgot how healthy you guys are in CA.

I got it this time. I know how y'all like your sushi and smoothies. Thats a live well and a macerator pump, you are making an on demand smoothie machine! Just throw in some fish, flip the switch, open the sink tap and its smoothies for everyone :!:

Seapup
Captain

Postby BOAT » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Very Good to ALL - this is by far the most difficult mod I have ever attempted with the most moving parts.
When tlgeddes and RussMT said pump out for the galley sink I was surprised because the M boat uses a gravity drain for the sink and it works quite well. I suppose if you wanted you could plumb the galley sink into this box also, but I had not planned on it because the thru hull on the galley sink is so close to the waterline I worried about flooding the box. Herschel also shocked me when he said he already had a pump in the bilge and I was wondering how in the heck he ever got a sump box into the bilge and then i noticed he has an X boat. That's the main reason why this mod is a mod - because of the placement of the box and the impossibility of doing this on the M boat. This makes me wonder if Ponaldpe has already figured this out?

Jimmyt gets promoted from First Mate to Captain - he hit the nail on the head - it is indeed a shower sump - a very common item on almost every other boat except ours:
They are SO common that nearly every manufacturer of shower sumps uses the same two boxes - (I studied this extensively and talked to a LOT of manufactures). These two are the 2 smallest commercially manufactured sump boxes you can buy. BIG PROBLEM - neither one will fit in a MAC M boat.

Why?

To get to the LOWEST part of the ship and still have room for a box there is only one place on the M boat - the area between the ballast spline and the wall that holds up the rear dinette seat:
The area in the red circle above along the bottom of the boat on the starboard side is all we got - the area is only 7 inches wide so a sump box can’t be wider than 7 inches to get in there - there IS NO sump box available that skinny. Everything forward of the red circle is ballast tank - you can't get low enough for a sump up there.

So, I had to fabricate a custom sump box 7 inches wide with the same water capacity as a commercial box so that made my box very long - like nearly a foot.
The factory gravity drain on the galley is a work of inspiration here - that is actually a design of simplicity and genius because no moving parts no pumps and no check valves required and it can't flood. I know how we all think the plumbing on the MAC is such a cheapo crappo job but really, after spending months educating myself on bilge and marine plumbing systems I really came to appreciate the simplicity and safety of the factory design.
To do this kind of thing with a sump box with a waterline thru hull you would need a thing called a “vented loop” and a check valve and there is all kinds of marine hardware you must buy and things get really complicated real fast. I decided to UN-complicate things by putting my thru hull much higher than the waterline so I would not need to worry about flooding the box,
All accomplished by putting the thru hull HERE:

Now, you may think I lost my mind putting the shower thru-hull here - but I'm not as stupid as I look - here are the advantages:

1. it drains into a holding tank: by putting a cork in the motor well drain it becomes a perfect holding/settling tank that keeps me out of trouble with California and Canadian environmental laws. I can pull the plug when I am safely out of the no-discharge zone. If I am not in a zone I just let the shower drain into the well and that drains out the galley thru-hull.
2. The new thru hull can't flood the sump box because it's too high above the waterline (like the outboard steering push-rod) - so there is also no need for a vented loop!
3. The elevation from the sump box to the new thru hull is a gentle slope upward perfect for eliminating the possibility for airlock and because I made a custom box that holds a lot of water it can handle any capacity of back-flow from the hose.
4. in an emergency situation it's in a place that is easy to cork. - I carry a cork for the galley thru-hull also (and a rubber mallet) but that one is so hard to reach and made me consider a different location for the shower thru-hull.
5. this sump arrangement allows you to locate your shower anywhere in the boat that you want.

And this is just ONE system of many required to take a shower in the boat the same way the rest of the sailboat community does - here are the OTHER systems I need to create to make this work:

a.Hot Water setup
b.shower pan and curtain or some way to contain the shower in the boat
c.electric system to run the pump out

It's going to be a very difficult mod -
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Ixneigh » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:10 pm

Huh. I just pick up the floorboards, use the cabin floor pan as a bathtub, then bail the water into the sink or over the side. Sponge the rest up.
Heat water on the stove if I want.
Ix
Ixneigh
Admiral

Postby yukonbob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Not sure I’ve heard of a no discharge zone for grey water? Even so your sink would be non-compliant and you’d have a hard time convincing authorities that your transom quliaifes as a secure ‘holding tank’. Ix has it right, especially if you just hooked them sump pump to the hole (make it bigger) at the back of the M model liner at the companion way ladder base and pumped from that. It’s a natural tub and would keep the floor clean if used regularly.
yukonbob
Admiral

Sailboat: Other

Postby Jimmyt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:14 pm

I’m interested to see your approach to the shower problem Boat. That will be a future mod for me too. Was hoping to have it done by now, but an unfortunate lightning strike and subsequent home reconstruction has had me otherwise occupied.
Jimmyt
Captain

Next

Return to Repairs and Modifications