Holy Crap Mods Picture Puzzle Test

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Holy Crap Mods Picture Puzzle Test

Post by BOAT »

Ixneigh wrote:Huh. I just pick up the floorboards, use the cabin floor pan as a bathtub, then bail the water into the sink or over the side. Sponge the rest up.
Heat water on the stove if I want.
Ix
That's what I was going to do too and with this gadget made by the Whale Pump people you can install a drain that fits right flush into the floor of the MAC and it will automatically pump out your shower water!

They make a drain attachment that is totally flat so you just throw your carpet over it when your not using the shower and there is not bump or anything! If your going to use the floor as the shower pan this is a great way to pump it out.

That was what I was going to do, but I decided for my purposes a portable shower pan would be a better option - at least that's the direction I am going right now - I actually might change my mind :? I'm still noodling this thing out
Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd »

yukonbob wrote:Not sure I’ve heard of a no discharge zone for grey water? .....
All the reservoirs in New Mexico and Colorado do not allow grey water discharge so we can’t use the sink. Although if we made a grey tank with a pump out then we could contain it.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

yukonbob wrote:Not sure I’ve heard of a no discharge zone for grey water? Even so your sink would be non-compliant and you’d have a hard time convincing authorities that your transom quliaifes as a secure ‘holding tank’. Ix has it right, especially if you just hooked them sump pump to the hole (make it bigger) at the back of the M model liner at the companion way ladder base and pumped from that. It’s a natural tub and would keep the floor clean if used regularly.
Yes, the floor of the M boat is a perfect shower pan - believe me I did think of that - and even thought my plan calls for a portable pan I am still seriously considering putting a drain in the floor liner anyways for many reasons including those you mentioned.

As for the grey water well - I already talked to harbormaster at Avalon and talked to the Park Ranger at Channel Islands and the game warden at Reds Beach over here at Camp Pendleton and they all maintain no-discharge zones and all say that my temporary motor well idea is indeed acceptable for containing grey water - they said I just can't use it for black water.

Most of the people that make up these silly rules in America live right here in California guys, so I have the best info.
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL »

The only times I talked to a harbormaster was after someone asked where all of the water was coming from when I was draining my water ballast after I pulled my Mac out of the water. I told them "I'm draining my holding tank. Look, there's a brown trout." (Speaking of "Holy Crap", I think my post is appropriate here.) The harbormaster came over and I told him what I was really doing. The next time I said that, he came over and told me to stop saying that to people.
~ Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL :mac19: :macx:
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

California is a strange place - you would not believe how many people from other countries have come up to me at the launch ramp speaking a foreign language because my Sprinter van has a German licence plate on the front.
So far I have counted Danish, German, French people from Switzerland, and a lady from the Netherlands (and I have no idea what language she was speaking). When I tell them I am from Oceanside they are a little disappointed but we keep talking and they are really nice and I have even made friends. Most of them even know about the MacGregor! Folks from "over there" are pretty smart (almost always smarter than me :P ).

Another thing I get at the ramp are a lot are people who have never heard of water ballast - usually not boat people, but tourists from San Francisco or Oregon who glare at me and point at the water pouring out of the ballast valve.

I appease them by saying with a loud voice to my wife: "Wow Hon! I did not think we drank THAT much beer!!"

Usually that will get them to walk away in disgust and I can finish my day without all the judgment but it makes my wife angry at me. (I can't win :( )
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

tlgeddes wrote:
yukonbob wrote:Not sure I’ve heard of a no discharge zone for grey water? .....
All the reservoirs in New Mexico and Colorado do not allow grey water discharge so we can’t use the sink. Although if we made a grey tank with a pump out then we could contain it.
Yes sorry, I was referring to salt not freshwater, BOAT's in salt.
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

BOAT wrote:
yukonbob wrote:Not sure I’ve heard of a no discharge zone for grey water? Even so your sink would be non-compliant and you’d have a hard time convincing authorities that your transom quliaifes as a secure ‘holding tank’. Ix has it right, especially if you just hooked them sump pump to the hole (make it bigger) at the back of the M model liner at the companion way ladder base and pumped from that. It’s a natural tub and would keep the floor clean if used regularly.
Yes, the floor of the M boat is a perfect shower pan - believe me I did think of that - and even thought my plan calls for a portable pan I am still seriously considering putting a drain in the floor liner anyways for many reasons including those you mentioned.

As for the grey water well - I already talked to harbormaster at Avalon and talked to the Park Ranger at Channel Islands and the game warden at Reds Beach over here at Camp Pendleton and they all maintain no-discharge zones and all say that my temporary motor well idea is indeed acceptable for containing grey water - they said I just can't use it for black water.

Most of the people that make up these silly rules in America live right here in California guys, so I have the best info.
Looking into it it seems that discharging greywater is not applicable by state law but some harbors, marinas and eco areas may also have local ordinances preventing the discharge of greywater again salt water. I think you're right BOAT they'll be handing out fines to the fish for defecating in the water soon.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

yukonbob wrote:
BOAT wrote:

Looking into it it seems that discharging greywater is not applicable by state law but some harbors, marinas and eco areas may also have local ordinances preventing the discharge of greywater again salt water. I think you're right BOAT they'll be handing out fines to the fish for defecating in the water soon.
It's quite ridiculous but you need to consider that the population increase is really what's driving 90% of all the environmental regulation that you see all over the world. Places with flat population numbers usually are pretty easy going with environmental control. I have a hard time arguing with the environmentalists over here because they are always throwing one argument at me I can't refute - they always remind me how fast the population will double - and then double again. As long as the population over here keep growing at an exponential rate I must learn to expect more and more environmental regulation. This is an anchor on economic development but it's just the way it is.

There are places with explosive population and no regulations like China and India and their economies are booming as a result. Once they are rich enough to start enjoying "The Good Life" i'm sure they will start cranking down the regulations too.

That's the whole point of getting a nice warm shower inside the boat - it's just another block in that stack called "The Good Life" - you know - "6 billion people on the planet and every last one of them trying to have it all".

I admire you guys that prefer the more "naturalist" methods and I'm sure your naked showers above deck are a pride to your Sierra Club fiends I have to deal with the reality of being married and also living in a populated area with huge government oversight - it's like the reality of driving a car and not denying that your part of the gross polluter problem - (lot's of deniers out there driving SUV's to the Sierra Club and Surf-rider meetings).

I an just a human.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

BOAT, not just SUV to the Sierra Club. How about the irony of towing a fuel efficient, wind powered Mac with a not so fuel efficient SUV, or pickup truck. I, and a whole lot of others are guilty of that.

Ray
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Okay, so back to the picture puzzles -

Need to re wire some things to move stuff and make room for shower parts. Adding AC outlets too in this mod and taking care of a few other things I have been meaning to do so a good solid way to get cables from the top liner to the bottom liner without going all the way to the back of the boat was an idea I had been wanting to do for a while -
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Been there & done that u can go up the front of the D/B trunk front headboard on the left side of the mirror there is enough room to install a plastic stick -on cable cover 2" wide & completely out of site behind the D/B trunk & u can run wires from both sides under the floor in that area & u can also run wires around the sliding hatch on both sides from front to rear or versa just took me lots of time to figure out how to drill holes through the roof ribs & then was a pita to feed the wiring through lol
can b done just very very time consuming ! :x

J 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Highlander wrote:Been there & done that u can go up the front of the D/B trunk front headboard on the left side of the mirror there is enough room to install a plastic stick -on cable cover 2" wide & completely out of site behind the D/B trunk & u can run wires from both sides under the floor in that area & u can also run wires around the sliding hatch on both sides from front to rear or versa just took me lots of time to figure out how to drill holes through the roof ribs & then was a pita to feed the wiring through lol
can b done just very very time consuming ! :x

J 8)
It is a major pain - and one of the reasons i am doing this is to eliminate a lot of the cable in the boat - having this passageway for wires closer to the middle of the boat is going to allow me to eliminate almost a third of the cable I have in the boat.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Dang BOAT your mods are always first rate.

Love that hinged seat back.

I can't wait to hear how this works out. Whatever it ends up, I know it will be nice.

These boats are simply too small for a lot of things. My best crack at shower is a hanging solar shower. Simple and crude but workable. I can't fathom having water splashing around inside the cabin.
Waiting for what your noodle dreams up.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

MAN! what a PITA! This mod is going to take all winter.

LOT's of parts to this mod - but before you can do all the plumbing an stuff you need to make room for all the plumbing an stuff so since the moving of electrical stuff to make room for plumbing stuff had to be done first I decided to take care of a lot of other little electrical things that have bugged me over the years:

As mentioned before - I wanted a place closer to the middle of the boat to run wires from the top liner to the bottom liner instead of going all the way to the transom or to the head to get from top to bottom so I started with a new box conduit system about mid ships here in the red circle marked B:

By moving the wire transit from the rear and bow to here I was able to ELIMINATE HALF OF THE CABLE ON BOARD!

In the picture you will see red circles with a letter next to them:

A: This is the top part of the box conduit and also the housing for a new electric panel that will control the AP and sump pump.

B: This is the new location of the AP "Brain" - it will be behind a opening panel.

C and D: are the two backbones on the ship - they are interconnected (GARMIN on one RAYMARINE on the other) C: is RAYMARINE and needs to be relocated under the aft berth.

E: This one always bugged me - the charger has status lights I could not see without opening the dinette, so I flipped the mounting of the charger around and put a peep hole in the bulkhead so I can see the status lights without opening the compartment.

F: Peep hole for the AP sensor indicator light like above and had to move sensor up 2 inches to make room for sump and shower pan storage.

SUMP is located on the other side of the bulkhead right there inside the compartment and is lower than the floor liner we walk on by almost 2 inches - the lowest part of the boat accessible to accommodate a sump.

Quite a mess but in the end I think I eliminated about 10 pounds of copper wire. That should make up for the new sump and power panel.

After that - on to the plumbing and hot water! (I am doing a hot water system that will supply both the shower AND the galley that requires no moving parts and no electricity - Kevin probably knows what direction i am going).

More to come later.
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by K9Kampers »

Are you going to make a central status / info panel to replace random awkward peepholes?