Diy canvas

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Diy canvas

Post by Ixneigh »

I started redoing some inside pillows this week. And not because I really wanted to do it, but because it seems impossible to get small work done for any price around here. And even you can, the wait time is too long.
I bought a cheap singer and made some new pillows for the boat out of cheap material bought on eBay. They didn't come out that great but even so it was worth it because I can make then exactly how I need, without having to explain everything to someone else. I made two sail storage bags that look like square pillows. One sail storage bag for the light air drifter that looks like a smaller pillow. A cylindrical pillow that is stuffed with spare or extra cold weather clothing. I have several more to make. One for towels, and extra bedding that is currently stored in a plastic bin. And some for outside because I need the smooth wipe clean vinyl since I have pets. Who knows maybe I will make one to put the spare anchor in, and give that one to guests.
A friend has a sailrite machine but I doubt I have enough projects on the boat to make buying one worth it.
Once you get a few basics down these projects are kind of fun. Simple stuff like different color pillows can change the while look of the boat too.

Ix
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Diy canvas

Post by sailboatmike »

Awesome stuff, I don't mind a good sewing session, its very satisfying to make things yourself and I think you learn to appreciate the amount of skill the people that do it professionally have to make it all nice and neat.

I have made new cushions for the cabin, they are not brilliant but they are not all bad,

I'm eyeing off the material to make a spinnaker snuffer, maybe over winter I will get to that one https://www.scribd.com/doc/26116334/DIY-spinnaker-sock
topcat0399
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 2-24

Post by topcat0399 »

what would your high school buddies think.....pillows for everything :P
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

They can have the one with the anchor in it.

Here, catch!

Ix
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike »

REAL MEN SEW, those that cant wish they could.

Forget guns and beer, give me a sailrite walking foot sewing machine :P :D
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

Guns are useful but sewing machines might be better. If there is an intruder, ask them to thread the machine for you. That will give you plenty of time to call the police :D :D