LED lights for cabin and navigation.

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

kevinnem
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

LED lights for cabin and navigation.

Post by kevinnem » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:47 pm

Okay,m I tried the search, but it was coming up with too many things, my apologies in advance.

So 2 questions.

1) I had to take out the interior lights because they had all rusted and shorted out .. so suggestions on replacements?
2) has anyone replaced the red/green/white nav lights with LEDS? I seem to remember people had trouble with them because the bulbs are jsut "slightly" the wrong size for drop in replacements?

Appreciate your help.

Kevin

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: LED lights for cabin and navigation.

Post by RussMT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:57 pm

I've replaced every bulb with LEDs.

Factory didn't pay attention to polarity, so you may need to reverse wires.

I used "Warm" white festoon bulbs. The high temp bulbs make red look pink and green aqua.

https://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Festoon-Nav ... stoon+bulb

LeePierce
Deckhand

Post by LeePierce » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:48 pm

+1 on the polarity.

I found some led fixtures that had a 3 position switch, one position was red, the other white.
The red is great for night vision.

Nav I replaced the front fixture with an attwood 2 color light
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2NM-Attwood-LE ... 52006b1b7e
I have not found a rear one, but I may put on an arch and incorporate them into it.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Any recommendations on any really thin tape lighting in LED? I think the two color is a great idea - blue or amber for normal at the dock or anchor and red for underway (to help night vision) - I would really like to do that but I do not know what is a good quality tape light that you guys would recommend.

As for the post question i did change out the nav lights with that LED festooooooon lamp (polarity needed) and I replaced all the interior lighting with flush LED lighting. The LED is a great energy saver.

ris
First Officer

Post by ris » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:32 pm

We replaced the bulbs in the nav lights as others mentioned above. The LED bulbs in the original nav fixtures are at least 3 times as bright as the originals. You must get the warm LED bulbs as RussMT stated in order for the colors to be correct. We also used warm bulbs in the white/red LED fixtures in the cabin.
Boat, we bought these lights and put the white in the back of the boat in the aft storage area and it is like daylight back there.(26X) They are 12 inches long and have a glue strip on the back. You can get different colors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YX ... UTF8&psc=1

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:55 pm

BOAT wrote:Any recommendations on any really thin tape lighting in LED? I think the two color is a great idea - blue or amber for normal at the dock or anchor and red for underway (to help night vision) - I would really like to do that but I do not know what is a good quality tape light that you guys would recommend..

I've used lots of LED strip lights around the house. I just bought some RGB strips and controller for a project. Similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/RP-LED-Water-res ... pa?ie=UTF8.

Remote lets' you pick the color you want. I'm having trouble making a warm "yellow" white. But they are easy to hook up.

As for Red/White LEDs in the cabin, you could always play the reverse polarity game. Reversing the polarity switches between Red/White.

I've got some blue LED strip lights on the boat. Nice color and plenty bright, although it's more mood lighiting as it's hard to see some things. I was shocked at how much power these LEDs use. The strip lights burn a lot more power than I hoped.

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:21 pm

I replaced all the cabin light bulbs with equivalent size LED, though in slightly lower brightness. I used bright whites (cool) to make them effective for seeing things but with a lower overall light level.

I replaced anchor light bulb, steaming light bulb, and all three nav light bulbs with cheap replacement LED bulbs (mostly festoon type), in the original fixtures. I looked for the highest number of LEDs for each bulb size, so their light would look as smoothed and consistent as possible from a distance. Great redution in power consumption, crazy bright compared to incandescents, and they just look “cleaner”.

I had an issue with the color of my red and green, as Russ mentioned above. But i fixed it by wrapping the cheap bulbs with yellow cellophane (color filter paper). I have a post about it, but the picture links are broken. I’ll get that fixed and put a link in here. Many others have also done it.

The amount of effort wil be inversely proportional to your budget. (As with many things in life) If i had to do it again, and money was no object, i would have bought more expensive bulbs. However, they do work in their current form, so i won’t worry about it until they need to be replaced.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:37 pm

vizwhiz wrote: i fixed it by wrapping the cheap bulbs with yellow cellophane (color filter paper). I have a post about it, but the picture links are broken. I’ll get that fixed and put a link in here. Many others have also done it.
Wow, what a great idea. And the LEDs don't get hot so it won't melt the cellophane. BTW, the standard incandescent bulbs get hot hot hot. All that power wasted as heat.

My aft running light is the cool white LED. It almost looks too white (and bright). I may try the cellophane and see if it looks any better.
i won’t worry about it until they need to be replaced.
Which will probably be in 10,000 hours of use.

--Russ

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:51 pm

RussMT wrote:
vizwhiz wrote: i fixed it by wrapping the cheap bulbs with yellow cellophane (color filter paper). I have a post about it, but the picture links are broken. I’ll get that fixed and put a link in here. Many others have also done it.
Wow, what a great idea. And the LEDs don't get hot so it won't melt the cellophane. BTW, the standard incandescent bulbs get hot hot hot. All that power wasted as heat.
Exactly my reasoning...cool LED, shouldn’t be a problem. So far,i’ve only used them once. But they seemed to work fine.
My aft running light is the cool white LED. It almost looks too white (and bright). I may try the cellophane and see if it looks any better.
i won’t worry about it until they need to be replaced.
Which will probably be in 10,000 hours of use.
I’m not sure if the yellow will accomplish exactly what you’re thinking of, but my stern light is very bright also. I think it is the best that way, because it is very distinct. There can be no question it is intended to be seen.

In order to figure out what i should do, I actualy looked up color theory (for lights) and found a great website that helped me understand what happens with both white and colored bulbs when going through colored filters (like the green or red lens on the light fixture). Once i figured out from there why my green lights looked blueish, what the color combination issue was, i figured out what color filter would help correct it. Turned out to be a yellow filter. It was a very fun little science experiment.
[/quote]

LoHo
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by LoHo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:04 am

A question on polarity: will reversing +/- damage the LED bulbs, or just keep them from working?

LeePierce
Deckhand

Post by LeePierce » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:21 pm

LoHo wrote:A question on polarity: will reversing +/- damage the LED bulbs, or just keep them from working?
Does not hurt anything.

LED = Light Emitting Diode = A normal diode is a 1 way electrical switch designed to have power applied in either direction, and the diode allows the electricity to flow or not flow based on the direction/polarity of the electricity.
The fact that some ways of making a normal diode results in it emitting light makes it a light emitting diode but was not the original intent of making diodes, it is just a happy accident we are all now using.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:37 pm

kevinnem wrote:2) has anyone replaced the red/green/white nav lights with LEDS? I seem to remember people had trouble with them because the bulbs are just "slightly" the wrong size for drop in replacements?
Assuming you have the original Aqua Signal Series 20 bi-color bow and white stern lights, these bulbs should fit, and have the correct color. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/dr-led-- ... --14982078 They're also claimed to be USCG approved 'light engines', and therefore suitable as replacements for the original incandescent bulbs.

Do be advised that the old Aqua Signal lenses will get yellow and foggy, if they haven't already. I've replaced mine with Perko, mostly because they're the only ones making a surface mount stern light like the original, and my originals were pretty tired. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko--h ... ecordNum=7 But dig that crazy price! I got mine for half that from another source. And the bow light is available in chromed brass or SS, with a big price difference.

IMO, you don't need an LED for the Masthead Light (aka 'steaming light') because it's only used when running the engine, while the other navigation lights are used under sail at night (always). Same for the anchor light(s). LEDs are really great for saving batter power at night. :)

Oh, and I used a Dr. LED P338 Wedge Star bulb for my Perko anchor light - 2 mile, 360 degree, non-polarized wedge base. I have a reversing switch (as do many others here) to alternate between the Masthead Light and the Anchor Light using the same 2-conductor wire and plug, but had to use a diode for the Anchor Light LED as well as the incandescent Masthead Light (of course) because the LED unit has built-in rectifier circuit diodes so it's not polarity sensitive and would light with either polarity, just like the incandescent.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Won't hurt the LEDs. This is how I have my anchor light and steaming light wired using the original 2 factory wires. Back at the panel I have a DPDT switch that reverses them. So I have a "mast light" switch and then toggle between anchor or steaming (legally only one can be on at a time).

There are some LEDs that don't care about polarity.
My new anchor light LED bulb doesn't respect polarity. It would light either way regardless of polarity. So, I wired in a standard diode to prevent it from lighting on the opposite polarity.

--Russ

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:IMO, you don't need an LED for the Masthead Light (aka 'steaming light') because it's only used when running the engine, while the other navigation lights are used under sail at night (always).
This is true. Under power, electrical consumption isn't an issue.

However, I replaced mine because the filament in the incandescents didn't always travel well on the trailer with vibration. I'd find after stepping the mast that the filament on the steaming light had gone out. A real PITA to fix when you aren't expecting it. LEDs are much more durable. I replaced the bulbs on my ATV with LEDs for this reason.

If you want to be smart, buy those LEDs from Tom's link. They claim to be 2nm and in a legal dispute, that would be your backup that you are legal. But $27 each! Wow.
I'm cheap and went with Amazon bulbs.
It's been a few years and they have improved LED technology.
I did a side by side with the original and found the LEDs to be brighter and MUCH cooler. (look at the light "shadow"). I couldn't put the LEDs in direct camera view or it blinded the lens.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:13 pm

LeePierce wrote:
LoHo wrote:A question on polarity: will reversing +/- damage the LED bulbs, or just keep them from working?
Does not hurt anything.

LED = Light Emitting Diode = A normal diode is a 1 way electrical switch designed to have power applied in either direction, and the diode allows the electricity to flow or not flow based on the direction/polarity of the electricity.
The fact that some ways of making a normal diode results in it emitting light makes it a light emitting diode but was not the original intent of making diodes, it is just a happy accident we are all now using.

Hey Lee, why does light come out of the diode? In a regular bulb I can understand that because it's just heating up a piece of metal until it glows from heat - but why do the diodes glow? :? :| I don't understand :|