Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Boomkicker Banner

Now, what is THIS lunacy?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: Now, what is THIS lunacy?

Postby apsaunders » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:48 pm

BOAT,
I just received my stainless steel ring from California. My Extreme Zodi tank came last week. A big thank you goes out to BOAT and kmclemore for all the info on this mod.

I just removed the galley face and noticed that where the tank will sit in the floor of the galley, the sink drain hose is right there and exits the galley towards the stern. My question is how did you deal with the drain hose? I'm not sure that just lengthening the hose will solve it. Did you also drill another hole through the galley to reroute the hose?
Many thanks.
apsaunders
Chief Steward

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby BOAT » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:58 pm

I redid my drain on the galley with PVC - the hard sch40 PVC like you use for sprinklers and sfuff - I did that because I wanted to help support the galley top so I ran the drain pipe pvc right up the drain under the sink and I have the elbow running along the bottom of the inside of the galley to the rear and then along that back face inside thru the hole so I could put a hard hose barb right there to help the hose move better as I slide the galley.

I will need to make a picture - but my whole point in putting hard pipe on the drain was to stop the twisting of the hose - I wanted the hose to roll evenly as I slid the galley so it drained properly and did not have kinks or extra stress.

I sure hope I have time away from my desk tomorrow to go out there and take a picture - work has been burying me - I already had to cancel a day of sailing I had planned for tomorrow because of work.

(Oh, when can I retire?? :( :( )
BOAT
Admiral

Postby kmclemore » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:28 pm

apsaunders wrote:.... A big thank you goes out to BOAT and kmclemore for all the info on this mod.

I take payment in slices with anchovies.
kmclemore
Site Admin

Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby BOAT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:21 pm

Ok skipper - I was out in the boat (finally) to work on this latest project I knocked out in less than 40 minutes, (should look familiar to all you folks):

It's a new cover to cover up the auto pilot equipment - I made it just a little wider so that you can't see any of the steering equipment peeking out like you could with the old one.

I also got the new hose shower head installed on the Zodi hot water heater:

AND that brings us to the issue at hand about the drain on the galley and I guess I totally forgot when I answered in my last post but YES! YES I DID PUT A NEW HOLE IN THE BACK OF THE GALLEY! And I totally forgot I did it! :?

BOAT
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:30 pm

So I tried to get some pictures inside the galley but the front has been installed and I am not going to remove it to take a picture so all I have are these lousy pictures taken inside the darkness:

As you can see here I did indeed drill a hole in the BACK of the galley and ran a PVC pipe out that hole and put a 90 on it on the other side:

NOW, why in the h'ell did I do this? Well, H'ELL IF I KNOW!? :? but I can assume that is has something to do with my desire to stop the hose from twisting and kinking and really, I think that day I was a little off my game from drinking too much vodka because the bouncing galley kept spilling my vodka all over the place and i was a little mad, It's hard to remember anything from that day - so don't hold it against me. :|

Anyways, today when I looked at the galley lo and behold there was that hole back there and I noticed on the back side I put a 90 and a hose barb - I can only assume that I was going to make sure if there was a leak it was going to be OUTSIDE the galley, not INSIDE. ??? :? (Who knows?)

BOAT
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:43 pm

The bottom line here is that you gotta stop spilling your vodka or you will drink too much and start talking like Highlander - - or just stop the galley from wobbling - (wait, was it really the GALLEY that was wobbling?) :( Now I'm not sure.

BUT - I NEED To TELL YOU there is something I did I forgot about! (Something else besides the hole!) I put a GASKET on the water heater!!

(A gasket you say? YES, A GASKET!) You get them from the pool supply house - they use them for pool lights (or was it a silicon gasket for a pressure cooker?? :? Geeze, I can't remember now) I'll get back to you on thet,

But anyways you get these gaskets! Here I have a couple of them in my hand!! :

(GASKET PICTURE!):

And the gasket attaches to the top seam on the water heater like this:

The reason you need this gasket is so that the warm water stays hot all day long because the gasket traps the warm-ness? (warmed?) anyways - it helps the water stay hot all day - and also it keeps water from getting splashed down into the water heater compartment while your wife is doing the dishes:

it's been a long day - i'm tired. :(
BOAT
Admiral

Previous

Return to Repairs and Modifications