Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

I'm back....new to me

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

I'm back....new to me

Postby Curwen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Hello all,

After selling my Mac 26D last summer, I managed to find a Mac 26D that is a year newer and in better shape...at least at first glance. There is lots of room for repairs since I got the new to me boat for less than half of what I sold my last boat for. :)

I am super excited about upgrading from the old two stroke motor to a four stroke motor.

I noticed there is some damage where the lower port shroud attaches to the cabin. I am having a repair shop take care of that for me. I would be concerned about structural integrity and having a shroud tear loose under load.

My real concern is that while sitting in my driveway during a rainstorm, there was water in the starboard bunk. Are there any good threads/discussions/tips on chasing down where the water could be coming from? I currently suspect the windows since they look like they have been replaced and I can see a little bit of debris between the window and the hull. If I take the windows out, do they need to be replaced or can they be reseated?

This boat doesn't have an installed stereo, so I'm thinking that a waterproof portable speaker would be a good stereo solution. Is anybody have a preferred external bluetooth speaker on their boat?

I store my boat on a pad beside the house. I live in an hoa with fairly restrictive requirements, one being no car ports. My neighbors have trees that overhang the pad and drop sap and leaves that stain the hull. I'm not in the market for a full cover at this time, but has anybody built a full boat storage bimini that protects from falling debris?

I also have a question about what looks like small, surface stress cracks. What should be done about these? The material feels solid around them, but should they be filled in?

Thank you so much for any advice/information.

Curwen
Curwen
Engineer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: I'm back....new to me

Postby macowneril2015 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:05 pm

I am not sure on how well my experience with my :macx: compares to the 26D but I had water leaking in through where the rubber boot for the rudder linkage enters the boat in the rear starboard side that lead to the exact same problem. I know bwy does not have the boot anymore so I am unsure how I am going to remedy this situation.
macowneril2015
Chief Steward

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Gazmn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:30 pm

Grab a bunch of this & make a plug Bro 8)

Whether with the boot or not. Wrap it around your wires & even somewhat in-between to water tight! & with whatever else is needed- make your plug.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fabral-1-4-in-x-40-ft-Butyl-Rubber-Sealant-Tape-40BT/207149821
Gazmn
Admiral

Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Postby yukonbob » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:28 am

Regarding Bluetooth speaker we bought a JBL charge 2 and it’s awesome. A buddy brought a similar one on the northern roundup a few years back and it sat in the open cockpit in the pouring rain while we reeled in hundred pound halibut, kicking it around and it didn’t miss a beat. I bought the JBL as it’s waterproof, can charge a phone or tablet off it and can pair multiple speakers for surround. I would be very reluctant to ever install another hardwired stereo.
yukonbob
Admiral

Sailboat: Other

Postby Gazmn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:52 pm

I store my boat on a pad beside the house. I live in an hoa with fairly restrictive requirements, one being no car ports. My neighbors have trees that overhang the pad and drop sap and leaves that stain the hull. I'm not in the market for a full cover at this time, but has anybody built a full boat storage bimini that protects from falling debris?

Wondering if you can simply cover with tarp or painter's canvas the part the trees affect.
Gazmn
Admiral

Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Postby mac n cheese » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Curwen wrote:Hello all,
Curwen

I've got some rain water coming in on my 26X also which I hope to address this summer. I plan to run a garden hose over the suspected entry by isolating certain suspected
areas and go back inside to source it. One area at a time. It may not be the windows leaking after all. I've heard on the 26X that the chain plates are a major culprit.

As for the surface cracks you mentioned....well I've seen them on my boat and don't sweat too much as it appears to be only the gelcoat. It's only when the fibers start to break
is when I would worry.

As Gazman has mentioned a cheap China tarp and some bungees should keep the sap off from the trees. A windstorm could take it all away and your only out $5 :wink:

As for a Bluetooth speaker I think yukonbob already summed it up with a benchmark speaker like JBL. Or a Sony. On Amazon.com their is litterly hundreds to chose from depending
on your budget. I would go waterproof just because.

I bought this budget Sharkk BT speaker last summer and actually like it. It's waterproof, will take an SD card, 20 watts and a 4400 mAh battery all for $50. Bass is OK...and the
reviews aren't bad either. https://www.amazon.com/SHARKK-Waterproof-Wireless-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B01AIRPLYO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523828408&sr=8-4&keywords=sharkk+bluetooth+speakers

It's no JBL or Sony but does the job. :)
mac n cheese
Deckhand

Postby NiceAft » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:05 pm

I have absolutly no experience with a D. I do know that over the years there have been many threads about the source of leaks, and a lot of the suggestions mentioned the stanchions.

For what it’s worth, check it out.

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby macowneril2015 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:00 am

Gazmn wrote:

Wondering if you can simply cover with tarp or painter's canvas the part the trees affect.

Be careful if you go this route and avoiding attaching it in any way that it can move or damage the mast / mast carrier. I purchased my boat at an auction and did not realize at the time that a tarp was attached ( at this point it was shredded) at some point over the time at the storage facility winds caused the tarp to bend the mast and mast carrier beyond repair.
macowneril2015
Chief Steward

Postby Interim » Thu May 24, 2018 2:53 pm

I'd bet it is leaking in where your shroud attached. I pulled the plate, rechaulked, and re-riveted mine, and it cut the water infiltration to about 10% of previous.

--john
Interim
Engineer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Postby Ixneigh » Thu May 24, 2018 4:59 pm

All Macs either have or will have cracks in gelcoat finish :P
Ix
Ixneigh
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby sailboatmike » Thu May 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Ixneigh wrote:All Macs either have or will have cracks in gelcoat finish :P
Ix

I think that goes for just about any fiberglass boat, fiberglass moves, gelcoat is brittle, the two are not 100% compatible qualities however have worked well for many years, but it is inevitable that cracks in the gelcoat will form in high stress areas
sailboatmike
Admiral

Return to Repairs and Modifications