Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

Flush mount fishing rod holders?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Flush mount fishing rod holders?

Postby Kopfjager » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:36 pm

I used Google search with no success so I'll ask here. Has anybody sunk a flush mount rod holder in their gunnel? I don't like the look of the stanchion mount and if I flush mount it I can use it for a grill stand or to mount a filet table as well. I don't know what's under the gunnel there though. I would assume wasted space with Styrofoam. The exact area I'm thinking about is in between the Genoa track and the dock cleat. Anyone done this??????
Kopfjager
Just Enlisted

Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Re: Flush mount fishing rod holders?

Postby Y.B.Normal » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 am

I looked at the idea, but didn't like the idea of cutting holes in the gunnel, plus I was concerned about how to add a drain to the rod holders to keep water from filling them and becoming stagnant.
Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Nauti Nell » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:57 am

I'll be at my boat later in the week and can take pics of the rod holders welded onto my transom seat railing. They're set up for trolling while sailing but could be put in a different position to facilitate grills and things. Will second not trying to drill holes into the gunnel. Just another way for water to enter the cabin. There are enough of those already......
Nauti Nell
Chief Steward

Postby Kopfjager » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Yeah I'll be honest, I was going to install them with 5200 to prevent water leaks but didn't think about them filling up with water. I guess the stanchion mount will have to do. I'm always looking for ways to maximize the use of wasted space in the boat no matter how big or small.
Kopfjager
Just Enlisted

Postby NiceAft » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:19 pm

Just a point of view.

Never use 5200 on anything you may wish to remove (for whatever reason) in the future. Much better to use 4200. Holds very well, but can be removed with effort.

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby Kopfjager » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:25 am

NiceAft wrote:Just a point of view.

Never use 5200 on anything you may wish to remove (for whatever reason) in the future. Much better to use 4200. Holds very well, but can be removed with effort.

Ray

That's a great point and I had given it some thought. If I cut a hole that big in the gunnel, whatever is going there is there to stay. I wanted the nice stainless rod holders with the NPT fitting in the bottom. I was going to cap and seal it permanently on the bottom and use 5200 to seal the flange. The only issue as was mentioned earlier, is how to get any water out of the rod holder after a rain. They do make caps so that is a possibility.
Kopfjager
Just Enlisted

Postby Gazmn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:15 am

My :macx: has a hinged flip up Captain's seat. & while I've long ago cut off the horizontal seat part. I do lean against or sit on top of this hinged transom/ gunnel part. I also cut two large holes in them to place cups [Red solo like] into & installed a flip up fillet station. That's the only place on my rig that I would install the kind of rod holders you intend. As I could dump it or just let the water fall through. IDK if the S has anything like our opening transom section where this idea might float...
Gazmn
Admiral

Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Return to Repairs and Modifications