Mast Carrier

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
macowneril2015
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Mast Carrier

Post by macowneril2015 »

I had to order a new mast carrier, does anyone have the length of theirs? Mine appears longer (less stable) than I expected so if anyone could provide the length of theirs it would be greatly appreciated.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Mast Carrier

Post by NiceAft »

Just in case there is a difference, specify :macx: as your measurements needs.

Ray
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Here, I just took these, I hope that's what you were looking for but let me know if not and I can take more.

2002 MacX
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

Mine (original) is the same as pictured above. It is a bit wobbly by itself. I secure my mast / support to the aft stanchions for transit. It was scary to see how much play there was in that support unsecured while going down the road.
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

K9Kampers wrote:Mine (original) is the same as pictured above. It is a bit wobbly by itself. I secure my mast / support to the aft stanchions for transit. It was scary to see how much play there was in that support unsecured while going down the road.
I don,t know why ! It,s called flexibility just like in an airplane wing ! :D :D :D
Now if u really want to see wobble & flexibility just watch how much the center of ur mast moves up & down doing 70 m/p/h going down the highway :o

I now have an adjustable leg that goes onto the mast base plate up to the mast for trailering & storage

J 8)
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

Highlander wrote:… leg that goes onto the mast base plate up to the mast for trailering & storage
I have the same kind of support fabbed from pvc pipe after observing the bounce in a Mac convoy on the highway!
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

Thank you, I will add a little extra support then, I just became concerned when I saw it wobbling.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

We tow a LOT, and always without any extra tie-downs or supports. We tow on semi-paved roads and with potholes the size of bathtubs, and have hit some serious frost heaves and damaged pavement, at speed. Never had a problem with the setup as is. Add some extra support if it makes you feel better but I think the mac fleet must rack up hundreds of thousands of miles per year on the road with stock setups, and I haven't heard of anyone losing the mast.

Famous last words..maybe.
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

Starscream wrote:We tow a LOT, and always without any extra tie-downs or supports. We tow on semi-paved roads and with potholes the size of bathtubs, and have hit some serious frost heaves and damaged pavement, at speed. Never had a problem with the setup as is. Add some extra support if it makes you feel better but I think the mac fleet must rack up hundreds of thousands of miles per year on the road with stock setups, and I haven't heard of anyone losing the mast.

Famous last words..maybe.

Thank you, I don't plan on traveling too much I just need to get it to a couple locations within an hour distance.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I use one of my bow dock lines, secured at the eye splice to one of the stern cleats, forward through a genoa fairlead, up and around the most a few times, back down and through the other genoa fairlead, and then cleated to the other stern cleat. Sometimes I use the cabin winches instead, but still through the genoa fairlead blocks.

Keeps it from wobbling, which in turn puts a lot of force into my already sloppy FRP helm. I'm sure it can take it, but the damage is cumulative, so I work to slow the accumulation, and leave that to the main sheet. :wink:

I also have a wooden mid-mast support at the hinged step. Just a couple of two-by-fours with 45 deg. miters facing each other to form a vee, and bolted together.

Metal fatigue is cumulative, and unlike ferrous metals like steel, non-ferrous metals such as aluminium will fatigue no matter how small the stress cycles (the lower the stress levels, the more cycles it can take), so I cinch it up to minimize reversing (especially) stresses, like wiggling sideways, for travel. But that's just me. :|
Snowdancer
Just Enlisted

Post by Snowdancer »

I agree that some extra support would be helpful at least some strapping to ensure the support is stabilized. I tarped and wintered my boat in Enderby BC where there is usually minimal snow but the most snow in 50 years, Bent the mast support, broke the pedestal and ripped off the back life lines. Good news was boat was dry and mild free except for Bimini stored inside.
Filled sink with desiccant and left two small containers under stern that converted to water.
Now I need to fiberglass it and my swing Keel.