Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Boomkicker Banner

Fixing Leaky Chain Plates 26x

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Fixing Leaky Chain Plates 26x

Postby sailertrash » Wed May 16, 2018 1:58 am

Hey guys.

I discovered that the chain plates from the shrouds on my '02 26x are leaking pretty bad when it rains. I have removed the 3 bolts on the sides of the hull and pulled the chain plates out. I also want to remove the other piece that is mounted directly to the hull and reseal it as well, but it is attached with rivets rather than screws. Or maybe it's just glued down really good Not sure how to go about removing it. I don't want to break anything, but I'm considering drilling out the rivets and replacing with screws. Not sure if that is a good idea or not.

The other question I have is what to use for sealant. The research I've done so far has led me to a few ideas. The sealant needs to be flexible from what I understand so silicone is out. Sounds like butyl tape and/or butyl rubber sealant are the top picks. I found some butyl tape, but I can't seem to locate any of the sealant that comes in a tube. One boat supply shop recommended Sikaflex construction sealant which is a flexible polyurethane. I have been able to locate some of this, and I also have a similar flexible polyurethane sealant made by Loctite and another by Gorilla.

Any suggestions from someone who has done this project before? Thanks.
sailertrash

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Fixing Leaky Chain Plates 26x

Postby Tomfoolery » Wed May 16, 2018 11:10 am

Those are basically just covers. Two rivets hold them, which you can drill out easily to remove. I used butyl tape to seal them. Don't use something stiff, as the chainplates flex in/out a little with changes in load, mostly from the inner stays, which are angled inboard and not vertical. But if you do, use it between the chainplate and the deck, so it's not imparting any load to the cover. I cleaned the hard caulk out before I realized that I was wasting my time; just needed to rebed the cover to stop water ingress. :|

I believe I used aluminium pop rivets to reinstall the covers - not worried about galvanic corrosion, especially since they're not structural.

Other sources of leaks that can look like chainplate leakage include anything bolted or screwed to the deck, especially the sliding hatch keepers, and the rub rail and deck joint, or so I believe from discussions here but haven't checked out for myself.

I think that gray stuff is sealant I hadn't finished cleaning, but it was one of the first jobs I did when I got this boat, so recollection is getting a bit hazy. Easy job, though. Do the forestay cover while you're at it.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Fixing Leaky Chain Plates 26x

Postby sailertrash » Wed May 16, 2018 9:42 pm

Cool thanks. That’s great info going to get after it tonight
sailertrash

Return to Repairs and Modifications