Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

New Mast

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

New Mast

Postby Lmaraist » Sun May 20, 2018 7:08 am

This winter a nor'easter felled a tree on my 26M and broke the mast and mast holder :| . I now need a new mast and I am located in Massachusetts by the Cape. Any suggestions as to how I may find replacements for both t he mast and holder. The spreaders and attachments all seem ok.
Lmaraist

Re: New Mast

Postby Tomfoolery » Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 am

BWY sells the bare extrusion, and can put the holes and sail slot opening in it too if you like.

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3211-1m0.htm

As to the mast crutch, you might have to go to a local marine SS fabricator and have them copy it, perhaps reusing the roller and axle if it's still useable.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Lmaraist » Sun May 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks, you may be a lifesaver. I'll contact them tomorrow.
Lmaraist

Postby sailboatmike » Sun May 20, 2018 4:21 pm

I think its a pretty common extrusion, if you get the extrusion number just about any rigger should be able to get you one.

The issue with masts is delivery, being the best part of 30 feet long your day to day delivery driver can't deliver it so it get expensive
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby tlgibson97 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:36 am

I got my mast from BWY shipped to Atlanta. The mast was around $600 drilled. Shipping was right around $600. I'd have to look but I think it was a roughly $1200-$1400 replacement for me.
tlgibson97
First Officer

Postby Signaleer » Mon May 21, 2018 10:06 pm

For an X - I bought a 28 foot beach cat mast for 100 bucks ... I'm sure a used 30 footer would be useable on an M. The weight is something to watch, but it doesn't have to be the same extrusion. If money is not an issue, the answer is above.

I think ultimately, long-term - I need a 30 to 32-foot carbon fiber spar... :)
Last edited by Hamin' X on Tue May 22, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sp
Signaleer
First Officer

Location: Foley, Alabama...2002 26x & 2002 90 HP Mercury Salt Water 2-stroke

Postby Highlander » Tue May 22, 2018 2:40 pm

carbon fiber spars break a lot more easily than Alum ones one little nick or scratch & u will be toast shortly after

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Lmaraist » Tue May 22, 2018 3:18 pm

So far the folks at BWY have been very helpful. They can match up exactly what I have, so I'm going with them.
Lmaraist

Postby sailboatmike » Tue May 22, 2018 10:24 pm

We all need to support BWY, its rare to have such a resource ans such people dedicated to helping us keep our boats going, yes I know they do make a living from it, but I'm not opposed to that, they provide a rare service and excellent advice.

This announcement was written and authorized my SAILBOAT MIKE who has no affiliation with BWY other than being a happy customer :P
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby Tomfoolery » Wed May 23, 2018 6:37 am

And they're an advertiser on this site, which presumably means they're helping to support it financially. So I try to send business their way when I can, including my own, and I've found them to be competitive on most things, and often with better pricing. Where a person sends their money is, of course, up to them. :wink:
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby Highlander » Mon May 28, 2018 9:37 am

Tomfoolery wrote:And they're an advertiser on this site, which presumably means they're helping to support it financially. So I try to send business their way when I can, including my own, and I've found them to be competitive on most things, and often with better pricing. Where a person sends their money is, of course, up to them. :wink:

Yep glad to hear u talk of supporting them too Tom I just bought a new H/P steering cable & some steering spare parts off them :)
But while u r on the subject of giving away money $$so freely I promise to buy from BWY anything I need for further repairs & maint. or Mods if u r willing to donate to my cause !! :D :D :D

Rocky , Just bought new jib & main sails off them I believe he just received delivery last wk , I,d offered to pick them up for him for free ! but he declined saying he wanted new sails not my good used one,s ! :o :)

Talking of supporting this site I just did earlier this yr & received an nice thx u note from Heath, so don,t b shy guy,s let,s all do our part to support Heath,s site , even if u only come on here to browse thro the Mod,s or other sections lookin for a post on how to do something on ur boat once in a blue moon ! the knowledge & advised u gained from other peoples Mods or maint. issues will save u a ton of time & $$$ ! :wink:

As for this site how many of u almost went bonkers or got deranged & went crazy when this site crashed a little while back & ur Admirals had to put u into a straight jacket ! :? :P , now that was an extremely painful event I never want to go thro again ! :D :D :D :D

Thx again to Heath & all the Moderators who help administer this site for all our Mac sailing family community. where else can u rant on about ur great & not so great sailing experiences , ur crazy Ideals or suggestions or advise ! :)

We can not direct the wind ! But we can adjust our sails !

Just Sayin That,s All

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Late2sail » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:58 pm

It's been a while since I have been on / posted - but much appreciation to Heath for his willingness to keep this site up and running - I was one of the one's going 'bonkers' when it crashed.
Again, much thanks!
Late2sail

Postby Duquette5 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Late2sail - where you located? I'm in central Mass near Sturbridge and hit up the folks at Mass Marine Parts when I need oddball stuff. Granted a mast is not oddball but Jon has some great stuff in stock. I recently picked up rear stainless rails for $40 and a bunch of teak to make some hatches with for a very reasonable price. Jon and his father have a bunch of masts and sails in stock. If you're ever in Quincy check them out.

Not affiliated or anything just a happy customer.

Mike
Duquette5
Deckhand

Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Return to Repairs and Modifications