New Radar Arch

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

New Radar Arch

Post by Highlander » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Ordered this back in Mid dec. so now the installation begins as soon as I get my measurements for the base mountings as I intend to mount it off the stern behind my aft stern rail seats

ships as three sections & has an adjustable width & is also foldable as the base is hinged

Keep u posted

J 8)

Orkia
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: New Radar Arch

Post by Orkia » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:31 pm

I have been wanting something similar. From where and what did you order?

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:12 am

Orkia wrote:I have been wanting something similar. From where and what did you order?

https://victory-products.com/collection ... cts/cn3276

look up page 494
https://rekord.esamco.com/home/media/cataloguenew.pdf

CN3276 Polished 316 Stainless Steel 1 9/16" Tubing.
3' 11" Height. Adjustable width 6' 4" - 7' 10".
The U-shaped base is 2" wide 10" long the arch is actually 50" tall 10 1/2" wide at the base & 6 1/2 " wide at top

J 8)
PS That $ price is Cad so it would b cheaper for u in US $ :wink:, when I ordered this one they had 3 of them on back-order already so I,m assuming they will still have 2 more in stock now ! , the Manufacturer moved from Thailand to China so not sure if that would bother u or not ! , the Cheapest price I could find in something similar made in North Amer. was $1400.00 in Alum & $1900.00 in S/S + shipping I got quotes to have one custom made in S/S $1900-$2700.00. the $620. price included duty & shipping cost from China , I only paid $60. ups shipping from Van. to Vic +taxes . I would think there should b a marine dealer in USA who sells them too, if not give these guys a call !

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:59 am

The additional transom Base mounts I,ll b adding will raise the height approx 18-20" I know exactly when I do some measuring today

J 8)

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:36 pm

Highlander wrote:That $ price is Cad so it would b cheaper for u in US $ :wink:,
Maybe, but didn't someone just try and start a trade war?

vizwhiz
Admiral

Post by vizwhiz » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 pm

I did an aluminum arch that is 2” tubing on my S.
http://www.fishonsports.com/240.html should be the Jr. Fishing Arch.
I like mine... I added a fishing package to get extra rod holders and such.
About $750.00, free shipping.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:46 pm

I used one of these

Paid the handsome sum of $160Au (around $120USD)

Made from 32mm Aluminium of decent wall thickness, may pay to put a length of dowel through the horizontal tubes just for extra stiffness, I have not done this but its one for the jobs list, not that its weak or bends easily, just if you are going to lay the mast on it for extended travel it may be good.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oceansouth- ... CsoSJTUKYA

This is what it look like on the boat

Orkia
Chief Steward

Post by Orkia » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 am

Highlander - Are you planning on mounting a mast joker to it for travel. Let me know how it works out.

Has anyone used an aluminum version to support the mast? Does it come in pieces so that a dowel rod can be placed in the middle cross bar?

The Fishon website is a find.

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:41 pm

orkia
I,m planning on mounting on four 1 1/4" transom mount stanchions with a inverted U-channel on top connected together to make a base plate with a third 1 1/4" support brace on each side coming off the the gunnels horizontally for extra support going down to the boat right now to make some measurements , the original mast support will b attached to this arch with cross braces as is my old single arch seen here it will b replaced with the new double arch

I,ll take a pic, of the crude drawing i have later & post it to give u some idea !

In the meantime here,s another link for arches I found
http://www.nauticexpo.com/boat-manufact ... 20778.html
why buy Alum when u can get S/S 40MM for the same price as those 30MM Alum ones
J 8)

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Orkia wrote:Highlander - Are you planning on mounting a mast joker to it for travel. Let me know how it works out.

Has anyone used an aluminum version to support the mast? Does it come in pieces so that a dowel rod can be placed in the middle cross bar?

My boat lives mast up in the yard, however I have had the mast down several times and there is little deflection in the Aluminium tube, the unit comes in a kit form and you could easily slip a a piece of dowel or whatever would fit into the horizontal cross bar. As yet I have not bothered with it because as I say we live mast up, a roller could easily be fitted to the cross bar. I'm really happy with our unit

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:50 am

Orkia wrote:Highlander - Are you planning on mounting a mast joker to it for travel. Let me know how it works out.

Here,s my plan of attack today I,m going to fabricate an alum base plate chanel so as to fit the rear transom leg to allow for the arch base plate to sit on , if u click on the two fist pic,s they will rotate 90%
once fitted the Alum chanels will b used as templates to make replacement ones out of S/S
that rear lower leg will attach to the transom here , the upper 1 1/4" leg seen with the small anchor mount attached will b turned out approx 70 degrees this will then not only support the arch but also prevent side to side movement & the forward brace will prevent forward /rear movement along with the two upper braces already there for the single arch , then I can attach my radar radome , solar panels & remount my other stuff VHF / TV antenna,s ,wind instrument, sonic bird repeller & poss, dinghy davits for my two person dinghy

J 8)

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Interesting....

But where will you mount your missile launchers? :o

:P

G

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:18 pm

beene wrote:Interesting....

But where will you mount your missile launchers? :o

:P

G
Well when u git yer butt out here u can tell me :D :D :D :P & when I take the boat outa the water next wk to remove my rudder brkts to reseal them & install new hardware & likely up-grade the mounting bolts from 1/4" to 5/16" & as that,s really a two person job & mount my radar arch & another transducer, to kill 3 birds with one stone so to speak :) . but I might hold off until I get the S/S base plates made from my templates as they r talkin 2 wks to make them :x
Port side template alum brkt mounted and port side arch section it will b higher than the one I have there now so that,s good for my radar radome as it will clear my bimini

well off I go back down to the boat & try to figure out the angles for the base plate mounting legs three angles to measure bouy it,s times like this I really miss havin my big shop :(

J :wink:

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Up-date well she is now mounted just to add the antenna mounting arch on top which is already done just need to take some pic,s , once I make new mounting brkt,s to put the aft traveler back on for my back stay I,ll then add two top support braces back on .
the radome is on temp. trying to decide on right position I may go to a smaller stiffer board & mount directly above the top of the arch but on the port side as shown

J 8)

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:48 pm

BOAT said

Are you mounting a wind sensor to that arch?

My old antenna arch had my wind sensor on it as seen in this pic , I removed all the antenna,s & removed the antenna arch so as I could mount the new radar arch

I had to widen the old antenna arch to fit the new radar arch by 11 1/2" as u can see there r now two T fittings there which will b turned from vertical to horizontal & a 1" U shaped s/s tube installed which will hold a remote controlled removable search light

J 8)
Last edited by Highlander on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.