Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

YouTube Sailors

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

YouTube Sailors

Postby sailboatmike » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:43 pm

I love watching Youtube sailing videos, I find them great because I can check out what mods other people have done to their boats and what they are doing.

While most are great I'm finding there are a increasing number have BAD ATTITUDES when you suggest other or better ways they may of done things.

Unfortunately one was a Macgregor owner who got his 26S or D for free and is doing it up, I suggested to him that maybe he could of done something differently / better and got a STREAM OF ABUSE in return, and I mean ABUSE, apparently he feels he is the world expert on everything Macgregor despite never having a boat before and never working on a boat before. I mean what would I know I have only had boats for the last 30 plus years.

A couple of days ago while watching some guy sit down and lecture about how he was going to get off the dock because he was being pushed on be wind and tide I suggested that he may of been better springing off the bow, not off the stern like he was telling us was the "Correct" way to do it, I just suggested that he may of been better to spring off the bow, well only to be replied to with a torrent of abuse, apparently I knew nothing about sailing, he was right, I had never sailed in tidal conditions OBVIOUSLY.

These are just two examples of at least 1/2 dozen I have had in the last few months.

Whats wrong with these people, they put their ideas on a PUBLIC platform and are happy to make money from their video views and most have their hand out and ask people to "Donate to our Patron Account" but don't want any scrutiny or comment apart telling them how wonderful they are.

Really I don't care what they do, but I get concerned when they are telling people how to do things and what they are saying is blatantly wrong, incorrect and in some cases plain dangerous.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: YouTube Sailors

Postby kmclemore » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:21 pm

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty... and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
kmclemore
Site Admin

Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Postby Nauti Nell » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:56 am

Didn't know that was Shaw. Always thought it was a colloquial saying in the south or mid-west.
Along those same lines, paraphrasing here.....When arguing with an idiot those looking in have a hard time determining who's who.....
Nauti Nell
Chief Steward

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby C Buchs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks to the great moderators here who keep this forum from turning into what you've described.

Jeff
C Buchs
First Officer

Postby Jimmyt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:02 pm

I always told the folks in my group that if they even thought I might have made a mistake to bring it up. Or, if they thought they had a better way to do something, let me know. I figured if I couldn't defend my position, I shouldn't be sitting in the big chair. And by defend, I mean engineering proof - not who can win on profanity count. Any idiot can get personal and discuss your mother's resemblance to certain domestic animals or her employment in the world's oldest profession. If you are truly an expert at something, you should be capable of discussing it without getting abusive.

I agree with you. If he can't tell you rationally why he preferred his approach over yours, maybe he's just a loud mouth with a video camera.

Although, he's making a living getting paid to make sailing videos - with an apparent limited knowledge of sailing... Makes me wonder if I'm really the smart one.
Jimmyt
Captain

Postby sailboatmike » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Thinking back it reminds me of a past commodore of our old club.

The old club has one race a year, but its one of the more famous trailer sailor races in Australia.

Anyways, the rules say that you MUST carry 4 hours of motor fuel MINIMUM being a 40 NM race (4 hrs before 1/2 way gets you back one way, after 1/2 way gets you home)

Anyway, the wind died, they pulled out and decided to motor home, a BIG front was due through but as I was in charge of the race I decided to let the race happen as it wasn't due till 10pm.

Well they ran out of fuel, still an hour out, but instead of pulling into a marina on the way decided to try and sail home ( not wise, the chances of sailing up the channel to the anchorage are near on impossible)

They were that last boat out, I checked the weather RADAR front was about to hit, I radioed them and told them to batten down and throw out as many anchors and as much rode as they had,well the front hit 70mph winds (120kph), they got SMASHED but still floating, they called a MAYDAY, so the poor Coast Guard (volunteer here) have to go out to assist, Coast Guard get tangled in their anchors and have to spend the night rafted to them.

In the morning untangle, Coast Guard tow them home, Ex Commodore gets off the boat and proceeds to ABUSE the Coast Guard, BECAUSE HE DIDN'T NEED HELP (even though he had called MAYDAY). Upon investigation by the race committee it was found out that this guy had needed to be saved by the Coast Guard on at least 4 other occasions because he thought he knew all about sailing and was a great sailor in his mind.

Sorry I just don't get that sort of mind set.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby Highlander » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Yep I hear u , some people think I,m a great sailor & I tell them I,m average at best ! :) & always learning , but I do really admire good sailors when I see them & most of them r pretty modest & always willing to give u advise if u ask them with a reminder diff strokes for diff boats , so what works well on one boat may not on another ! as they have sailed on lots of boats & learned form good & bad experiences !

J 8)
PS some of these U-tube sailors giving all that free advise r Dock Queens, I,m thinkin :)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby sailboatmike » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:20 pm

Highlander wrote:Yep I hear u , some people think I,m a great sailor & I tell them I,m average at best ! :) & always learning

Funny thing is I have never met what I would consider a "GOOD" sailor who thinks they are good sailor, all the good ones know that there is much too learn and we could never learn it all in 5 lifetimes.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby beene » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:48 am

sailboatmike wrote:
Highlander wrote:Yep I hear u , some people think I,m a great sailor & I tell them I,m average at best ! :) & always learning

Funny thing is I have never met what I would consider a "GOOD" sailor who thinks they are good sailor, all the good ones know that there is much too learn and we could never learn it all in 5 lifetimes.

x2

G
beene
Site Admin

Postby Cougar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:54 am

Is it illegal to post links to those Youtube videos?
Cougar
Engineer

Postby beene » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 am

Cougar wrote:Is it illegal to post links to those Youtube videos?

Yes

Here's on of mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPne_NQjtug

G
beene
Site Admin

Postby Ixneigh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:08 am

All I know is, many of those guys get some cute young thing, and collect money from ads and patrons. Life is good ;)
They have expensive looking boats and slick video production.
One team abandoned a big multihull for grounding damage but I bet many on this board might have been able to salvage it.

Ix
Ixneigh
Admiral

Postby Tomfoolery » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:56 am

beene wrote:

Yes

G

Nice vid, Geoff, but there's an unshaven fat guy at 2:22 you might want to edit out. Kinda spoils the nice aesthetic of all those beautiful Macs. :P

:D :D
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Ixneigh wrote:All I know is, many of those guys get some cute young thing, and collect money from ads and patrons. Life is good ;)
They have expensive looking boats and slick video production.
One team abandoned a big multihull for grounding damage but I bet many on this board might have been able to salvage it.

Ix

Just for giggles check out the Patreon pages of some of these "Girl in a bikini" sailing channels, I know one was making $150,000 a month just off Patreon PLUS their Youtube income and they were given a new $500,000 catamaran. I personally don't support channels like that, there is no real sailing content of value. I prefer channels like "Keep Turning Left", a cranky old bloke sailing around England, he does real research into the places he goes and his videos are of the highest quality (he was / is a freelance sailing journalist) and the videos are all about sailing and the places he goes.

I'm in the process of starting my own channel, I may even wear a bikini (sure to get zero subscribers) . Just doing maintenance and mods on the boat things, I have learnt plenty from watching other peoples Mac videos. I mean could you imagine a How to dock a Mac video, it would go viral (now I just have to learn how before making a video of it :P )
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby beene » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:
beene wrote:

Yes

G

Nice vid, Geoff, but there's an unshaven fat guy at 2:22 you might want to edit out. Kinda spoils the nice aesthetic of all those beautiful Macs. :P

:D :D

I was waiting for you to start charging me royalties for having you in the video 8)
beene
Site Admin

Next

Return to Repairs and Modifications