Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Boomkicker Banner

Repairing holes in ballast tank

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: Repairing holes in ballast tank

Postby BOAT » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:35 am

Well, since the hole is already there why not put hose fittings on them? - then put two real big fat bilge pumps attached to the hose fittings - one for each hole.

Then hook them up to a switch on the battery and see how fast you can evacuate your ballast! An electric ballast tank empty-er (er?) That would be cool!
BOAT
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Divecoz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:26 am

Well except that I have had one for about 8 years now? On a Trip to SWF before I retired here. I was left grounded on a sandbar because of super low tide and the fact that the winds had blown a foot of water out of the entire harbor..I went back to my brothers House / Dock and we plumbed the macerator over board pump to allow me to pump out my ballast tank..I posted the story and mod here on this board about 8 years ago???
BOAT wrote:Well, since the hole is already there why not put hose fittings on them? - then put two real big fat bilge pumps attached to the hose fittings - one for each hole.

Then hook them up to a switch on the battery and see how fast you can evacuate your ballast! An electric ballast tank empty-er (er?) That would be cool!
Divecoz
Admiral

Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Postby BOAT » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:30 am

It sounds like a great idea - especially for folks that run the shallows a lot. So where do you get the water out of the ballast tank? Do you run a hose down the vent hole? How exactly does it work?
BOAT
Admiral

Postby RussMT » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:44 pm

I bet those screws for the bilge pump are fine. If they aren't going through (which is amazing), you could leave them.

If it were me, I'd take them out. Then I'd fill them with epoxy and epoxy the dang pump/switch thing down and be done with it.

I don't have a bilge pump, but if I did, I'd have a portable one with a long cord and hose so I could move it where needed. Do you get water in there? If so, finding the leak might be a good idea also.

--Russ
RussMT
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:53 pm

Last edited by BOAT on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BOAT
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:54 pm

I have two bilge pumps and one of them is just like Russ said - it's just a pump on a cable that sits in the lower part of the boat with an internal float switch - the other pump is inside a container that is connected to the shower but if the water level in the bilge goes higher than the walls of that container that bilge pump will flood and it will start pumping - and now I am also putting in another pump that can be worked from the cockpit manually with a handle - it's called a shale gusher pump - I wanted a whale pump.

I do not recommend putting holes in the ballast tank Image
BOAT
Admiral

Postby K9Kampers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:05 pm

BOAT wrote:...it's called a shale gusher pump - I wanted a whale pump.

- shale gusher pump? Isn't that a big pump used in fracking?! :P
K9Kampers
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby BOAT » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:18 pm

No! It's the one with the picture of the whale on it:

That's the one I want - the WHALE pump -

it has a whale on it - that's how you know
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Jwnj » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks for the tips, will probably take a screw out and see how far they go first (after checking the outside of the hull for punctures that is)
Jwnj
Deckhand

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Divecoz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Well for starters its a 2005 M so my vent is in the forward V Berth. I have a Macerator pump in that V berth storage area for the head that pumps that product overboard when and where its legal. So with the use of a couple switches and a solenoid I can pump from either the holding tank for the head or draw ballast water up through the vent of the ballast tank, thus pumping the ballast overboard lightening the boat and floating her if there is 8-10" of water covering the grounding surface.
BOAT wrote:It sounds like a great idea - especially for folks that run the shallows a lot. So where do you get the water out of the ballast tank? Do you run a hose down the vent hole? How exactly does it work?
Divecoz
Admiral

Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Previous

Return to Repairs and Modifications