Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

User avatar
Neo
Captain
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by Neo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:49 am

Ok by request I'll run through how I eliminated the Mac dance and made my Spreader bars and bracket detachable but more than that how I setup my Spreader bars without the use of any tools.
This is not solely my idea/work (thanks Tom!) but please note I take no responsibility for any modification you make and I am NOT recommending you do this. If you think this mod is dangerous then please DON'T DO IT.


Image
This is my Spreader bar kit bag. Actually it's just a nylon bag I got off of my $20 Spirit Level but it stops me knocking the bars around the inside of my Mac :D ... and the handle makes it easy to drop the bars down through the hatch to the rear berth.

Image
Firstly you are going to need a Square Wire Lock Lynch Pin. It has a diameter of 9.3mm and is 75mm long ... You may notice that my one is not Stainless and I'm still trying to find one this size in Stainless ... Mine is not showing signs of corrosion but it's best replaced annually or bi-annually at least.

Image
Yes I use the Lynch Pin instead of the pivot nut and bolt on the spreader bracket. Some of your may be concerned but I've inspected the pin for wear after each Sail and it's holding up really well.
You might note that I still have the traditional nut and bolt holding one of the spreader bars in. I only pull out one bar/side so the other sides nut and bolt stays there permanently.
Last edited by Neo on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Neo
Captain
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by Neo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:50 am

ImageImage
So I use a Stainless 6mm pin (with ring-ding) to secure the other bar to the bracket.
Last edited by Neo on Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Neo
Captain
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by Neo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:58 am

ImageImage
This applies to both sides of course. I leave the Spreader bar ends secured to the shrouds (in their proper place). Then I use a Stainless 6.3mm diameter Pin (with spring locking ball) and a large Ring-ding just to keep the pin permanently on the shroud (above the Bar-end) and ready to use, not loose!!...You must drill out the Exact size hole for the spring ball to hold the pin in.
Please note my Stainless Wire shrouds might look kinda weird because they are all covered in blue Polyurethane tubing.

So before raising the mast I roll it back (no Dance!) and secure the Mast to the Mast Base. Then I snap on the Spreader Bracket, Bars and Bar ends (takes two mins). I make sure the shrouds aren't catching on anything and raise the Mast.

That's It ... You do need to source the right parts and this mod does need some workshop work but I personally really love this setup on my :macm: .

All the best.
Neo

User avatar
BOAT
Admiral
Posts: 4243
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Oceanside, CA MACMJ213 2013 ETEC60

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by BOAT » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:35 am

What was the reason for this again?

K9Kampers
Admiral
Posts: 2350
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:32 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: NH, 2001 MacGregor X - Tohatsu 50 / 2013 Ford F150

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by K9Kampers » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:57 pm

BOAT wrote:What was the reason for this again?
Right there in the first sentence...
Neo wrote:Ok by request I'll run through how I eliminated the Mac dance and made my Spreader bars and bracket detachable but more than that how I setup my Spreader bars without the use of any tools.
btw... Nice work Neo!

User avatar
BOAT
Admiral
Posts: 4243
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Oceanside, CA MACMJ213 2013 ETEC60

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by BOAT » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:07 pm

K9Kampers wrote:
BOAT wrote:What was the reason for this again?
Right there in the first sentence...
Neo wrote:Ok by request I'll run through how I eliminated the Mac dance and made my Spreader bars and bracket detachable but more than that how I setup my Spreader bars without the use of any tools.
btw... Nice work Neo!
Okay, I guess I will need to look up "MAC DANCE" - not sure what that is (I thought the "MAC DANCE" was what a MAC does at anchor in high wind). I could not figure out how this would help with the boat swinging wildly on the anchor.

User avatar
Neo
Captain
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by Neo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Boat "MAC DANCE" has be mentioned many times in this forum (just like "MAC Bump") ... It's when you're hold the mast and trying to push/roll it back but the spreaders hit the stanchion so you have to step left and right to get one spreader at a time around each stanchion .... Hope that makes sense? :)


Thanks K9Kampers 8)

User avatar
BOAT
Admiral
Posts: 4243
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Oceanside, CA MACMJ213 2013 ETEC60

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by BOAT » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Oh, I got it now - well, that's one way to do it I guess - what I did was I just made the STANCHIONS removable. I guess there are two ways to do it. Maybe some one can come up with a third way.

User avatar
Neo
Captain
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by Neo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Actually the main reason I wanted the Spreader detachable was for trailering. I wanted my shrouds wrapped up neat and tidy and make it easy to walk the length on the deck without tripping over either.
To me when the mast is it crutch and spreaders are still on the whole rig looks an electricity pylon that's fallen over :D

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5208
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Neo wrote:Firstly you are going to need one of these Pin clips. I can't remember the name (someone help me here!!) so I'll just call it a Buckle Pin for now. It has a diameter of 9.3mm and is 75mm long ... You may notice that my one is not Stainless and I'm still trying to find one this size in Stainless ... Mine is not showing signs of corrosion but it's best replaced annually or bi-annually at least.
I only found 1/4" dia in stainless, but my 1/4" pins in carbon steel are still working fine after 5 seasons (I think). When they get too rusty, I'll toss 'em and buy new ones at a couple of bucks a piece.

$25 for one piece in stainless. As Al Borland used to say, I don't think so, Tim. :D

http://www.discountmarinestore.com/Stai ... -p544.html

drams_1999
Chief Steward
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:04 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: S/V Aquarius Miami, FL

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by drams_1999 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:51 pm

I love this! Is there any reason why the spreader bracket can't be left in place? Just remove the spreader bars like you say but leave the bracket on the mast like from factory? Just wondering. I love to do the least amount of work possible.

User avatar
BOAT
Admiral
Posts: 4243
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Oceanside, CA MACMJ213 2013 ETEC60

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by BOAT » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:10 pm

drams_1999 wrote:I love this! Is there any reason why the spreader bracket can't be left in place? Just remove the spreader bars like you say but leave the bracket on the mast like from factory? Just wondering. I love to do the least amount of work possible.
Outer shrouds need to be around 300. If you don't get that bend into the mast your gonna round up a lot. The inner ones are a little less near 270 - I just run tight at the factory spec per the loos gauge and that keeps the mast bent nice and really eliminates all the shock loads even in high wind.

Once i got a good tune on the rig I hate to screw it up so I don't mess with the spreaders - I wanted to mess with them - I even asked Tom to calculate the new loads if i shortened the spreaders to fit inside the stanchions and per his calculations it can be done quite nicely on the X boat because the X has a backstay that you can use to compensate for the loss of leverage on a shortened spreader. Sadly, that won't work on the M boat :( (no backstay) - the only way to tune the M boat is with the outer side stays (shrouds) so dinking the spreaders is a non starter.

If you have an X boat I would just shorten the spreaders - if you have an X boat and you run a tight rig it might be easier to put slides inside the forward stanchions like I did other wise if you keep the factory specs you will need to dink the spreaders in two places like Neo did.

Trailering is the main blessing AND the main curse of the MAC

User avatar
Neo
Captain
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by Neo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:$25 for one piece in stainless. As Al Borland used to say, I don't think so, Tim. :D
http://www.discountmarinestore.com/Stai ... -p544.html
Thanks anyway Tom :)
drams_1999 wrote:I love this! Is there any reason why the spreader bracket can't be left in place? Just remove the spreader bars
Thank you 8)
You could do that but firstly without either bar attached the spreader bracket will swing and hit (and keep tapping during transportation) the mast bracket. Secondly those Square Linch Pins come out faster than the pin-and-ringding
Thirdly if there's any tension on the shrouds (for whatever reason) it very difficult to pull the tubes out until the tension is released. The Linch Pins will still come out even under reasonable tension, which then releases tension on the tubes.
Last edited by Neo on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wind Chime
Captain
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:30 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)
Contact:

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by Wind Chime » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:09 am

I put pelican release clips on the aft-end of the deck lifelines (stantions at the front of cockpit on our X, but I know the lifelines are different in and M) I just Drop the lifelines to the deck and no Mac Dance, spreaders stay connected and just have to lift that mast over the rear stantions when moving the mast aft to step it.

User avatar
Neo
Captain
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Post by Neo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:15 am

Yes I have Pelian's in both fore and aft directions but I still hated any kind of Mac dance. And I often raise and lower my Mast while tied to a swing mooring so it's best to minimise any sudden side-to-side movement anyway. :)

Post Reply