Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: Detachable Spreaders - No tools required

Postby Divecoz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:27 pm

OK, you confused me referencing tubing as bar..

BOAT wrote: You get the parts to do it from West Marine - all you need is a the round SS bar from WM - they sell them and it fits right inside the stock stanchion -.
Divecoz
Admiral

Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Neo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:30 am

Ok, for anyone in Australia here's the one and only place I found supply of the Stainless Steel Square Wire Lock Lynch Pin from .... I had to wait a few weeks for delivery....

Miniature Bearings Australia **NO COUNTER SALES**
3/8 Boyland Avenue
Coopers Plains, Queensland
Australia 4108
www.minibearings.com.au
sales@minibearings.com.au
Ph: 07 3275 2097

Part description:
Pins - Wire Lock Lynch - Double Wire - Square - 304 Stainless Steel
9.53 mm Pin Diameter (A) Pin Diameter (A): 9.53. Grip Length (C): 63.50. Wire
https://www.minibearings.com.au/store/i ... 2095064s4/
Neo
Captain

Postby Tomfoolery » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:40 am

I just popped my spreaders off last Sunday. The nickle plated pins I use show a little rust where they wear against the sockets, but are fine otherwise after probably four or five years holding my spreaders in place. I'll keep using them.

BUT, I'm in fresh water, which makes a difference. If I could find the right diameter pins in SS I'd move to them just on principle, and I swear I found them once in the right size but I can't find them here any more. :|
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby NiceAft » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:53 am

The one item of safety concerning the spreaders I have not seen in any post, is carrying a spare set of spreaders on board for that “Oh Damn” moment, Murphy’s Rule.

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby BOAT » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 am

I do have a spare spreader in the boat and a spare tip in the tool box. I'm amazed at how much abuse they can take without bending.
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Neo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:BUT, I'm in fresh water, which makes a difference.
Yep BIG difference for sure :? ... Although the Lynch Pin's not being submersed in water so my one's not so bad either. Just doesn't look pretty (black rings and all). So like you Tom I'm changing mine really on principle :)

BOAT wrote:I'm amazed at how much abuse they can take without bending.

They get a lot less abuse if you take them off .... Mine are hardly scratched and no dents :)
Neo
Captain

Postby 1st Sail » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:09 pm

I replaced the spreader bar bolts after 1yr of trailering and Mac dancing. Nickle plated square or round bail hitch pins from the farm supply store. Done. What's the difference? Pull the spreader bars, tuck them under the spreader pivot hound grab the topping lift, main halyard, spinnaker halyard, jib halyard and wrap together with shock cord bungee, Done! Now I'm lazy and refuse to replace the rusted hitch pins every few years for $2 so I ordered the stainless hitch pins from BWY. One less trip to the store. Spreaders and lines are secure for travel in minutes.
1st Sail
Captain

Postby C Buchs » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:09 pm

1st Sail wrote:I replaced the spreader bar bolts after 1yr of trailering and Mac dancing. Nickle plated square or round bail hitch pins from the farm supply store. Done. What's the difference? Pull the spreader bars, tuck them under the spreader pivot hound grab the topping lift, main halyard, spinnaker halyard, jib halyard and wrap together with shock cord bungee, Done! Now I'm lazy and refuse to replace the rusted hitch pins every few years for $2 so I ordered the stainless hitch pins from BWY. One less trip to the store. Spreaders and lines are secure for travel in minutes.

The first set of pins I purchased were zinc plated and had a chain on them that I connected to the mast. Now I don't have to worry about dropping them. I just pull them out and let them hang. I replaced the zinc plated pins with the BWY stainless ones, but kept the chain. Works great.

Jeff
C Buchs
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Previous

Return to Repairs and Modifications