New Glass 2 alternative

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

New Glass 2 alternative

Post by 1st Sail »

I successfully been using NG2 or several years. In the midwest I get 6-8 months of shine before I fresh it up with a couple of coats. Just for fun I applied NG2 below the boot strip approx 24in to see if it would retard anything attaching to the hull. No luck.??

Check this out. I may have to give it a try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xezEofUHitA

Anyone tried this stuff? Anything is better than waxing!
mallardjusted
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Puget Sound, 2001 Sold Oct2021 "Aqua Dawg", 70hp Yam

Re: New Glass 2 alternative

Post by mallardjusted »

I don't know exactly about NGII, but I used Polyglass several years back and HATED it! I've had a horrendous time getting it off. This stuff looks good, but with a price of $80 for 12 oz, I think I'll wait for some reviews. I'd like to see how it does over time. Right now I'll stick with my Rejex.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

I am glad to hear of anther non-waxing alternative to NG2. I have used NG2 three times on my 20 year old 26X which sits in a marina in Central Florida year round. My last NG2 treatment lasted about six months. I am ready to paint my black stripe on the cabin and try something else for sides and topside. :?
Jeff L
Engineer

Post by Jeff L »

A question 1st sail. As I am interested, where does
one get this product, and what is it retail cost??? :macm:
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Here is the Url
http://newglass2.com/

NG2 is an acrylic polymer, water based sealer. The difference between NG2 and Polyglow is viscosity. NG2 requires 4-6 wipe on applications because of its low viscosity. I wipe multiple horizontally, vertically, then x pattern, finishing with either vertical then horizontal applications.
That minimizes streaking which is minimal anyway. I posted several extended reports on NG2. After initial build up at the 6mo mark I just clean and with a ultra fine compound just to smooth and remove bug and dirt. Then 1-3 coats and I'm back to a high gloss. It has always lasted longer than any of the Marine waxes I have used (3M, Starbrite, McGuiars). I have not used Collinite waxes so I have no comparison. Wipe on no buffing or polishing. You can freshen up and wipe on 1-2 coats at anytime to restore the highgloss shine.

The differences as explained to me by the NG2 staff is waxes fill and coat porus gelcoat. Whereas NG2 is applied as a liquid which penetrates the gelcoat pores formed due to oxidation. Like all acrylic polymers NG2 chemically cross links as it dries out just like a clear water based floor polish.

FYI there are a few post scattered on the net that clear water borne floor sealer will do the same thing. You can also use a foam roller on the antiskid to seal it as well. MacGregor gelcoat is thin and cheap. IIRC it is a polyester gelcoat not epoxy which is why it is easily damaged by UV. One oxidized all you are really doing is polishing microscopic holes in the gelcoat. NG2 fills the surface and bonds as you build it up. I'll see if I can find the post with all the equipment and details.
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Here is the original post.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24615&start=15
mallardjusted
First Officer
Location: Puget Sound, 2001 Sold Oct2021 "Aqua Dawg", 70hp Yam

Post by mallardjusted »

In a post above I stated I used Polyglass. I found my container in the garage, and it was actually Newglass II. I'll either throw it away, or if someone wants to pay shipping it's free! It's about half full.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

1st Sail wrote:I successfully been using NG2 or several years. In the midwest I get 6-8 months of shine before I fresh it up with a couple of coats. Just for fun I applied NG2 below the boot strip approx 24in to see if it would retard anything attaching to the hull. No luck.??

Check this out. I may have to give it a try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xezEofUHitA

Anyone tried this stuff? Anything is better than waxing!

As Iindicated in my previous post, I am looking for something longer lasting than NG2, which I have used 3 times. Is it your experience that the Island Girl products might be a better choice? If so, could you walk me through which of these products they offer with which you have had the best experience.
http://www.islandgirlproducts.com/produ ... index.html
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Unfortunately I have no experience with Island Girl. I would have like to see video of the actual cleaning of the hull. I'm would like to avoid bottom painting at all costs and have been looking for alternatives. River sailing sucks with all the current so I need all the hull speed I can get.

What keeps me using NG is not having to repeatedly remove oxidized gelcoat to restore the shine. I just clean with a light polishing compound to remove dirt and anything stuck to the surface and wipe 2-3 coats of NG.

I had a long discussion with NG prior to purchase. He was honest and forthright about expectations and preparation. Everything went a stated. You do have to take off the oxidation and any wax or oil residues prior to application. Since NG is waterborne organic or synthetic oils would reject adhesion.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

1st Sail wrote:Unfortunately I have no experience with Island Girl. I would have like to see video of the actual cleaning of the hull. I'm would like to avoid bottom painting at all costs and have been looking for alternatives. River sailing sucks with all the current so I need all the hull speed I can get.

What keeps me using NG is not having to repeatedly remove oxidized gelcoat to restore the shine. I just clean with a light polishing compound to remove dirt and anything stuck to the surface and wipe 2-3 coats of NG.

I had a long discussion with NG prior to purchase. He was honest and forthright about expectations and preparation. Everything went a stated. You do have to take off the oxidation and any wax or oil residues prior to application. Since NG is waterborne organic or synthetic oils would reject adhesion.
Roger that. I had a good talk with the NG2 guy, too. And I have enjoyed the product. It does put a nice shine on and deals with the oxidized gelcoat very nicely. I just need something a little more durable for UV protection in Central Florida. My boat is out there 24/7, 365 days a year in a freshwater slip. My NG2 is lasting only about 6 months, and I do follow the dirctins with the pre-cleaner and the multiple coats. Done it 3 times. Still waiting fo r the T-shirt, however! :P I'd like to get this down to a once a year evolution. Just turned 74. Running out of grandkids to help, too. 8)
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Herschel,
Did you use the NG cleaner between applications? After the initial application I used the cleaner prior to the second application which essentially was like starting over. Now I wash then 3M 000 fine buffing compound. This is an ultrafine finishing compound which is used primarily as a high gloss final polish. However, it works great on existing NG in that it works like a cleaner and very light polish as well. Not that restoring the shine is necessary as that is accomplished by the application of NG. The benefit is it will smooth the finish, work like a very mild abrasive cleaner but won't cut thru the existing NG coat without bearing down on one area. The end result is you retain previous layers but with a clean smooth surface to wipe on 2-3 coats and saves a lot of time.

Hijack my thread: I ran across Dolphinite several years ago. I was too chicken to try it. At least with NG if you screw it up and streak it you can buff it out or strip it. DIY color or clear gelcoat. Comes in an aerosol pressurized paint can (sans automotive touchup can). They have an extensive mfg color database and will custom match any boat color. The kicker is all the ingredients catalyst and base is inside the can. Located on the the bottom of the can is a pin you press to rupture the catalyzer. Then shake like a normal paint can and spray on. You could either color coat or just clear coat. I have a full HVLP commerical system that I did all my finish trim and cabinets with for our last two houses (refuse to brush or roll if I can avoid it) but just didn't want to deal with the Haz-Mat. It is bad enough during application but then you have to clean up.

I emailed Dolphinite to see if this is vinylester or epoxy gelcoat.

Home page- https://dolphinite.com/ $39.95

How it works- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djJJZsN4jJY

gelcoat restorer- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uptZYKlw_Ec

Not sure what the pot life is when there is snow on the ground- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDGFMy5MVms
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Herschel,
Did you use the NG cleaner between applications? After the initial application I used the cleaner prior to the second application which essentially was like starting over. Now I wash then 3M 000 fine buffing compound. This is an ultrafine finishing compound which is used primarily as a high gloss final polish. However, it works great on existing NG in that it works like a cleaner and very light polish as well. Not that restoring the shine is necessary as that is accomplished by the application of NG. The benefit is it will smooth the finish, work like a very mild abrasive cleaner but won't cut thru the existing NG coat without bearing down on one area. The end result is you retain previous layers but with a clean smooth surface to wipe on 2-3 coats and saves a lot of time.
Thanks for the response. Actually, I was gone for most of the summer and the boat sat at the slip, and by the time I returned, the NG2 had deteriorated too much to polish and redo with the 2-3 coats like the manufacturer recommends. That has been my main challenge--to catch it at that 2-3 wipe down stage to refresh the shine at a time when I can actually take the time to do it. So, it ends up being a complete redo with the cleaner and 5-6 coats. I will take a look at the other products you mentioned.
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Herschel,
Your input regarding duration is a valid point. I have the same experience with regard to time line. If you polish/clean when NG starts to dull (approx. 4-6 months) depending on latitude and overall sun exposure my experience is less effort is required vs traditional marine wax. Once the surface is full oxidized then it's game over and you have to totally restart.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

1st Sail wrote:Herschel,
Your input regarding duration is a valid point. I have the same experience with regard to time line. If you polish/clean when NG starts to dull (approx. 4-6 months) depending on latitude and overall sun exposure my experience is less effort is required vs traditional marine wax. Once the surface is full oxidized then it's game over and you have to totally restart.
I appreciate your comment. Like many aspects of life, the challenge is in accepting the limits. I would like NG2 to last a year, and I suppose I have been guilty of trying to wish it so, and then got caught short everytime. If I were to make peace with the every 4-6 months (more like 4 for me) and just put "refresh NG2" on to do list, life would be much simpler. I think I will try that the next annual go round (while I look into some other products) and see how that goes...and see if I can make peace with that. I still might paint my black stripe. We'll see. :?
Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

1st Sail wrote: I'm would like to avoid bottom painting at all costs and have been looking for alternatives.
$10,000.00 Electric Boat Lift .......solution's are few and very far between.. Hull Maintenance? Every Con Man Under The Sun has THE ... Miracle you've been waiting for.. Sorry but that is just the truth.. I too live in Florida , SWF actually and there is well in excess of 500 MILES of salt water canals ( Both sides meaning every bit of a 1000 miles of 100' wide water front lots.. ) connecting to the Gulf and to Tampa Bay and to Charlotte Harbor and a Zillion lakes..that equals Thousands and thousands and thousands of boats sitting in the Sun 365..There is NO Magic Solution..