Keel Damage, how to repair?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Stevenhigbee
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Keel Damage, how to repair?

Post by Stevenhigbee » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:04 am

The cable sawed its way through the edge of the keel. Image

What's the best way to repair it?

I'm thinking of having a brake shop make me a short piece of 3/8" stainless tubing flared at both ends for the cable to pass through, then using epoxy putty to secure it into place. (I might need to grind the ferrule on the cable down a bit to make it pass through the tubing).

I removed the keel by putting the boat in the water, then pulling it back out after scooting it back on the trailer a few inches. I was able to unbolt it while on the trailer out of the water, pass a line through the hinge assembly, then float the boat back into the water and pull out the keel. I tried diving on it, but could not loosen the bolts while under water. They were hard enough to loosen out of the water.

I'm not sure of the best procedure to reattach it.

I'm at Lake Havasu where the water temperature is still tolerable with a wet suit.

March
Captain

Re: Keel Damage, how to repair?

Post by March » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:53 pm

I remember having seen a mod, years back, that caught my eye: a tube trough that hole, but with ball bearings (I think).

Patching up the fiberglass keel shouldn't be a problem, once you have that sleeve in place. You might want to use several layers of fiberglass texture soaked in epoxy. Let it dry, sand it, repeat. It should be solid enough to keep the tube in place.

You can eventually add to the surface gloss by using MarineTex