Dinghy Talk

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Paul S, beene, Catigale

Seapup
Captain

Dinghy Talk

Post by Seapup » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:27 am

Hey Guys, Its getting to that time of year where I start daydreaming of spring and sunny sailing. Since the reality is far from that for the next three months I generally start spending money on mods and toys 8) Funny how when I am out enjoying the boat in the summer I generally don't daydream about the next toy or spend a dime :!:

I have cycled through carrying SOT kayaks, briefly carried a standard inflatable dinghy and oars, a windsurfer a few summers, then primarily inflatable paddleboards the last few years which I really like for multiple reasons. Last summer I hauled along a plastic rotomolded Escape solsa sailing/rowing dinghy which is about 85lbs. It has been fun sailing around in the evenings. I was looking for a walker bay to sail/motor when I found and bought the escape on a whim. Now I started to get an itch for a dinghy that can plane with an outboard for exploring further away from anchorages.

My desire is a boat under $500 that planes with 6hp 2 stroke and small as possible. The previous inflatable dinghy I had was too big. The escape dinghy I have now is 4'x8' & as large as I want to deal with. I didn't want anything wide so was looking at portaboats and kabot type boats.

Some small & relatively inexpensive boats I liked

Goplus 90"x48" and 51lbs $250 (no solid floor)

Bestway Caspian Air floor, $400 91"longx 51" wide and 50lbs

Haven't found a whole lot of info on ctamaran type being used in the US. They seem to be a little more popular in New Zealand/Australia.

NC290, $500, Airfloor, 47"x114" and 60lbs.

Anyways, any thoughts on dinghys you think are cool or have found you liked and didn't like? Experience getting a dinghy to plane with a small outboard?Tips and tricks? Other off season projects for those where the water is cold?

Bobglas
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Dinghy Talk

Post by Bobglas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Bought a used 8' Walker Bay. Way too tipsy getting in but it rowed nicely! I bought & installed the inflatable things on the sides. All good now! I have a 2hp Honda so planing isn't an aspiration.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:52 pm

I have no idea if Achilles even makes the 9 foot dinghy I purchased new, thirteen years ago. Inflatable floor, and is rated for an 8hp. I have a Merc 6hp four stroke, and it will plane with a single occupant. With two onboard, it will also plane, but with difficulty, but it will eventually get there. It also came with oars. The foot pump it came with works very well.

If it is still made, then it is highly recommended. It does weigh 75lbs (34 kilograms).

Ray

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:37 am

Towing anything behind a mac sucks. I use a paddle board that hangs from the side of the boat. Its generally practical for a single person. I also have a skin on frame foldable pram with a mini outboard motor that stores below. No easy solutions on small cruising yachts.

Ix