Time to replace standing rigging?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: beene, Hamin' X, tangentair, kmclemore, Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod

MikeFloutier
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Time to replace standing rigging?

Post by MikeFloutier » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:38 am

Hi,

I just had my 26m 2009 surveyed as I'm seller her and one of his recommendations was that the standing rigging should be replaced as it's the original.

It all looks fine to. What do you think? Is it a sensible precaution?

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Time to replace standing rigging?

Post by NiceAft » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:08 am

What was it the surveyor did not like? How important is it?

Ray

MikeFloutier
Chief Steward

Post by MikeFloutier » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks Ray, I think it was just belt and braces, ie. "it's 10 years old so you better replace it".

I do have some sympathy with that view but it does look perfect to me; ie. no visible corrosion or loose strands of wire.

By the way, has anyone replaced their standing rigging? I can see it at BW Yachts but not sure if it comes with the thimbles swaged on already (also a little unsure if my terminology is correct :))

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 am

I have a 2005 :macm: , and have not replaced the rigging yet. A few years ago I did purchase a set from BWY to have ready when I do decide it is time. I have not looked into the box for awhile. Doesn’t the BWY website answer the question :?:

Ray

MikeFloutier
Chief Steward

Post by MikeFloutier » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:03 am

Many thanks Ray

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:42 am

check carefulli the point where it goes through the spreaders. Damages maybe can't be seen.

I replaced some, but not all. But there were strands, my :macm: is 2011.

I crimped myself. But I'm overseas, so getting it direct from BWY could be the same price. But having the crimping tools makes you more flexible.

I had a ruptered lifeline, where it goes through the stanchions. So check well all time. Next I will put 6 crimps where it goes through the stanchions, so it should stay safe.

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:02 am

As I think about it, maybe ordering a set of rigging from BWY, but don’t install. Having a spare set to go along with the boat may just enhance a sale.

Ray

Berber Boy
First Officer
Location: Paynesville, VIC 3880 AUSTRALIA WindSong 2016 26M 75hp Etec

Post by Berber Boy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:50 am

On my 2009 :macm: I have just replaced my stand up rigging with some modifications to the chain plate adjusters. My reason being that in the sailing community where I live Marine Insurers have been refusing to reimburse for broken masts and rigging if they are older than ten years and have not had shrouds and forestays replaced and the mast serviced.
Although my rigging was in overall good condition visibly there was evidence of abrasion in the spreader contact areas and at the top of the forestay connection.
Am not sure if you need to do it for selling purposes but ongoing insurance requirements should be checked out. Here in Australia there may be different requirements than elsewhere.
I also upgraded the wire to the next size up.

Dave

Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:29 am

Someone here recommended a company a couple years ago called "cable rigging." But I can't find it now.

If you know the company (in florida, I think), please repost the info. I need a new backstay :)

--john

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:42 am

Make your own. WM will even let you use their crimp tools in the store. For free.

danphilgreen
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by danphilgreen » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:44 am

I'm late to the party on this post, but for the benefit of any lurkers who might be seeking info re: standing rigging in the future, I replaced mine myself this last year (which I assume was original) on my 1990 26S. There was some rust and fraying visible. Total cost of materials was about $200 plus $40 for the swage tool. This included all shrouds and stays the same guage as the stock shrouds. Also included replacement of the old plastic coated lifelines with this same cable. Diameter of the new bare lifelines is about the same as the lighter older stuff plus the plastic on it. There is some photo documentation of all of this in my Facebook photo album dedicated mostly to mods on my boat:

https://www.facebook.com/dan.philgreen/ ... 899&type=3