Gap in main hatch

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
macowneril2015
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Gap in main hatch

Post by macowneril2015 »

the main entrance way appears to be off and allows a quarter inch gap in opening when is an issue with weather and the elements, I am not sure if anyone experienced this or could offer suggestions.I tried to shift / make it level but I am not sure what else to do also the edge material there and on the sliding portion is wearing any way to prevent or fix that?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Gap in main hatch

Post by Tomfoolery »

There is a vertical clearance between the top of the hatchboard and the sliding hatch lip, but without the hasp attached, the slider pulls back a fair bit to overlap the hatchboard. My hasp is bent into a dog leg to allow the slider to go all the way back and still allow the padlock through. I think that's what you're talking about, at least.

There may be a little water getting in during a heavy blow, but it doesn't bother me.

The PO had a piece of Sunbrella made which, as far as I can tell, was intended to cover that gap. It has a length of line through the top seam which wraps the drums and engages the cam cleats, and hangs down over the hatchboard to the bottom. That's where it was when I first saw the boat, so I have to assume that's what it was for. You could always make something like that, but I never use it. I keep it mostly in case I need a piece of repair fabric. :|

The helm cover is also the same red Sunbrella, and kind of confuses the image, but it's separate.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

The posted photo shows an opening gap at an angle. Not sure why that would be. When the sliding hatch is fully pulled back, it should overlap the removable companionway hatch, thus keeping rain out under most conditions. The biggest problem we have had with the gap between the two hatch panels involves mosquitoes. That gap is an open invitation for invasion, whenever we're in buggy areas. To counter the problem, Sandy sewed up a sunbrella panel, which attaches to the inside of the sliding hatch with velcro strips. This fabric panel covers the gap, and is a good defense against mosquitoes.
macowneril2015
Engineer
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Post by macowneril2015 »

Chinook wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:48 pm The posted photo shows an opening gap at an angle. Not sure why that would be. When the sliding hatch is fully pulled back, it should overlap the removable companionway hatch, thus keeping rain out under most conditions. The biggest problem we have had with the gap between the two hatch panels involves mosquitoes. That gap is an open invitation for invasion, whenever we're in buggy areas. To counter the problem, Sandy sewed up a sunbrella panel, which attaches to the inside of the sliding hatch with velcro strips. This fabric panel covers the gap, and is a good defense against mosquitoes.
I may have to do it for that reason I found out last year Chicago harbors have a horrible spider problem and they get everywhere and stain your gel coat with their droppings and is brutal to get off.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

I well remember the spiders of Illinois, while cruising through that region while doing the Great Loop. Starting in Chicago and during our passage down the Illinois River, we started finding turquoise blue spots all over the boat. We were told that they were spider poop, and very hard to scrub off. We had spiders all over the boat, and webbing would be streaming from the shrouds. Spiders were standing in line when we pulled up to the dock, just waiting for us to tie up. Then they made a mad rush up our dock lines, so they could crawl over the boat and poop everywhere. Illinois spiders, yuck. They definitely rival Florida's mosquitoes.
THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS »

I fold up afew paper rags into about a 6" square, pull the hatch rearward past the companionway hatch, place a square in each corner, then slide hatch back to where it belongs to lock up boat. If it rains, they get wet, but stay in place and make a nice seal. Keeps the bees and other bugs from getting in.
Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis »

THE CUSCUS wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 am I fold up afew paper rags into about a 6" square, pull the hatch rearward past the companionway hatch, place a square in each corner, then slide hatch back to where it belongs to lock up boat. If it rains, they get wet, but stay in place and make a nice seal. Keeps the bees and other bugs from getting in.
I do the same with a section of pipe insulator, which is made of sort of dense foam. No mess in the rain and reusable!