Early 26M, BWY mast holder upgrade to arch type

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
PMake
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Early 26M, BWY mast holder upgrade to arch type

Post by PMake »

Hello,
I bought an used Macgregor 26M last year and now is time to update it to be more suitable for my use...

As a part of these updates, I am going to replace forks style mast holder with more permanent arch in aft boat and so I bought from BWY brackets and arch. I used search but only found conceptual discussions especially for :macx: but did not find anyone explaining what they did. Have anyone actually done this update for early :macm: ?

I have been myself been trying to look how to get this done. I removed panel and got access to back, but brackets need to be installed to top of bulkhead, just below Captain’s seat... After crawling to aft berth over all stuff I have stored there, I came to conclusion that I need to have inside a friend with 4 ft arms that are 2” thick and head hopefully size of tennis ball while I drill and set the things outside :)

As nobody I know fits the description, I decided to ask advice here. How have you managed to do this?

Thank you & Best regards,

Petri
Jimmyt
Admiral

Re: Early 26M, BWY mast holder upgrade to arch type

Post by Jimmyt »

I can only offer pictures of late model M installation- if that will help. Sorry.
PMake

Post by PMake »

Thanks,
I found few photos and I think I was looking to install supports too high but it is still tricky location. So maybe not 4 feet arms, but head size still applies.

If someone has done this, I’d like to know how they solved spacers (as mentioned in BWY site) and what they used as backing inside boat. And anything else I should notice before I start making holes.

Thanks!

Petri
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Here,s my radar arch mod I,m just finishing off a new redesigned mast crutch that I will post later now that the site is back up & running
J

I used starboard as backing plates
Cee Kat Crew

Post by Cee Kat Crew »

20191124_153025_HDR~2.jpg
Here is a picture of ours done buy the previous owner.
Mast is out off the way if you want to use the boat without raising the mast.
Has a solar panel.
Has tall VHF radio antennas mounted.
Has brackets to store fenders.
Mounts on the original mast support fittings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Is there floatation up there? It probably needs some creative tools. Maybe something to hold the locknut while you push the bolt through and turn it to get started. Then a long handle socket wrench?

Some pics for mounting location.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

I installed these 8" access deck plates on both sides of the motor well

J