Newbie needs help first time owner

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Biddyyhz
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Newbie needs help first time owner

Post by Biddyyhz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:35 am

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can help? I wanted to take sailing lessons before I bought a sailboat; but the opportunity came up to buy a 2007 26M with a 50 HP Suzuki outboard immediately at such a good price I couldn’t turn it down. I had it checked over and it was too good to be true. The only problem I have so far is that the sails and running rigging were not in place when I bought the boat from an elderly gentleman. He was a great person and really wanted me to have his boat and enjoy it as much he did; but his memory wasn’t that good and couldn’t recall how the rigging was done.

I am wondering if anyone can take me through the running rigging on this boat with maybe a diagram or two?
How does rhe forestry and backstay run and attach? How to rig the main sail?

I think I will leave the jib down for this season and just use the motor and main sail just to get used to the boat.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated from this newbie wanting to enter into your world of sailing.

Thank you in advance!!!

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Newbie needs help first time owner

Post by dlandersson » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:48 am

Please consider adding your boat, engine, and location to your profile. It will make it much easier for fellow M owners to help you. :wink:

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:31 am

Consider sailing with just the jib at first, especially if it's on a roller furler. Much easier to manage than the main sail.

Rigging setup should be in the manual, which admittedly is sketchy and thin, but it should all be in there.

If you don't have one, you can download it from this site. In the blue bar at the top, just under the Mac and Tat banner, is Resources - Manuals, with a single link for the :macm: boats.

Oh, and I don't believe the :macm: even has a backstay. The :macx: does, but not the :macm: . What you think is the backstay may actually be a topping lift. Maybe.

Biddyyhz
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Biddyyhz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:00 am

Thank you for the reply.
Yes the manual is sketchy at best for a new guy. I will take your advice and only use the jib.
Does the jib work as the forestay; or is there another line attached somewhere at the bow and attach somewhere else on the mast?
A diagram looking at the whole system picture would help me out to get the bigger picture.

Thanks Again!!!

rsvpasap
Deckhand

Post by rsvpasap » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:23 am

Suggest you spend some time on YouTube, for example https://youtu.be/yIUrrjeZsnc