Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Blue Water Yachts Marine Marketing

26M replacement daggerboard

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: 26M replacement daggerboard

Postby BOAT » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Currie wrote:Hehe,

I fixed my daggerboard before last season, just repairing the six nasty chips (only one from me :)) in the trailing edge with Marine-Tex. It's great stuff, but I'm almost afraid to pull it and see how it held up (I haven't yet). I reeeeally need to do Doug's (parrothead's) PVC mod at some point. We'll see soon if it's going to be this year. :?

~Bob

Ahoy Captain Curry!

Have not heard from you for a long time !

Can you explain the "parrot head pvc" mod?

Also, if anyone can also explain to me how they add the 55 lbs of lead to the daggerboard that would be very helpful too! Please let us know how that is done.

Thanks
BOAT
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby C Buchs » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 pm

http://bwyachts.com/ and https://ruddercraft.com/index.php?route=common/home are two sources here in North America that you can start looking at. Others will hopefully post you a source on the other side of the pond.

Jeff
C Buchs
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Y.B.Normal » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:45 am

Has anyone used the RudderCraft high performance dagger board? Is it worth the extra $130 over the stock board?
Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Postby Highlander » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Patrice FERRAULT wrote:Hello,
I am a new 26M (2004) Mac Gregor Sailor, and I just lost my daggerboard in rough weather last week (How can this happen: no grounding, no warning, the board just disappeared !?!).
Before considering making a new one, like I understand many of you did, I would like to buy a manufactured one.
Anybody can help me to find a source, preferably in Europe, otherwise in the USA ?
Thank you for your help

I,ll lay u odd,s that ur D/B up-haul & safety lines failed when I pulled my D/B when I was getting her Bot painted for this spring so as I could also paint up inside the D/B trunk about 26" I discoved my up-haul line was badly frayed right at where it came out the top of the D/B & the safety line was also badly frayed at the midway point my boat is 2008 so I,m assuming I would have met the same fate if I had not installed new lines this yr , unfortunately when I pulled the D/B I also discovered it badly damaged approx 4" up from the bottom for appox 4-6" hole in the front of it appon trying to figure out how that happened , I remember once pulling the boat onto the trl & she came to an abrupt stop then remembered my D/B was still down 2' :evil: never thought no more of it but as my boat is very heavily loaded & with ballast still in it would not have taken much force to do that damage the D/B is very flimsy the damaged area was only about 1/16" thick :o
as I did not have the means or time this spring to repair it I had it repaired & also had the PVC mod done at the same time cost me about as much as a new D/B but now my old one is much stronger

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby Ponaldpe » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Highlander wrote:
Patrice FERRAULT wrote:Hello,
I am a new 26M (2004) Mac Gregor Sailor, and I just lost my daggerboard in rough weather last week (How can this happen: no grounding, no warning, the board just disappeared !?!).
Before considering making a new one, like I understand many of you did, I would like to buy a manufactured one.
Anybody can help me to find a source, preferably in Europe, otherwise in the USA ?
Thank you for your help

I,ll lay u odd,s that ur D/B up-haul & safety lines failed when I pulled my D/B when I was getting her Bot painted for this spring so as I could also paint up inside the D/B trunk about 26" I discoved my up-haul line was badly frayed right at where it came out the top of the D/B & the safety line was also badly frayed at the midway point my boat is 2008 so I,m assuming I would have met the same fate if I had not installed new lines this yr , unfortunately when I pulled the D/B I also discovered it badly damaged approx 4" up from the bottom for appox 4-6" hole in the front of it appon trying to figure out how that happened , I remember once pulling the boat onto the trl & she came to an abrupt stop then remembered my D/B was still down 2' :evil: never thought no more of it but as my boat is very heavily loaded & with ballast still in it would not have taken much force to do that damage the D/B is very flimsy the damaged area was only about 1/16" thick :o
as I did not have the means or time this spring to repair it I had it repaired & also had the PVC mod done at the same time cost me about as much as a new D/B but now my old one is much stronger

I did the load the boat on the trailer with the board down , I need to pull it out and have a look, all seemed good, but can not see much with the board in the trunk. Not that I am looking for more work.

J 8)
Ponaldpe
Engineer

Postby Highlander » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:02 pm

BOAT wrote:
Currie wrote:Hehe,

I fixed my daggerboard before last season, just repairing the six nasty chips (only one from me :)) in the trailing edge with Marine-Tex. It's great stuff, but I'm almost afraid to pull it and see how it held up (I haven't yet). I reeeeally need to do Doug's (parrothead's) PVC mod at some point. We'll see soon if it's going to be this year. :?

~Bob

Ahoy Captain Curry!

Have not heard from you for a long time !

Can you explain the "parrot head pvc" mod?

Also, if anyone can also explain to me how they add the 55 lbs of lead to the daggerboard that would be very helpful too! Please let us know how that is done.

J 8)

Hi Mark
here,s the link
http://macgregorsailors.com/modt/index.php?view=1095

Don,t do what I did , I thought instead of only doing the top 20-24" trailing edge I,ll do 48" down & make it a lot stronger wrong found out the D/B would only go 1FT down the D/B trunk and jam as I discovered the D/B trunk is tapered & gets narrower as it goe,s down , so had to take off the extra 24" on the lower trailing edge but what I did do to the top 24" is flare it out to a smooth flush surface so as I do not have the rounded bump on the top trailing edge

Thanks
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby BOAT » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:21 am

Okay, I need to really think this over well - it sounds like a lot of experimenting has been going on with the DB some very successful and some not so necessary.

I really am considering having several daggerboards and trying out different things to see what works best. It seems to me that the leading (forward) part of the DB is not really the problem, so I see no need to mod that, but the trailing edge (the aft part) of the DB takes damage from the rough opening edges on the bottom of the hull. I think a better fix for that would be to place a long flat strip of hard thin plastic along the trailing edge that overlaps the end by about 1/4 inch or less on both the port AND starboard side of the DB all the way from the top to the bottom so the board will not change it's shape as it slides up and down. The plastic strips can be just screwed in place:

Has there been any consensus on the value of adding lead to the DB? I would be curious about that one - it seems like a good idea, does it work?

I would be curious to experiment with lead in my daggerboard to see what happens. Hoe did you guys get the lead into the daggerboard?
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Highlander » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:38 pm

Plug the D/B fill it with sand at no cost & try it & see if it work,s for u , if not un-plug it & flush the sand out ? :wink:

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:03 pm

Highlander wrote:Plug the D/B fill it with sand at no cost & try it & see if it work,s for u , if not un-plug it & flush the sand out ? :wink:

J 8)

The density of sand isnt great, one would need a large volume, sand is only about 2.5 times the density of water at 2.500kg per cubic meter. Iron may be better at 7.870kg per square meter or just over 3 times that of sand but of course the winner of common metals is lead at 11.340kg per cubic meter or better than 5 times that of sand.

So if you wanted to put in say 50Kg of sand (100 odd pounds) that would need a good size bag, given the thickness of the keel you would probably struggle to get that much sand into the space.

A nice 250mm dia (10 inch) by 25mm (1inch) thick piece of steel in the bottom of the centerboard would be the most economical way to give it a go and even thats only 19kg or about 50lbs, but I would expect 50lbs 5 feet below the water would make a real difference
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:41 pm

I'm sort of leary of putting iron in salt water.

I was thinking of lead - lead does not corrode in salt water, but what kind of lead? Am I supposed to melt the lead and pour it into the DB?? :?
BOAT
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:54 pm

I know of people that go around tyre fitters and ask for the old wheel balancing weights, you may be lucky as some keep them to sell as scrap others are happy to be rid of them.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby C Buchs » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:01 pm

BOAT wrote:I'm sort of leary of putting iron in salt water.

I was thinking of lead - lead does not corrode in salt water, but what kind of lead? Am I supposed to melt the lead and pour it into the DB?? :?

Do you think you could get some #7-1/2 (2.3mm/0.09 inch diamter) lead shot into your dagger board? Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Magnum-Lea ... =lead+shot

If it works, you can pour it out, melt it and pour it back in.

Jeff
C Buchs
First Officer

Postby BOAT » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:12 pm

C Buchs wrote:

Do you think you could get some #7-1/2 (2.3mm/0.09 inch diamter) lead shot into your dagger board? Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Magnum-Lea ... =lead+shot

Jeff

HMMMM, that looks interesting Jeff - so a number 7 is a 1/2 inch round ball? Is that right? That might be a good idea because I can put a plug in the bottom with a 1/4 inch hole in it so the water drains out without letting the lead balls fall out of the dagger board. Hmmmm :wink: that might work - and 50 bucks for 25 pounds - that means I could add 50 pounds to the dagger board for 100 bucks! That's not bad!

50 pounds down in the end of the dagger board would be as much as 300 pounds up on the deck rail according to Tom's calculations - that's probably almost 5 degrees of heel! (Need Tomfoolery to check me out on this with his fancy calculator).
BOAT
Admiral

Postby C Buchs » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:26 pm

BOAT wrote:
C Buchs wrote:

Jeff

HMMMM, that looks interesting Jeff - so a number 7 is a 1/2 inch round ball? Is that right? That might be a good idea because I can put a plug in the bottom with a 1/4 inch hole in it so the water drains out without letting the lead balls fall out of the dagger board. Hmmmm :wink: that might work - and 50 bucks for 25 pounds - that means I could add 50 pounds to the dagger board for 100 bucks! That's not bad!

50 pounds down in the end of the dagger board would be as much as 300 pounds up on the deck rail according to Tom's calculations - that's probably almost 5 degrees of heel! (Need Tomfoolery to check me out on this with his fancy calculator).

I'm no expert on the sizes of lead shot, but I can use Google. Check out this size chart http://www.claygame.co.uk/shot-size-info-22

Jeff
C Buchs
First Officer

Postby Tomfoolery » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:10 pm

BOAT wrote:Need Tomfoolery to check me out on this with his fancy calculator.

I'm on it! :|

:wink:
Tomfoolery
Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Repairs and Modifications