Where is everyone?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by BOAT »

I am hesitant to contact matt because he is a busy guy with a family and young kids. I really don't know how he does it all - he runs his companies, raises all those kids (his kids are really good and smart too!), writes lots of books, takes care of his wonderful wife, sails boats A LOT and still finds time to drop whatever he's doing and sit for three hours over a beer when a person like me drops in. Even his dogs are friendly. I sort of miss matt - I have not spoken to him in a long long time - I just figured he would be with his Benny friends now. I wish he were still posting here.

Which brings up a point:

Since there are no more MacGregor boats being built anymore it seems to me the site needs more forums about "lifestyle" choices and issues - as the boat AND the sailors mature it seems appropriate to have more talk about the 'MacGregor trailerable sailboat' "lifestyle". Where does the boat fit in your life? Tips for managing maintenance with busy lives, kids, and work. Talking about hiring people to clean or polish the boat and so forth - as we get older we need advice on how to find services for our boats we can no longer do ourselves for various reasons. If we have good solutions to those issues we might extend the time of our boating ownership and outings well into very old age? Is it possible? I know that I will be tasked to see if it is possible and I will need lots of advice.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

BOAT wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:56 am Since there are no more MacGregor boats being built anymore it seems to me the site needs more forums about "lifestyle" choices and issues - as the boat AND the sailors mature it seems appropriate to have more talk about the 'MacGregor trailerable sailboat' "lifestyle". Where does the boat fit in your life? Tips for managing maintenance with busy lives, kids, and work. Talking about hiring people to clean or polish the boat and so forth - as we get older we need advice on how to find services for our boats we can no longer do ourselves for various reasons. If we have good solutions to those issues we might extend the time of our boating ownership and outings well into very old age? Is it possible? I know that I will be tasked to see if it is possible and I will need lots of advice.
Maybe a new forum under special interests area?
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

My suggestion would be to focus on the core stuff first and get that all repaired and running - mods, ads, headers, contact lists, etc., and then worry about adding nifty stuff. Not to say we shouldn't improve the forum, just that we should get the baseline stuff flawless first. Just MHO.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

kmclemore wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:24 pm My suggestion would be to focus on the core stuff first and get that all repaired and running - mods, ads, headers, contact lists, etc., and then worry about adding nifty stuff. Not to say we shouldn't improve the forum, just that we should get the baseline stuff flawless first. Just MHO.
I agree all the way with that - I suppose it begs the question: what is the main reason that people read the site? Why are they coming here? I am asking it as an honest question because I do not think my motivations is really the same as most folks. If it is just to get information on "How To" then videos would probably create the most draw.

I'm just not sure what the goal of the site is so that's why it's hard to make suggestions.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

BOAT posted “
I'm just not sure what the goal of the site is so that's why it's hard to make suggestions
.”

I’ve always thought the goal of this site is to create an expansive community of Mac owners. A place to gather, have questions answered, create camaraderie.

When my wife and I travel, this site has allowed us to meet interesting people around the world. Heck, Kevin and I live in the same community, and it took this site for us to meet :D

Ray
Buell_S1W
Chief Steward

Post by Buell_S1W »

Hi everyone. I haven't been able to login for nearly 2.5 years but I never really went away. I did keep looking at the site almost daily until it finally stopped working. I'm very glad to see it is functional again. Congratulations to everyone involved. I feel a bit like a newbie although most of it is familiar.
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Would it be inappropriate to 'pepper' the FaceBook site periodically and invite visitors to visit this excellent site? IIRC the FB sites were created by members of this forum. Both serve us well. FB is instant viewing with difficult threads.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

1st Sail wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:39 am Would it be inappropriate to 'pepper' the FaceBook site periodically and invite visitors to visit this excellent site? IIRC the FB sites were created by members of this forum. Both serve us well. FB is instant viewing with difficult threads.
Sure! Each has their advantages - FB for transient topics and the forum for those you want to last.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Not inappropriate at all.

You are not asking for people to abandon that site; you are informing that we have been rescued by the Montana Mensch, and he is resurrecting, improving the site.
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

Instead of answering people's questions on Facebook, I was sending them a link to the conversation here with all the answers. I can't believe the amount of misinformation that I see there!

Jeff
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Ray "niceaft" phoned me so i was notified & I,m back now & if the site looks still good after the new year I,ll re-invest with a donation :)

J
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Good to see you back, John. 8)

And I’ve already donated. :wink: :P
vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz »

I’m here, proudly representing sunny central Florida! 8)
Been a long time, and I’ve been hanging around over on FB, staying visible and waiting for the next good opportunity to point people over here where the real answers are! :P

Glad to have this site back up, and a big “thank you” to Heath for the many years, and to Matt and others for picking up the baton and running with it!
Bobsquatch
Deckhand

Post by Bobsquatch »

As a new member, I came to this site because our boats are so unique that most only owners will have valuable insight. That is what gets people in the door. Friendly knowledgeable people sharing their experiences will keep us around. PS I never have had or ever will have a fcbk account.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I'm with NiceAft. My Seaward 25 is a wonderful boat but I have just purchased a 26M and will be selling the Seaward. As NiceAft mentioned, there are many more things that the 26 can do that I would not attempt in the Seaward. The Seaward has done well on Lakes Michigan and Huron but the 26 does just as well and has more amenities. Great boat.