sails in the pool

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
delevi
Admiral

Re: sails in the pool

Post by delevi »

At second glance, it doesn't say anything about sail cleaning, though it does say it's a good replacement for acetone. The sales rep at Quantum mentioned acetone as an option. Trying to be really cautious here with chemicals I know nothing about, being applied on a mainsail priced like gold. :o :? :|
Night Sailor
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: '98, MACX1780I798, '97 Merc 50hp Classic, Denton Co. TX "Duet"

Post by Night Sailor »

Whoa! before using solvents on laminates and other newer type sails, try the time proven and very safe althernative.
I've cleaned many dacron and nylon sails this way: lay out on flat surface like a driveway. Mix a bucket of Woolite according to instructions or the equivalent in baby shampoo. Mop or brush on with a soft brush the whole sail. Brush areas that are particularly dirty. Rinse whole sail until clear of suds. Now mop whole sail again with clean solution and let stay in bright sun for three to four hours. Rinse both sides very throroughly with clear water and let dry while off the ground if possible, as in suspended from three points.The combination of detergent and sunshine works wonders and is very safe.
If it doesn't work for you on your sails, at leeast it has cost very little $ to find out, and you have not damaged anything.
delevi
Admiral

Post by delevi »

Nightsalor,
Do you let the sail stay soaked and soapy for a while before rinsing off or rinse off right after brushing?
Night Sailor
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: '98, MACX1780I798, '97 Merc 50hp Classic, Denton Co. TX "Duet"

Post by Night Sailor »

delevi wrote:Nightsalor,
Do you let the sail stay soaked and soapy for a while before rinsing off or rinse off right after brushing?
On the second soaping up, so the solution and the sails are as clean as you can get them, you let it sit in the sun for several hours with the soap on it. It dries of course, so it takes a thorough rinsing to remove all detergent, but the combination is apparently what works, not just sun alone.
delevi
Admiral

Post by delevi »

Cool. Thanks again.