genoa control

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

miss u
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

genoa control

Post by miss u » Mon May 11, 2009 6:32 am

i am about to fit a genoa to my :macx: .can anyone tell me how she will sail on genoa alone with no main,as i am a verry lazy cruser.i realise it will not point as high as my 110 jib but i will try using jib tracks when partially furled.

Retcoastie
Captain

Re: genoa control

Post by Retcoastie » Mon May 11, 2009 8:26 am

Nicely downwind :) She won't point very well but if you're in no hurry, or lazy like me, you'll do fine. I went to Perry Sound in Georgian Bay last year for 11 days with another couple on their :macx: . They did not raise their main the entire trip. On their behalf, they have a full cockpit enclosure so it is probably more difficult for them than me with only a bimini.

Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Post by Kelly Hanson East » Mon May 11, 2009 9:49 am

It really will barely point at all - Im guessing 50-60 degree range off dead ahead from what I recall on my :macx:

Downwind is a blast - my 11 year old love running with the wind under genny only without the main to obscure the view and make noise!

Night Sailor
Admiral
Location: '98, MACX1780I798, '97 Merc 50hp Classic, Denton Co. TX "Duet"

Post by Night Sailor » Mon May 11, 2009 12:01 pm

I frequently sail with genny only, especially with inexperienced guests as crew. Even in the very lightest air you can sail with good control and the wind has to pipe up fairly well to say time to furl and use the iron wind. Being on the furler, even first time sailors can unfurl without leaving the cockpit and contribute, which gives them a feeling of belonging. And there's no worry on my part about accidental gybes and heads colliding....
Other times, the admiral and I are just lazy and don't care about speed or direction, just listening and feeling and enjoying our X on the water.