Insuring mac in Canada with engines over recommended HP

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

jjan
Deckhand

Insuring mac in Canada with engines over recommended HP

Post by jjan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi Again,
Yet another question this time regarding insurance. As I read further into the forum I have now discovered the argument regarding the potential legal implications of using an engine larger than the current factory "Recommended" maximum HP. Can any Canadian members please tell me if getting insurance for a new Macgregor with a 75 or 90HP in Canada would be an issue.
Thanks
J

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: Insuring mac in Canada with engines over recommended HP

Post by Highlander » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:40 pm

I have a 75HP Merc F/S no issues with insurance only smaller run abouts that actualy have a HP rating plate on them have issues the mac does not have an hp rating regulation plate on it only the mac recomended HP of 60HP and that is they say in the video is because it can be hand started if the battery goes dead !! :D :D :D

J

jjan
Deckhand

Post by jjan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks Highlander,
Are you happy with the 75HP and what kind of performance are you getting, also do you consider 75HP ample for the boat?
J

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:22 pm

John needs aleast 75HP, to haul around his hardware store. :o

~Rich

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Now Now Rich

be nice what did I ever do to you !!! :) :P :wink: Ah hardware you only Wished you had :P but I always wait until the price is right 8) :wink:

J

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:39 pm

We all have "Hardware Envy", John. :x

~Rich

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:48 pm

JJan

I have not ran my 75HP at WOT yet as it takes me about one min to get out of my slip into the lake & then up go the sails & I can sail for days :) my 75HP Merc F/S has a bigger block than Beene's & more torq & is fuel inj. .if you look at the speed that his 26M can go with the older merc 75hp 28 mp/h you should be happy but remember lots of HP without Torq, is not much good for a mac26m a 90-115HP eng. with less Torq will use more fuel & be slower than a 75hp with lots of Torq. :!: :idea: :) :wink:

J

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:14 am

John's right.

Torque is the key. & Frankly, I don't have as much torque as these guys.

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:19 am

Don't worry about it Gaz

Its the size that counts..... LOL

I think John has fried his fuel pump..... at least that is the latest excuse as to why he wont race me yet.....

I am dieing to hear the excuses once I finally get to race him.

Well of course you smoked me..... look at all the weight I am carrying around with me..... LOL

Common J....... I'm waiting for ya..... tic toc.......

LOL :wink: :wink: 8)

G

Bobby T.-26X #4767
Captain

Post by Bobby T.-26X #4767 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:19 pm

jjan wrote:Yet another question this time regarding insurance. As I read further into the forum I have now discovered the argument regarding the potential legal implications of using an engine larger than the current factory "Recommended" maximum HP.
The Mac 26 has a "manufacturer's recommendation" of outboard horsepower, not a rating. If the legally prescribed "rating formula" was applied to the dimensions of a Mac 26 hull, that horsepower limit would exceed Macgregor's recommendation (50 hp) by about 200 more hp. Note that many of the 18-footer hulls that ARE regulated, carry ratings of 200+ hp.

USCG review wrote:
The rating of maximum power capacity became a matter of U.S. Federal Regulations in the mid-1970's following the adoption of the U.S. Boating Safety Act of 1971. This dictated that all outboard boats of less than 20 feet in length must carry a capacity plate stating the maximum number of passengers, maximum number of pounds for passengers and gear, and the maximum horsepower of the outboard that should be installed.

The regulation did not make it illegal for the operator to exceed the rated values, only that they were required to be stated on the boat's capacity plate. Exceeding the numbers was a matter of personal liability in case of an accident, and in some states, for additional violations, in the event on an on-water arrest (for other violations) by marina patrol.

Bob T.
"DāBob"
'02X w/ '04 90-TLDI (14" x 11 pitch)
Dinghy Motor: '06 2.5-Suzuki

mike0404
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: I'm Shopping

Post by mike0404 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:57 am

Hi
This is an old post, but it applies to my macx , i have to decide if i put $ in my honda bf50a 2000, and use my merc20hp 2strk as back up and more power if needed. We sail most of the time and the maximum speed i can get is 17-18 knts facing wind (20knts). I guess i would speed up to 22 knots adding my 20hp back up. This will mean a stern buoyancy bracket , i am planning a swim stern bracket anyway, better also at the marina. This marina has low floating docks whereas in florida we had high fixed docks. The mac loves fresh water now, no more d.... salt. New detmar rack and pinion steering (works well) and soon new tilt/trim pump.
My friend has a BRP evinrude 90hp, about the same width as my honda. He has some issues (spark plugs ) but mostly i think it is ethanol related ... i.e. water in the gas.
A 90 hp and a 20hp backup ! absolutely need a floating stern bracket. (that would be 28-32knots unballasted) I may consider lots of batteries forward for creature comforts and charge those with solar and/or honda 2000 ... with CO fan . I would eliminate the second house bat. next to start bat. My minimax supplies power for charging cells. . Could consider buying more minimax ... my lead acid start is 9 month old, my house is 1,5 y old. Lithiumlipo is definitely considered for long term. Could even use them as backup for cpus and fridge in power shortage.
Torqueedo is in my rear mirror, hum.
We have "included" in our slip fees 30 amp buffet power and water. So enjoying a "free" ride with electric motoring is attracting. Plus the low noise factor.
Enough for now.