Winch Rant

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Capt Sully
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Winch Rant

Post by Capt Sully » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:03 pm

:evil: I just don't understand why you would build a basically good aluminum trailer, then plan and install a winch rated at 1100 lbs, for our 26 M, then install it upside down??? this is a brand new 2010 trailer. This 1100 lb winch uses laminated gears, not a sold machined sold metal gear like every other winch I've seen, but thin laminated gear teeth that bend and break off. A bolt system on the lock lever that is so week it bends under pressure. :evil: then more insult comes when you go to replace with a capable winch, the holes don't aline as the same holes from the piece of crap winch that Roger put on. I was lucky I had tools and rope to secure my boat back on the trailer. Cutting cost is one thing, but how do you expect to feel safe with a cheap 1100 lb winch???

Ok, I feel better now, but will feel even more so after I replace the winch.
Last edited by Capt Sully on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lloyd Franks
First Officer

Re: Wench Rant

Post by Lloyd Franks » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:23 pm

I would love to see a picture of that 1100 pound "wench". :)

Scott
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 25
Location: 1978 Catalina 22 with all the Racing Goodies!! 4 horse fire breathing monster on the transom

Post by Scott » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:31 pm

It would take an 110 lb wench to use laminated gears.

Sully we know you mean winch. Someone slightly more mature is bound to chime in with a serious answer.

or not.

My Time
Deckhand
Location: Formerly "matt19020" Bensalem PA... 2007 Suzuki DF70..."My Time" -

Post by My Time » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:41 pm

It is not just the Aluminum ones...I replaced my 2007 in early 2009 ...for the cost of a new one you will be glad you did it!
I recomend going a little oversized if it will bolt on properly also replace the black V rubber stop with a polyurethane one you will be glad you did...

rfrye94760
Chief Steward
Location: Roselle, IL "s/v Mitaza" 2010 26M, MACM 2536 H910, Evinrude ETEC 60HP slipped Racine, WI

Re: Winch Rant

Post by rfrye94760 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:54 pm

Capt. Sully
Prepare for the flood of responses from the Roger MacGregor fan club. You'll hear all about "price points", "building to a market", "alot of boat for the money" and "getting families out on the water." A whole lot of "Roger does this" or "Roger does that" as if these guys know him personally or that he is even interested in knowing anyone who buys one of his boats for that matter. The fact is MacGregor uses the cheapest parts and materials he can find in order to build the biggest profit into the boats. Nothing wrong with any of those things, he's in business to make money not friends out of buyers. Where he is wrong is in his deceptive advertising about his boats and the shoddy construction of them. His lack of attention to quality and detail makes his boats look as if they are missing their "Made in China" label. Yes that includes his trailer as well.

Québec 1
Admiral

Post by Québec 1 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:07 pm

I have a 26M. Number 47, a 2003 model . Trailer still looks solid and the winch still works as advertised. I haul it with my car as advertised. It has motored at 20 miles per hour as advertised with more stuff on it than the advertised one and has sailed at 10.9 knots which is better than advertised . I just got water skis for it and will tell u if you can ski with it as advertised :D :D .

I could sell it for more than what I payed for it 3 years ago, but then I bought it slightly used and fully loaded like all my other motorized units. 8)

Q1

p.s. Could be the newer models are not as well made as the earlier models, :evil: but then I know people with newer models who seem satisfied.

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:21 pm

I think that it has more to do with expectations, than the boat. If someone is not satisfied with a MacGregor, they can always sell it and move up. From what I have seen, Macs hold their value better than most. I am extremely satisfied with my 2001 X. If this makes me a Roger fan, so be it.

~Rich

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:12 am

Ive been really happy with my 2002 :macx:

At least the trailer winch is relatively easily to switch out. The boat winches are much harder.

On/about 2008, Macgregor changed from Lewmars to the cheaper marelon winches which suck imho.

Rick Westlake
Captain
Location: Casa Rio Marina, Mayo, MD; MacGregor 26X, "Bossa Nova" - Bristol 29.9 "Halcyon"

Post by Rick Westlake » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:35 am

Catigale, I was thinking about the cabin-top winches too when I clicked to view this thread. I sail solo, and I never use the cabin-top winches; I have cam-cleats on the back of the genoa tracks, plus clam cleats and snap fairleads a foot or so back of them for my spinnaker sheets. I want everything in easy reach from the helm.

I'd like to install Andersen 12ST winches back on the coamings, behind the genoa tracks, but I'm afraid the coamings are too narrow for them. Saw a mod where someone put self-tailing winches back on the transom, but that's too far back for my tastes.

Capt. Sully, I'm of the opinion that the best way to take care of the MacGregor trailer winch is to replace the whole trailer.

dxg68
Chief Steward

Post by dxg68 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:37 am

Québec 1 wrote: I just got water skis for it and will tell u if you can ski with it as advertised :D :D
My son was wakeboarding behind my :macm: all last summer. We are going to do it again this summer. With 60 hp I could pull him at about 19 mi/hr WOT with no ballast. He had lots of fun.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:05 am

Sully,

The winch on my 2005 M trailer broke about two years ago. I replaced it with this. Image The holes on the trailer did not align with winch, but that was not hard to rectify.

Ray

Scott
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 25
Location: 1978 Catalina 22 with all the Racing Goodies!! 4 horse fire breathing monster on the transom

Post by Scott » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:11 am

The fact is MacGregor uses the cheapest parts and materials he can find in order to build the biggest profit into the boats. Nothing wrong with any of those things, he's in business to make money not friends out of buyers. Where he is wrong is in his deceptive advertising about his boats and the shoddy construction of them. His lack of attention to quality and detail makes his boats look as if they are missing their "Made in China" label. Yes that includes his trailer as well
Kind of a harsh review of the boat. I researched before I bought, knew what I was getting into, was not dissapointed and never had problem one with manufacture, parts or materials on my 96X.

It is what it is. And it aint a J boat.

rwmiller56
First Officer
Location: SF Bay Area, CA; 2005 MacGregor 26M, "Lazy Lightning", 2015 E-Tec 60 HP

Post by rwmiller56 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:46 am

The trailer winch on my 2005 :macm: failed shortly after I bought it in 2009. The winch mounting plate sheared off directly at one of the mounting holes, leaving the winch held onto the trailer by one bolt, and the mounting plate bent at a 45 degree angle. Not very comforting, as I was towing the boat at the time I noticed it. I've replaced it with an oversized winch, and the mounting holes lined up fine.

Also, the winch on my mast raising system failed. It would only work in one direction (tighten. It would not loosen properly). I believe the internal spring mechanism failed. I replaced the winch with a heavier duty one, that has a manual lock lever, as opposed to an automatic system.

I was a bit disappointed, but not totally surprised, by both of these failures.

Québec 1
Admiral

Post by Québec 1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 am

NiceAft wrote:Sully,

The winch on my 2005 M trailer broke about two years ago. I replaced it with this. Image The holes on the trailer did not align with winch, but that was not hard to rectify.

Ray
Sweet!

rfrye94760
Chief Steward
Location: Roselle, IL "s/v Mitaza" 2010 26M, MACM 2536 H910, Evinrude ETEC 60HP slipped Racine, WI

Post by rfrye94760 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Scott,
Maybe the older Macs were just better as it pertains to quality of construction and assembly. I did do my research and knew I was buying a half breed boat that would probably perform both functions "adequately" which is what I've found to be true. What I couldn't do research on were things like interior gel coat chips masked with touch up paint, wiring that drops out from under the ceiling liner, fiberglass dust everywhere, seeing daylight through the hull in spots, a steering mechanism that sounds like a rusty gate, sealant that looks like it was applied with a butter knife, etc. None of these are design characteristics but quality control issues. As for advertising 24mph with a 60hp, well I have a 2010 M with a 2009 Etec 60 and I top out with two aboard and 12 gals. of fuel at 19.5mph. My Etec has been looked at twice by the mechanic and I'm within rpm range with the MacGregor recommended prop. 4.5 mph below advertised seems, to me, to be a little excessive. Also, (I know how whiny this sounds so please indulge me) I wanted the under dinette cooler and the window trim that was in the video the factory sent me when I sent a request for info.
Now, what I like about the Mac is that it does motor decently and sail decently and I personally think it's a pretty boat. It is enjoyable for my whole family which was my first priority and why I ended up with a Mac. I have to be honest though and say, if asked, I don't love my Mac but I like it. I don't like, at all, how MacGregor does business though.
Again, maybe age matters here because I get the impression from posts that the older Macs just don't have alot of these issues.
As for Hamin' X's suggestion that if you aren't happy with the Mac you bought factory new, you should just "sell it and move up", that's as ludicrous as a previous post where he suggested we might get better customer service if we only asked nicer.
My response to the folks at MacGregor would be if you can't make your profit margin and do the job right at approx. $20,000 let the buyer know up front or charge a little bit more. Because what do you think all of those little items would cost to do right? Would another $1000 be enough? hull, I'll give you $1500 and you can use the extra $500 to make a current video.
Anyway, I apologize to the group for coming off like a "stiff -----",... now you kids take your ball and get off my lawn!
Bob