Winch Rant

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Capt Sully
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Winch Rant with up date

Post by Capt Sully » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Today I took the Trailer Winch back to my Dealer where I made my purchase. Showed him my Broken Tooth, Bent, Stripped Winch. He just asked me what happened, and I explained, all I did was to crank it up about two feet up the trailer while it was still in the water. So he looked at it, and said, no problem, let me order you a replacement. So the customer service is much better than the quality of the winch. I started this thread as a Winch Rant, then alot of people hijacked it and went into a rant on the Boat. I have no problem with the Boat, I'm enjoying it very much. And I pulled this Boat for 13 hrs from Atlanta to the Chesapeake Bay for a 6 day Sailing trip, and we had a blast. How many boats can you do that with? :macm: it's just the winch :evil: it sucks.

dvideohd
First Officer

Wench Rant....

Post by dvideohd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:09 pm

Well.....

Any way you cut it, it's a better deal for a Mac than ANY use of Gov't Bailout money you can think of......

So I guess it's time to change to a different kind of Winch Rant...

I have a few rants about my Wench - but this may not be the place to post them. Next time I fall in the water (after all), I have to rely on the Wench to swing the boat around and pick me up.

--jerry

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: Winch Rant

Post by Catigale » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:15 am

Which winch does your wHench want???

ralphk
Engineer

Post by ralphk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:17 am

I've changed my Mac trailer winch every few years.
It's a consumable, like toner or brake pads.
No big deal.

The root cause, is the geometry of the thing. At the ramp, with the Mac completely forward into the rubber "Y" bowstop, there is of course still space between the hull and the rear bunks.
Upon pulling out, the hull settles and the boat pivots around some mystery point in the forward third. From the driver's point of view the bow has retreated back, leaving an undesireable gap.
This is bad for towing. - See many threads on the "Mac Bump"

The real destroyer of winches (IMHO) is when after a long haul, the Mac does slip slightly backwards, putting excessive strain on the winch cable or strap.
Now you have to force the winch mechanism into the reverse ratchet position. This is often difficult, and stressful at a busy ramp.
Hammers, crowbars and tire-irons have all been deployed, while the ramp onlookers hover, ask questions, "how much longer?" etc.

I started chaining the bow to the trailer ladder, adding an anchor shackle, a few years ago. Now I release tension on the winch strap a little, the stress on the gears is releaved.
If the Mac creeps back on the highway, then I can safely remove the shackle pin with hammer.

wrt to Wenches - The statement about consumable toner or brake pads, likely does not apply.

sbods
Chief Steward

Post by sbods » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:48 pm

Catigale wrote:Ive been really happy with my 2002 :macx:

At least the trailer winch is relatively easily to switch out. The boat winches are much harder.

On/about 2008, Macgregor changed from Lewmars to the cheaper marelon winches which suck imho.
My first thought on seeing this thread too was that of the boat winches!
I know the MAC is a small boat but winching in the sheet on the genny can be tough work in a blow when short handing.... for the few extra quid self tailers would have been nice (I know - I hear you about price points and profit margins... the cost of replacing them wholesale after purchase is massively different though to making the small change at production)
:macx:

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:18 pm

sbods wrote:I know the MAC is a small boat but winching in the sheet on the genny can be tough work in a blow when short handing.... for the few extra quid self tailers would have been nice (I know - I hear you about price points and profit margins... the cost of replacing them wholesale after purchase is massively different though to making the small change at production)
:macx:
I guess I've never been out in that much wind. Plus I only have the standard jib; wish I had gone for the genny.
But honestly, I have never used the winches (Lewmar). For the life of me I don't even know where the handle is. The cam cleats on my jib sheets work very well.
On my 34' I DEFINITELY used the self tailing winches though.

--Russ

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:04 pm

For the life of me I don't even know where the handle i
Yours have handles?? That would make them a lot easier to use...
:wink:

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:07 am

I don't understand......not using winches.....how can you possible achieve sail trim without the use of winches even for a standard jib

Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by Phil M » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:28 am

bartmac wrote:I don't understand......not using winches.....how can you possible achieve sail trim without the use of winches even for a standard jib
How? Head up into the wind to ease the pressure and then adjust your sail. Or, cut so close to the wind that the sail starts flapping. You would never win a race, but it works.

Phil M :macm:

Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:53 am

....and a lot of people inland here in NA sail in 5-10 knot breezes unike Oceania!!

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:44 am

Interesting......never thought of that....intentially slow down to adjust your sails,given the mac's known sailing qualities not something I'd consider.We don't race but sailing only on rivers at the moment complete with sand banks & shallows etc further hampered by tidal flows requires at times an attempt to maximise the amount of "ground" gained.I'm looking forward where the direction we sail in is largely determined by whim and wind direction ie wide and open spaces.Ho yes we do at time get winds of more than 5-10 knots

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:39 am

Phil M wrote:
bartmac wrote:I don't understand......not using winches.....how can you possible achieve sail trim without the use of winches even for a standard jib
How? Head up into the wind to ease the pressure and then adjust your sail. Or, cut so close to the wind that the sail starts flapping. You would never win a race, but it works.

Phil M :macm:
Exactly!
Or set the sheets while tacking.
If I need to tighten up...2 seconds of heading up into the wind is much easier than digging out the winch handle.

Again, I only have the standard jib. A bigger Jenny might need more effort. And of course a "real" man doesn't need no stinkin' winch handle. :wink:

--Russ

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:27 am

RussMT wrote:..... For the life of me I don't even know where the (winch) handle is. --Russ
Russ you might want to find a handle. It just might save the day sometime and I'm not talking sail trim. When I was hurt on Lake Powell and was pretty much useless for a couple days Ruth used the winch to reposition the boat on the shore lines and to also pull the anchor up when we finally left. She couldn't of done it without the winch and I was in no shape to do it without the winch either.

Also if you are ever grounded taking the anchor out and winching off might save the day there also. I even bought a second handle....

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/mi ... /index.htm

....as a spare since they aren't that expensive at $27.00.

As to sail trim we honestly haven't used it much there either :( , but need to pay more attention to sail shape in the future,

Sum

Our Trips to ...

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

mgmathews
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 25
Location: Pasco, WA - Snake River, Lake Sacajawea; Columbia River, Lake Wallula

Post by mgmathews » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 am

Sumner, Have you tested it to see if your winch handle really floats?

-Mike

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:48 am

Sumner wrote:
RussMT wrote:..... For the life of me I don't even know where the (winch) handle is. --Russ
Russ you might want to find a handle. It just might save the day sometime and I'm not talking sail trim. When I was hurt on Lake Powell and was pretty much useless for a couple days Ruth used the winch to reposition the boat on the shore lines and to also pull the anchor up when we finally left. She couldn't of done it without the winch and I was in no shape to do it without the winch either.

Also if you are ever grounded taking the anchor out and winching off might save the day there also. I even bought a second handle....

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/mi ... /index.htm

....as a spare since they aren't that expensive at $27.00.
Sum,
You make a good point. I totally agree that the winch is a valuable tool for stuff besides sail trim as you have mentioned above.
I'm joking about the handle. I know it's down below in the spare parts box if I need it. I just haven't needed it.

The handle in your link looks good. I would strongly suggest a locking handle (like the one above) as on my old boat I watched a $50 handle slide down the deck and plop into the water when a crew person accidentally knocked it out (and it promptly sank).

--Russ