Weighted centreboard 26X

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

bartmac
Captain

Weighted centreboard 26X

Post by bartmac » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:19 am

Having now sailed our boat a few times and looking at mods and improvements....I'm just wondering the effect of a weighted centreboard.Two reasons 1 the board doesn't have a particularly positive action ie it doesn't drop with any speed and secondly is there any appreciable advantage in sailing performance.I would also bear in mind the mounting of the board and any additional load imposed.We have owned swing keeled trailersailers before one which had 450 kilos....raising it was quite a job requiring a winch.I think I've seen a write up of one where 55LBs was added...I assume the centreboard to be hollow a per the rudderblades

bscott
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Arvada, Colorado 2001 X, M rotating mast, E-tec 60 with Power Thruster, "HUFF n Puff"

Re: Weighted centreboard 26X

Post by bscott » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:10 am

I have added weight to other CB boats and had to add purchase to their raising systems plus fabricating a pin bushing to support the extra weight--50# lead shot. The :macx: board is hollow and will need a bushing--someone on this board did modify his board. Try the SEARCH function.

Bob

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:45 pm

I rebuilt my Mac.X centerboard as it was split around the joint head 8 inches down, I added Polyester resin thru the weep holes to fill the bottom of centerboard aprox. 8 inches from bottom to add weight and stiffness.
I also changed to all Braided line drop and lifting board.
It know takes a good strong back to lift centerboard when all the way down. The pivit bolt is just to close to head and even adding about 5 lbs to bottom of centerboard made lifting much more.
When glassing the headboard I also increased width so board would not slop in the trunk or down.
If I put a roller at the deck for the centerboard line it would be much easier to lift up.
Dave
bartmac wrote:Having now sailed our boat a few times and looking at mods and improvements....I'm just wondering the effect of a weighted centreboard.Two reasons 1 the board doesn't have a particularly positive action ie it doesn't drop with any speed and secondly is there any appreciable advantage in sailing performance.I would also bear in mind the mounting of the board and any additional load imposed.We have owned swing keeled trailersailers before one which had 450 kilos....raising it was quite a job requiring a winch.I think I've seen a write up of one where 55LBs was added...I assume the centreboard to be hollow a per the rudderblades

Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Post by Erik Hardtle » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:07 pm

I did it. 138 pounds. Check out the thread and my website for details,

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... ard#p14206

Erik

Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by Phil M » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:37 am

Eric,
Your (image) picture of the project has disappeared. :( The website, Allways-online.com, is not online anymore. :|

Phil

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Having looked at the 138lb centreboard mod I realise its going to be a serious job mainly because of the lifting purchase point's proximity to the pivot point of the board......any increase in weight is going to increase the effort required exponentially....especially as we would want to increase in weight to be at the furtherest end....mmmmm will have look at this more closely

The Mutt
Captain
Location: Springwood, NSW, devinetemptations.com/macgregor26x.htm

Post by The Mutt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:07 pm

I'm still undeceided about adding weight to the centreboard, I'll see how Imagine sails after we complete the bowsprit.

Glenn

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Glen, I wouldn't add any weight to bottom of Centerboard unless you have a ballbearing roller at the top 90 degree turn.
Only reason I added polyester resin to bottom of centerboard was to stiffen it and so when I sail or motor 6 knots the little extra weight keeps the board down when lowerd down 8-10 inches. the force of water may lift it without that extra 3-4 lbs.
Hard to see how much the board does lift at those speeds but I like what I did and no slop in centerboard underway or at anchorage and very good tracking. I just need to add a small roller at the line exit point at mast for that 90 degree turn.
Dave
The Mutt wrote:I'm still undeceided about adding weight to the centreboard, I'll see how Imagine sails after we complete the bowsprit.

Glenn