Composting toilets

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Bill McClure
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Composting toilets

Post by Bill McClure »

I have an opportunity to buy a composting toilet for the boat. Was hoping to hear from the folks out there who have them how they have been working. Thanks.

Bill
fishheadbarandgrill
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Re: Composting toilets

Post by fishheadbarandgrill »

Me too. I'm tired of the porta-potty smell. And it's my job to empty after each underway.

Bob
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

Bob, I have a 5 gal. holding tank that gets empty after a 2-3-4-5 day trip . this is done thru my better half relationship.
Dave :wink:
PS: Actually she is a keeper!
fishheadbarandgrill wrote:Me too. I'm tired of the porta-potty smell. And it's my job to empty after each underway.

Bob
Uncle Jim
Engineer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Uncle Jim »

Recently read a long post about these on sailnet.com "poo isn't so bad" talked about pros and cons. I'd install one if I could aford it. Seperats the liquid forom the solids by using different chambers and adding a composting material like coconut husk fibers. Anyway they seem to work and the smell is at a minimumn

on edit here's another link with a followup report by an owner
Jim
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Ive found 4 oz of formaldehyde containing deod. works well on our boat - minimal smell and no complaints from the young admirals on board, or the Admiral herself. This is with the 5 gallon holding tank. Sure would like that 10 gallon one some day...

Remember to add a bit of water at the start to keep things sloshing.
Uncle Jim
Engineer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Uncle Jim »

Composting heads are not about keeping the odor down they turn the poo to dirt! The drawback is that it takes about 30 days after the use. It last about 80 uses before it needs to be emptied or about once a season for the average Mac user. Once it has composted it is in all respects just dirt and can be spread in the garden. Don’t think I’d be comfortable enough with the process to spread it on a vegetable garden but there are many who say it’s safe.
Only maintenance is to empty the pee bottle every few uses, and turn a crank after each use. Start up is adding a composting material like shredded coconut husks or peat and an enzyme to get the process started.
The only reason I do not have one is the cost. For much more information read the sailnet.com posts above. Very informative.
kelseydo
Chief Steward

Post by kelseydo »

I’ve found two composting toilets on the web that look to be USCG approved; http://www.natureshead.net/marine.html and http://www.sun-mar.com/prod_self_mobi.html . I’m considering one as a possible upgrade, if I try to rig the X for a loop. Has anyone installed either in an X?
Thanks,
Dan
geminiI-Can
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by geminiI-Can »

I have just returned from the Seattle Boat Show and was able to see both the Nature's Head and AirHead composting toilets. I like the concept but wonder about their height in the M? I am pretty sure that if I put it on the shelf where the porta-potty sits there would not be enough head (sic) room to sit and perform the act. Has anybody installed one of these in an M and if so where? I have also heard of another version called a C-Head. Anybody used one of them.
Rick
Ormonddude
First Officer

Post by Ormonddude »

I read a very long write up on the natures head, and the owner/tester got a fly problem - sand flies aiding the decomposition and also annoying the bajesus out of him he went on to say they went away in a cooler climate - I know from being a Florida boy any type of open untreated waste is going to become home to all kinds of annoying critters especially on land on its trailer when the roaches take flight and fire ants - So make sure you consider your climate the northern folks have less problems there I believe, also if you leave it in the water your sure to have less critters creating a marching path as far as smell he said it worked Great, but for the Head to work he had to empty his bladder sitting down.(so as to keep it separated from solids) Now I am no mans man - you may even say I am a fat sob but I am not going to sit down when I pee Sorry I draw the line right there!
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

We bought an Airhead composting toilet last season, after viewing them at the Seattle Boat Show. We used it last summer, and were very pleased with it. It installed nicely in our 26X, having very nearly the same footprint as our old porta-potty. I plumbed the vent hose to the solar nicro vent already installed in the head window, and added a switch to the electric vent fan which the Airhead comes with. It was a neat, simple installation, and the vent setup allows me to rely on the solar fan when it's running well, or by turning the switch, I can run the 12 volt fan, which has an extremely low draw. On our 3 week San Juan/Gulf Island cruise, with 3 people aboard, it performed great, and still had capacity available at the end of the trip.

At this year's boat show, both the Airhead and its competitor, Nature's Head, were being exhibited. Design concept for both units are identical. Airhead was first on the market, and I'm told by the Airhead rep that Natures Head was made by a former employee. Airhead is priced a little higher. The Natures Head is a little nicer in appearance (opinion), however, it has a couple deficiencies. The vent fan is placed at the lower end of the vent hose, instead of at the top, and that supposedly reduces its efficiency by comparison. Airhead has rubber gasketing for the toilet seat and lid, to prevent bugs from entering. I'm told that bugs can more readily enter the Natures Head. I'm not sure how the dimensions compare, and how they would fit in the M's head, but the concept is sound, and I think they are an excellent choise for MacGregors. I always hated emptying the porta potty tank, which needed to be done about once a week. I also struggled to keep odors under control with the old porta potty. I think we will be able to get about a month's use, with 2 aboard, between emptyings.
Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix »

geminiI-can,
I'll be looking at the Airhead at Stricktly sail Miami: I still have some questions but if they are answered satisfactory I will install one in my :macm: .
I plan not to install on the pedestal but in the space in front of it, mounting the Airhead on a plywood subfloor that I fasten to the FG on the ballast tank side and to the FG under the current door. I will remove the hard door and install curtains to get mor space. :idea:

Obelix
bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac »

Airhead.....have owned one for 2 years....shared between our camper and Mac26x....couple of observations!!!!! ONE make sure the liquid/solid seperation is not hampered by tilt ie using ours whilst the Mac is on the trailer puts the whole thing on a slight backward tilt...ie liquid can and does run into the solid chamber....NOT good.The other problem is insects...you have to be really careful not to allow a infestation to commence......we had small compost flies...but have now worked out if you use cocopeat this does not allow the blighters to start.The emptying of the liquid tank is NOT nearly as bad as a portapotti but does need to be done very regularly.Our main reason for the airhead is the fact you dont need a pumpout....most places we go dont have those facilities in fact we look for places with no facilities so one thing less to worry about.We are now experimenting with new start up method not "turning" the solids to start with but just covering (from prewetted cocopeat held in small plastic containers) until the required level of cocopeat is reached....seems to be working really well.In 2 years we have emptied ours 4 times....3 times after complete composting....dark compost not smelly not recognisable as what it was previously....AND.......once when liquids got in...............not good and had to do it on the water.....the worst!!!
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

We have been using the compressed coconut husk medium, called Coir, and it seems to work well. It needs to be premoistened before putting into the Airhead. The plastic bag technique works well. Break off a flake of Coir and put it into a gallon zip lock bag, and add water. Expect it to at least double in volume once it hydrates. We sprinkle powdered enzyme (kind used by plumbers to clean out drain pipes) into the composting tub with nearly every use. We also put granulated sugar into the urine tank after emptying. The sugar seems to help control urine odor if the tank is allowed to go for a while between emptyings.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Catigale wrote:Ive found 4 oz of formaldehyde containing deod. works well on our boat - minimal smell and no complaints from the ...
Ditto.

We've experimented with various chemicals. "Citrus based", "Environmentally Friendly".
The formaldehyde with deodorizer works best. It really keeps the smell down and dumping doesn't require nose plugs.
The 5gal potty works well for our crew also.

And remember, in these isles of sun and fun, we never flush for number one.
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

A little off topic as our PP is liquid only UNLESS! Absolute emergency. I've made buddies blow up the digny and row to shore many times. Or there's a perfectly good and nice harbour facilities when at dock or in another town. BUT?? Any other suggestions like the sugar to control the beast? Would like to keep it green. We use bio friendly stuff that kinda works, but its not that great. Any suggestions?