Composting toilets

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Fireboat52
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: Venture 25

Re: Composting toilets

Post by Fireboat52 »

I would like to post a suggestion for those of you that are realling wanting to manage your waste in a responsible way. Some people don't want to dump offshore or don't go offshore or are on the Great Lakes. If you are concerned about that kind of disposal, and I respect your decision, you probably are just as opposed to dumping your waste in the dumpster. There is an easy alternative that should appeal to you that you can use. So as not to try to deceive anybody, some of you alread know that I build the C-Head and was invited to comment on this thread. If you go to my website and go to the BoonJon side of the website, http://www.c-head.com/BoonJon_system.html, you will see how you can build a simple, handsome composting tower where you can put your waste when you get home. Store it in a bucket and then dump it in the composting tower. You will never fill it up in a year unless you are spending 3/4 of the year on the water. It is odorless and simple, It does not pollute the ground water and it looks nice. You can use it with any of the three composting toilets. It makes great compost. The info is free and it eliminates all the discussion as to whether the waste is fully composted or not. With the BoonJon system, it doesn't matter if it is fully composted or not, the tower and the black soldier flies will do all the work for you. The sweet potatoes are just garnish. Enjoy!

Sandy Graves
mastreb
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by mastreb »

Uh, the cycle of that recycle is just a little too short for my comfort
Fireboat52
Just Enlisted

Post by Fireboat52 »

Uh, the cycle of that recycle is just a little too short for my comfort
The sweet potatoes are not meant to be eaten, just to make it look nice. In a survival situation, for which the system is designed, they can be eaten because you have to bake them first, but that requires more detail and is off topic. I should have pointed that out. Sorry. The sweet potatoes are for the use of the black soldier flies to reproduce. The black soldier flies reduce the waste in record time. As flies they have no intestinal tract and do not eat so they are not a disease vector. In the larva stage they are voracious and can strip a one pound fish to the bone in 12 hours. They do the same with waste so it never gets a chance to smell. The also eat the house fly larva that unfortunately find their way into the waste. They are also free and will find the waste on their own. Remarkable insects.

Sandy
Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal »

Blowboater1

I checked with the manufacturers of both the Airhead and Natures Head units to make sure they were compliant with US and Canadian Regs as I was planning to purchase one in preparation for the 2012 Trailer Sailors Association North Channel Cruise. Both are compliant with US and Canadian Regs. I carried a photocopy of the compliance form with me in case Canadian officials questioned the installation. The USCG purchased several Natures Head units for their Great Lakes boats.

It was nice not having to worry about maxing out a holding tank and deviating from our float plan to get it pumped out. Several of the boats in our group maxed out their holding tanks and had to change their agendas in order to get them pumped out.

I'm very happy with the installation and performance of my Natures Head toilet. I installed the vent through the starboard skylight. There's no smell in the cabin even with the circulation fan disconnected. While it does cut down on headroom. my use time is short so I can live with it. (I leave the newspaper in the cockpit.)

Dale
Y.B.NORMAL
:macm:
Bobglas
First Officer

Post by Bobglas »

:macm: Got rid of the claustrophobic door, installed a curtain, put the nature's head in front of the shelf. Decent headroom (pun?) for us (5'6") it leaves space on the shelf for a small trashcan to hold ziplocs w/ peat mos s and a bucket for spray bottle and other stuff. Used it on 6 five day trips this summer, emptied twice and what came out looked like soil, no smell! Wife, very happy! 8)
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

The "tower o compost" is a good idea but not for people who are gone for weeks or months, or for people who rent (say Bob, I would like to place this really cool tower in the side yard..Well Fred, what is the tower for?) or for people who live in condos (The Association has denied your request to erect a poo tower near the back garden, or anywhere on the property...) or for people with zero setback lots (Dear, I know composting is the responsible thing to do, but the tower really messes with the roofline...) :D :D :D :D
But seriously, is it possible to finish the waste on the boat to enough of a degree that it wont smell when you dispose of it?
Ix
Fireboat52
Just Enlisted

Post by Fireboat52 »

The overwhelming number of composting toilet users (particularly on the east coast) are going to just throw the contents in the trash which probably includes all the cases you listed. I get many more people on the west coast who really want to compost the waste completely. It is a cultural thing. A few people just don't feel good about throwing the contents in the trash. (I have done both but I used a rigid 5 gal bucket instead of a plastic bag and that way I could store one and a half months waste onboard before I had to get rid of it) The tower is a good alternative for them. My tower is located on the fence that borders my neighbors. They actually love that fact that I have beautiful purple and green leaf vines growing over and along the fence into their area and I have to tell you the tower gets nothing but compliments. If someone wants to use a tower, it isn't difficult and they will find a way.

One 4 foot tall, 4 foot wide and 3 foot deep (front to badck) tower will hold about 6-7 five gallon buckets worth of waste, once the soldier flies whittle it down to almost nothing. That is about 9 months of living aboard full time, so it is more than capable of handling an active part time cruiser's waste capacity for a couple of years, I'm sure.

All three portable composting toilets don't smell like poo once you crank the handle a few times. The tower has no smell either. Smell is not really the issue. It is more of a pollution issue for most of these people, I think.

Sandy
FishyFabs
Chief Steward

Post by FishyFabs »

I am thinking about installing a composting head and see a lot of talk about and mods done to heads because of the step on a :macm: I have a 2004 :macm: with fixed galley and this model does not appear to have this stepped shelf. My floor area is flat with a porta potty mounted directly on it and the floor is flush with the passage way to the Vee berth. Therefore Using the modified C head for :macm: on my boat makes no sense obviously.

Does anybody know if there are any issues with installing Natureshead on a 2004 :macm: which does not have this step?

I am also curious to understand why this step was added to later models of the :macm: as I do not see the advantage. I have friends who are 6 ft 4" use the porta potty for a week trip to the North Channel without complaining too much.
RGF
Engineer

Post by RGF »

C-head has a non-shelf model also. :? ( truth in advertising , I have no affiliation with the company) And for the price difference... just my useless two cents...