garage storage clearance height?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
bluehawk
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

garage storage clearance height?

Post by bluehawk »

I am considering modifying a garage to store my Mac26. My Mac is currently slipped, but can someone tell me what overall height would be required for the garage door opening with the mast in the trailer storage position? Also, the garage is 40 ft in length, and I would think that is sufficient for storage, considering the mast protrudes aft quite a bit, and the tongue adds length to the front?
Your assistance is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Dean :macm:
dca81
Chief Steward

Re: garage storage clearance height?

Post by dca81 »

The 40 foot length is sufficient. That is the length of my barn and my :macm: with mast and trailer fits in easily. Sorry can't help with height, I have a 14 foot door and it is more than sufficient, even with the mast on top in its cradle.
captronr
Engineer

Post by captronr »

Can't help you with an exact number, but when I back my X into the driveway, when the mast on the crutch gets as close to the house as I can get it, if I kept backing up, the end of the mast would smash the gutter on my one story ranch house.

Ron
Dennis
Just Enlisted

Post by Dennis »

I wanted to know the answer, too. So I measured: Ground to top of mast in crutch support = 9 feet 7 inches / Overall length on standard factory aluminum :macm: trailer w/ 50hp BF Mercury in raised position = 32 feet 2 inches

Dennis
u12fly
First Officer

Post by u12fly »

I have a 10 foot high, 10 foot wide door and I can squeeze my :macm: through there with little problem. I have to back it into my curved driveway and hit the door opening just right, but after a few practice runs it has become easy. My garage is 40 feet deep and I easily have 6 feet of space between the trailer hitch and the top mast.
bluehawk

Post by bluehawk »

Excellent info, thanks, guys.
Dean
RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB »

I was able to go through a underpass with a posted height of 10 feet. Afterwards, I measured ground to tip of the stowed mast and found it to be 10 feet 3 inches :|
u12fly
First Officer

Post by u12fly »

I measured mine last night and the back tip, highest point of my mast is 9' 11" so I would have made the 10' underpass with space to spare :?. I have the factory aluminum trailer; maybe the older metal trailer is a little taller? Also, when you attach your mast to the bow, I've seen some people hang it in the lower (down) position instead of up like it shows in the manual. This would result in a slightly higher trailing mast height.
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

I've never thought of this, but has anyone tried trailering with the mast upside down?

...spreaders now ride over lifelines

...would shrouds be long enough for one half mast rotation?

Front and pedestal roller mount :macx: should work the same
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

Might you hit the steaming light on the crutch roller, when rolling the mast back to step? Roller furler might be a problem?

~Rich
RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB »

U12Fly

I have the pulpit mount with mast bracket up (as in the directions) and the aluminium trailer. My guess on the 4 inch difference may be due to different towball heights.
u12fly
First Officer

Post by u12fly »

RobertB wrote:U12Fly

I have the pulpit mount with mast bracket up (as in the directions) and the aluminium trailer. My guess on the 4 inch difference may be due to different towball heights.
That is exactly it... I have been playing around with my CG on my trailer a little bit and currently have my ball height a little on the high side.
Catigale wrote:I've never thought of this, but has anyone tried trailering with the mast upside down?

...spreaders now ride over lifelines

...would shrouds be long enough for one half mast rotation?

Front and pedestal roller mount :macx: should work the same
I have trailered with it that way once, when I first bought my boat. I took the speader bars off and flipped the mast leading edge down, it fits the bow roller in the mast carriage very well in that direction. My experience is that it's not worth the effort it takes to flip, and there is no difference in traveling or support.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

That's interesting. I'm pretty sure I measured about 11 ft on my :macx:, but of course, that's a different boat, on a different trailer (original steel trailer), so who knows. I should measure it again when I pull it for the winter so I know for sure.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Rich..I was thinking move mast to trailer position, then flip....light clearance wouldn't be an issue

I made some quick measurements on the :macx: this morning...

120inches from ground to top of mast in trailer position

Height at mast crutch is only 4 inches less

If you had a 10 foot garage door, you could take some length off the mast crutch, and fab a simple wood mount on the front to lower the mast

For stepping, you would have to raise the crutch pole back to give it sufficient angle to clear the mast step, but a simple pin would do that.
zephyr101
Just Enlisted

Post by zephyr101 »

best to visually check befor trying!! if the drive is not level or has a dip or swale in it. trailer is long and height is changed alot by not being level