"Dinghy" for the Mac

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
csm
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

"Dinghy" for the Mac

Post by csm »

Clipped from http://www.clcboats.com/ ""Dinghy" is derived from an old Hindi word for a sailing or rowing passenger vessel. In English, a dinghy is a small rowing and sailing boat, often (but not necessarily) serving as a tender to a mother ship."
The quest continues, for the ultimate extension for the Mac; clcboats has some really cool plans for "nesting" take aparts that appeal, but I'm really leaning towards the porta-bote (http://www.porta-bote.com/index.php). I have a take apart sit on top kayak, which is a killer kayak on the water (has Hobie mirage drive), but isn't super user friendly when it comes to stowing. Anyone have experience with porta-bote or "nesting" homebuilts like the ones on clcboats?
Québec 1
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: "Dinghy" for the Mac

Post by Québec 1 »

My dinghy is a sailors dinghy and fits in a bag under the captains seat or in the vberth storage or on top of the poop deck. It hauls really well behind the boat and carries 6 (very small) people, the smaller they are the more I can get in!
Q1

PS It pumps up really well with a foot pump, if your willing to pump for 15 minutes...but it can be done while drinking beer and scotch and having a conversation.
csm
First Officer

Post by csm »

That's a good setup Q. Does it have a center board?
Québec 1
Admiral

Post by Québec 1 »

If you notice the rudders at midships...well there not rudders they are leeboards...It's a Dutch invention for sailling in shallow waters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeboard
Q1
csm
First Officer

Post by csm »

UOh, I see. I have ,a similar setup on one of my sailing kayaks. I have a bllade off an old paddle attached via a "RAM ball" mountl which is mounted at beam center, so I can flip it from port to starboard to keep leeward when tacking. You're right it works great for shallow water, as it will kick up much like the superior design of tlhe X. 8)
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

I have a West Marine/Zodiac RU-260 which I >HIGHLY< recommend. Very similar to Q's boat, it stores easily in the starboard v-berth rolled up, inflates in five minutes with the giant foot-pump that it comes with, carries five people, has a hard transom that will mount more than enough hp to move it, rows easily and well with oars that come with it, and costs about $700 new on sale. Been exceptionally happy with it. It also stores perfectly well inflated on the bow upside down (oars off) and doesn't interfere with the genny. Will catch wind however so tie it down.

I snub its bow up to the transom between the stern and the motor, loop the painter around the mast carrier, and pull back on it to keep the bow tight against the boat while I board it. It's simple and easy.

I think the only possible improvement would be a high-pressure inflatable bottom rather than the roll-up plastic slats, but they work.

I keep looking at the Port-A-Botes, and bought plans for an Oragami, but there's just no way that they're going to store as easily as an inflatable. Don't go too big to store upside down on the bow inflated--that really keeps things simple while we're camping. I'm able to inflate it in the cockpit and launch from the boat, but not de-flate it and re-roll--that takes a dock.

I have a recurring dream about a fiberglass shell for the cockpit that doubles as an odd looking dinghy, but it remains a dream.
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

In '06, after much deliberation and searches from this board I went with an 8' Porta- Bote for use with my :macx: - when needed. & for my type of boating it is very rarely needed. I just got back from Marathon, Fl. I hardly used it. Glad I have it and figure I can store it in the boat if necessary, but used it mainly because I dragged it around :|

I didn't try to assemble it on board - which would probably be possible - but a show. I figure a mat or piece of carpet or something on that order about 5-7' in size would help to not scratch cabin top. But a boat in a bag is a lot of pieces to stow till needed. I use a honda 2.5 that I mount otherwise on the back of the :macx: as a backup to the sails.
csm
First Officer

Post by csm »

The RU60 looks good; tried tocheck specs, but WM isn't listing on their web site. From other sties, looks to weigh appx 50#. How compact will it stow? An Army duffle bag, bag and a half, two bags??
davidbourne
Chief Steward

Post by davidbourne »

I wonder if this is the boat that's replacing the RU-260 at West Marine:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50604

I have an 12 ft Portabote that I like, but it's too big for my 26M, I'm afraid. I can tow it behind the boat, but storing it aboard will be a challenge.

And like Gazmn said, putting that thing together on the boat would not be easy. You would need a beach or dock, to easily do it.

The Admirals' not going to like that I need a 3rd boat now!
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

Well it looks like the RU-260 has been replaced by the RU-3 and the SB-275. The RU-260 was 8', the RU-3 is 8'6" and the SB-275 is 9'. Otherwise they look identical and they're all actually made by Zodiac. The newer boats both have a higher carrying capacity than the RU-260, and a higher price unfortunately. Seems like these things cost about $1/lb. of carrying capacity ATM.

The boat rolls up and has a wrap-around bag with D-ring straps and two handles. It's 50' lbs. and I can handle it by myself rolled up into the boat and down into the V-berth. The rolled up size is about 5' long, 2' wide, 1' high. You can roll the oars up inside the boat, but I keep them out and under the port forward seat opposite the head. The transom is plywood with a metal plate to mount an outboard.

The slat floors are actually plastic, not plywood, and they aren't snugged right up against one another, so the floor is not at all rigid, but works well. I doubt you'd plane on it, but it rows so easily that I've not yet bothered to get an outboard for it but I'm planning on a Suzi 2.5hp for it as soon as we plan a trip to somewhere that warrants it.
Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey »

I've now got a 7.5ft SeaClear with a 2.5 mini Suzi. Hasn't seen water yet!
What do you think about these: http://www.allinflatables.com/shopping/ ... index.html
(similar in some ways to the Smart Tabs I'm going to put on my :macm: this spring.)
Maybe better with higher HP, but still useful for loading and stability in an inflatable.
Ross
Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey »

Also, as my 2.5 is the same (recarburetted) engine, displacement wise, as the 4hp model, these mini 'foils' should work with the same package of advantages as on - The big Boat
http://www.allinflatables.com/shopping/ ... tabil.html
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

I have had the Solstice 9.5 ft inflatable since 2009 and like it. is built much like the $1000 boats but has full tubeing around stearn( much for boyancy at stearn than the wooded transum) and my Suzuki 2.5 hp fits on a removable bracket. This boat sells at WM for $400 and has 2 air chambers with Boston valves, air floor and seperate air keel.
I wrote 2 reviews under David at the site.
They don't recommend towing but I have done it many times even in winds of 20 knots or more, I just keep it close to stearn with a bridel on each Port and Starboard cleat and pressure is only about 5 lbs on the line so drag is nothing in this 32 lb boat. It folds in half length wise and rolls up to about 28 inches width and 14 inches high.
I have had 5 people on in going about a mile with weight about 1000 lbs and still did well in calm waters.
Here is info and ck reviews.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50608
Dave
mastreb wrote:Well it looks like the RU-260 has been replaced by the RU-3 and the SB-275. The RU-260 was 8', the RU-3 is 8'6" and the SB-275 is 9'. Otherwise they look identical and they're all actually made by Zodiac. The newer boats both have a higher carrying capacity than the RU-260, and a higher price unfortunately. Seems like these things cost about $1/lb. of carrying capacity ATM.

The boat rolls up and has a wrap-around bag with D-ring straps and two handles. It's 50' lbs. and I can handle it by myself rolled up into the boat and down into the V-berth. The rolled up size is about 5' long, 2' wide, 1' high. You can roll the oars up inside the boat, but I keep them out and under the port forward seat opposite the head. The transom is plywood with a metal plate to mount an outboard.

The slat floors are actually plastic, not plywood, and they aren't snugged right up against one another, so the floor is not at all rigid, but works well. I doubt you'd plane on it, but it rows so easily that I've not yet bothered to get an outboard for it but I'm planning on a Suzi 2.5hp for it as soon as we plan a trip to somewhere that warrants it.
Québec 1
Admiral

Post by Québec 1 »

DaveB wrote:I have had the Solstice 9.5 ft inflatable since 2009 and like it. is built much like the $1000 boats but has full tubeing around stearn( much for boyancy at stearn than the wooded transum) and my Suzuki 2.5 hp fits on a removable bracket. This boat sells at WM for $400 and has 2 air chambers with Boston valves, air floor and seperate air keel.
I wrote 2 reviews under David at the site.
They don't recommend towing but I have done it many times even in winds of 20 knots or more, I just keep it close to stearn with a bridel on each Port and Starboard cleat and pressure is only about 5 lbs on the line so drag is nothing in this 32 lb boat. It folds in half length wise and rolls up to about 28 inches width and 14 inches high.
I have had 5 people on in going about a mile with weight about 1000 lbs and still did well in calm waters.
Here is info and ck reviews.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50608
Dave
mastreb wrote:Well it looks like the RU-260 has been replaced by the RU-3 and the SB-275. The RU-260 was 8', the RU-3 is 8'6" and the SB-275 is 9'. Otherwise they look identical and they're all actually made by Zodiac. The newer boats both have a higher carrying capacity than the RU-260, and a higher price unfortunately. Seems like these things cost about $1/lb. of carrying capacity ATM.

If I was to buy another dinghy I'd get the one Dave has because its so light and easy to store.
Q1
Crikey
Admiral

Post by Crikey »

Never mind! Adding a cheaper Chinese built inflatable and an Japanese outboard still adds up to 100lb of extra baggage on my :macm: .
This severely restricts my ration of travelling Scotch! :P