First time out - exhausted !

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
DaveB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Re: First time out - exhausted !

Post by DaveB »

Some people just don't get it and make it hard on them selves.
I am going for a 28 mile NM cruise to Cayo Costa to Meet with fellow Sailers of the WCTSS tomorrow morning. We Have so far 25 trailer sailor boats meeting us there .
We set up Camp fire at Northern spit on Inside Pelican Bay , SW FL.
Always a good time, event starts Friday thru Sunday this weekend.
Dave
Divecoz wrote:Humm maybe I am seeing the definition of rigging wrong..??
Trailering to location is a given, for any boat not in a slip or at your water front home .. 3 choices BTDT 3 different ways..
Rigging for day sailing.. Boat is ready.. its a day sail, not an Exploratory Voyage with Magellan!!!
Sail is on boom at worst in its sail-cover and in cabin.... I have traveled with the sail and boom ready to rock and roll..still attached to the mast...
Get out of TRUCK.. ( no overhead obstructions) mast winch is already there. unstrap winch hook to mast lift.. Mast.. takes a few minutes.. attach fore-stay.. Insert key in ignition squeeze bulb for fuel get off boat.. Back boat into water.. backing is 3 minutes max..
This should, in time become... 1 2 3 4 done.. I see a lot of issues at boat ramps!!! OMG!!!! Too Funny!! For the love ! Take the boat to (walmart) at midnight and practice backing up.. Take it to the local school at night and Practice putting that bad boy in a slot!
First time I EVER Backed my :macm: boat in , Bill from Bills Boats 4 sail was with me.. It was literally a S curve . Bill was a little concerned.. Rich do you need help? No way dude badabingbadabang in the slot and off the trailer..
C Striker
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by C Striker »

A lot of m folks install a second hound in order to use a "highfield lever" Search that. Any mod you can do to make life easier during setup is worth it. Plus it moves the furler a bit higher. I like to launch my trailer sailer in the evenings, considering I usually stay out at least 2 nights. Evenings aren't absolute madness at the ramps, and I put the rig up at my leasure while on the hook! I do the rigging solo, while the admiral makes the adult beverages, hands me some stuff, puts on some Marley, and gets the cabin all cozy. That first evening sets the pace for us. For us, it's not worth it to try and sail and be back home the same day. We leave the mast at home for day trips.

Cheers and enjoy,

EC of the Striker
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Ziggy or Bob?
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

Or Damian! :D
Don T
Admiral
Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Post by Don T »

Hello,
Hull, I just take my time. The wife and I rig & launch in about an hour. Usually we have 1 to 2 weeks provisions and gear to load into the boat cuz' we don't tow it long distances loaded. Everything above deck is tied down real well for the tow. We rig/raise mast, roller furling, boom from inside, boom vang, lines aft, down haul, lazyjacks, cockpit cushions, lines and fenders. With the wait at the ramp :| and parking we are on the water in 1 to 1.5 hours. Although I have waited an extra 45 minutes for some yahoo to load or unload his boat at the ramp instead of the prep area. :x
Love MACs
Captain
Location: Eddyville, KY; 2002 X, 50hp Merc-4 stroke: Dream Chaser

Post by Love MACs »

First time, no matter the situation :wink: , is always trying... It does get better and easier and even more enjoyable.
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

If you had filmed my first time it would have been titled 'Macgregor' the movie...rated 'R' for ridculous...a comedy. I purchased the boat in Nov and received an hour of training which consisted of hoisting the mast and fixing the forestay. Then towed it home and parked it until spring. 6 mos. later it's Easter weekend so we tow it to the ramp with great anticipation. Arrive at noon. Boat after boat arrive launch and leave some even return. First lift of the mast we have the lines wrapped around the mast and hound and can't get it free. Down goes the mast. More boats launch and retrieve. Raise the mast again and realize the upper and lower stays were reversed pinned to the chain plates. Down goes the mast. Raise the mast again trap the jib block under the forestay. Down goes the mast. Raise the mast again. Four hours later launch the boat. Success at last. Motor around the harbor, get the feel of the boat head for open water. Cell rings time to head in for dinner.
Take it all down and go home.

Now it's 30-40mins and launch. I've learned a lot from this board and thanks to all trailering the boat works for me. I totaled my launch and retrieve time vs. upkeep when slipped, ie. bottom paint, wax and buff gel coat 2-3 times a season and decided trailer stored inside was for me. If I had more gel coat I would condsider a slip so I could sail for a few hours when ever I wanted.

No matter its still great to experience the wind and waves.
Doug W
Captain
Location: Prairie Home MO - Galactica - 2010 26M with Etec 60

Post by Doug W »

phoenixtoohot wrote: Anyway, will it get better, quickly? Have some of you been discouraged on your first outings? Advice and thoughts much appreciated. Larry
It definitely gets easier! My whole first season was a comedy of errors and learning moments! I've picked up many ideas from here and even figured out a few shortcuts on my own that really helps rigging/de-rigging. Anymore, I tend to launch at night when it's cooler and the ramps are empty.

If gas prices don't get too high this summer, we'll be stopping on lake pleasant for a couple days (well, I will be while my wife is visiting family nearby) 8) I'll PM you if we head that direction.

Otherwise, we'll be heading north on a much shorter adventure!
...Doug
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Sea Striker wrote: We leave the mast at home for day trips.
I haven't done that, but I do raise the mast crutch one foot for day trips as a power boat only. It's high enough to not hit my head no matter where I am, and the bimini and dodger (with bridge) all fits fine with the mast crutch in place, after adding a hole in the bridge for the crutch.

I drop it back down and tie the mast off for trailering, but this is what it looks like with the mast raised. I can just sneak under a low lift bridge on the Erie Canal like this, but I could drop it lower if I really needed to by just popping it off the roller and laying it on the bimini frame temporarily.

C Striker
First Officer

Post by C Striker »

tkanzler wrote:I haven't done that, but I do raise the mast crutch one foot for day trips as a power boat only. It's high enough to not hit my head no matter where I am, and the bimini and dodger (with bridge) all fits fine with the mast crutch in place, after adding a hole in the bridge for the crutch.I drop it back down and tie the mast off for trailering, but this is what it looks like with the mast raised. I can just sneak under a low lift bridge on the Erie Canal like this, but I could drop it lower if I really needed to by just popping it off the roller and laying it on the bimini frame temporarily.
I'm currently working on the same project to mimmick your cockpit layout. I love the idea of a stock setup to trailer, then raising the rear of the mast once on the water for day trips. The idea hadn't occured to me because of the issue of stability on the water. Best of both worlds to me, since I'm about a 30 minute tow to the hill. Could you elaborate a bit on the hardware you use to raise the mast over the bimini once on the water? My long term goal is to only hang the mast on my fence when a hurricaine is bearing down on me.

thanks,
Erik
fouz
First Officer

Post by fouz »

I raised my mast like tkanzler. I only raised it about 8-10 inches (for head room at the helm). I did it for the same reasons, launch and motor away like any other boat. I trailered it in the same position this weekend for 70 miles with no problems and less movement than before. But i do have the PVC mast support in the middle like a few other have. I thought about added a small rod to prevent any swing but I didn't really see any while on the road but still might add one.

I also put a furler support on the end made of 3" PVC. Basically cut the PVC in half. 1 half about 2' long goes on the mast, 1 half about 5' long goes up against the furler. I sanded them flat and glued and screwed them together. One bungee holds it to the mast. The furler just sits in it.
Last edited by fouz on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenixtoohot
Chief Steward

Post by phoenixtoohot »

Thanks to all who replied ... as always some good tips and encouragement from members.

Since my initial sail, I have installed 1) slugs on main and brought the main halyard aft, 2) single line reefing with that line aft, and 3) had to install a main downhaul, as my main did not drop so nicely as on Jim's Konig. I already had a roller furling 150, so now, I can do most anything from the cockpit except the main topping lift, which I may bring aft too.

I also ordered and watched the "Speedy Rigger" DVD's which had some useful information on setting up, taking down, and organizational tips.

Finally, I have decided to store the boat on the trailer, with the mast and boom up, at my local marina for the first few months. The boat is only about 200 feet from a lightly used ramp.

Not sure what else to do, but always interested in other mods that have a high benefit to cost (or effort) ratio.

Regards, "Rested" Larry
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Sea Striker wrote: Could you elaborate a bit on the hardware you use to raise the mast over the bimini once on the water?
Sure. I used a piece of spreader tube cut from a damaged spreader that I had replaced, 12" long, and a length of schedule 40 pipe, about 24" long. The pipe fits inside the spreader tube and the mast crutch tube with little clearance, and the spreader tube raises the bottom of the crutch tube by however long it is, or 12" in my case.

It's very strong and stable. The spreader tube end is flush with the top of the helm structure, so you can't really see the end of the stainless crutch tube unless you look for it. You could always make it a little shorter, so it's completely hidden, if you wanted to.

I don't recall the size of tube and pipe, but from memory I think the spreader was 1" OD, as is the crutch tube, so 1/2" galvanized pipe (.84" OD) would fit perfectly.

The steel pipe can mess up the compass at the helm a bit, but I have a new compass that's going into the starboard bulkhead when I open the boat, so no worries. Not that I worried anyway, as when motoring with the mast down, I'm never anywhere that even an out of whack compass couldn't point me close enough to land. Like in the canal (make a big circle, and you're going to be grounded :D )

I have some pictures of the mod on my main computer, so I'll add them when I'm on it.

Oh, and to raise the most, I just lift it and the crutch with one hand, put the pipe and sleeve into the hole, and put the crutch over the pipe. Easier with two folks, but not hard solo.

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

Could you elaborate a bit on the hardware you use to raise the mast over the bimini once on the water?
A cheap easy way is a simple hose clamp on the mast support. The pipe goes down into the console about 18", so just lift it a foot and tighten down the clamp and there it stays.
Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Post by Erik Hardtle »

I have had my 26X for 9+ years now... I've gotten pretty good at setting up in less than 15 min on my own. Another Mac26X "Compromise" actually filmed me setting up in less than 10, and I wasn't in a hurry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5i0nLon1aA

Things that help cut down on set up time.

1. I have a dual axle trailer... so I load everyting in the boat while at home. (Huge time saver... and everyone knows, time at home doesn't count :wink: )
2. I keep the boom with the sail attached to the mast.
3. I converted the 26X mast raising kit to a 26M kit. It is safer, faster and easier to control. (Huge time saver)
4. All my control lines are always attached. (sheets, halyards)
5. Cover (tarp) when at home. Cuts down on the cleaning time. (eh, Vic?)

Click on the World Icon to see my website, feel free to contact me with any questions.

Capt Erik, Admiral Jean, First Mate Christina & Swabbie Nicole
1999 MacGregor 26X, "KnotShore"
New Bern, NC