New Glass2 on Knot Shore

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Kevgrn114
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

New Glass2 on Knot Shore

Post by Kevgrn114 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:50 pm

Hey Erik, was looking through your website... again.. :-) and was wondering how you like the newglass2 product? The boat I am getting needs a good wax job but mostly looks pretty good, just wondering what the best product is to get it looking good.

fouz
First Officer

Re: New Glass2 on Knot Shore

Post by fouz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Wondering as well. My boat had heavy oxidation. I have waxed it below the rub rail (looks like a new boat to me). But the top side isnt working. It seems like the black gel coat is smearing into the white. I preped the top same as the bottom and it still doesn't wax like the bottom did.

So I'm thinking new glass2 or poly-glow for the top. I'll keep waxing the bottom but the top gelcoat doesn't seem like it's going to take a waxing.

Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Post by Erik Hardtle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:49 am

Wow, surprising to see my name in the title of a post... guess I better respond :D

I still use New Glass2 every year (9 years now) and I am still very happy with it. It does a great job making the black look new and shiny again. It does not make the boat look yellow at all (see pic below from a couple of weeks ago). I use it on the top and bottom of the boat.

You just can't beat making the boat look new again less than 30 minutes and not break a sweat doing it!

Just this year I ordered their PreTreat to see how it worked taking the New Glass2 off... it was very easy... wipe on and hose off, it took it all off right back down to the orginal gel coat.

I would avoid poly-glow... Victor on Compromise is very unhappy with it, and is having a hard time getting it off.

Kevgrn114
Chief Steward

Post by Kevgrn114 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:08 am

Great to know, thanks!

Man I could ask all kinds of questions about the cool things you've done to your boat.

I was trying to click on the link of the video of your stay sail tacking but it doesn't work.. How do you tack the genoa? Does it still pass through in front of the stay sail or does it go in front of the fore stay like a spinnaker?

fouz
First Officer

Post by fouz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:38 am

Good to know about the poly-glow. Thx.

Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Post by Erik Hardtle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:23 am

Kevgrn114
Feel free to PM me any questions you have... I am very happy to brag about my toy!

The Genoa goes around the stay sail (sometime not easily in light wind)

The video should work...
There is a possibility the MMS association has been broken, follow these instructions to fix it:
- Open a Command Prompt
- Type regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll
- Hit Enter then click OK when prompted.
- Close Media Player and restart.

Kevgrn114
Chief Steward

Post by Kevgrn114 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:29 pm

Ah, ok, I was trying from my ipad.. Cool!!

Keel_Hauled
Chief Steward

Post by Keel_Hauled » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Bleche-Wite tire cleaner will take the polyglow off with a little brushing. I made the mistake of using that hiders crap on my Serenity and was not happy at all with it after the first month ...

***EDIT*** Even eaiser, but more expensive, way to remove all traces of poliglow-- WD40 and a bunch of rags. not a trace left and no scrubbing required.

Phillip A. Green
Last edited by Keel_Hauled on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:53 pm

OK I just ordered the kit.. $67 delivered.. I hope its as good as claimed ....

vkmaynard
Captain
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Post by vkmaynard » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:07 pm

Erik snapped that picture just before we passed him, proving that even a bad PolyGlow job is faster than New Glass II :o

Seroiusly, avoid PolyGlow. Even the company that sold it to us now avoids using it on the topside of their personal boat.

Victor

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Interesting about Polyglow. As I recall that's the top rated one by Practical Sailor, it outlasted all the others. I'll have to go back and find that article again - I don't recall that they had any yellowing. :( But they test in Sarasota.

Just to be clear on our definitions here - the topside of a boat is the vertical part of the hull below the rub rail, right? Except for the white stripes, the yellowing, unless severe, would therefore be invisible on the faster (blue hull) boats on this forum. :P

Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:51 am

Eric I got My kit Yesterday.. OM Gosh.. that's about the fastest delivery I have ever gotten on an Internet sale.. Anyway.. Do I need to buff out the black stripes first???

Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Post by Erik Hardtle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:17 am

Use the pre-treat first if you have it.

I used 600 grit wet sand paper and wet sanded all the black areas and let dry before applying the first coat.

Make sure the boat is dry and clean of any debris or it will get trapped by the new glass.

Here is link to pics of my process: http://www.enctrader.com/hardtlefamily/ ... allery.htm

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:29 am

You just used that on the stripes right? Or did you do the whole cabin top? Looks great

Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:17 pm

What about application to the decks and the non-skid?