A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

windypatrick
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Mesa, Arizona -- 1998 Mac 26x - 'DRAGONFLY' , 50HP Johnson 2 Stroke

Coast Guard or ASA training or?...

Post by windypatrick » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:42 pm

So I've had Dragonfly - my 26X since June of last year and it has been awesome 8) . I've been overwhelmed with fixing stuff and I am catching up a bit, now I would now like to bone up on the classroom and certification side. My queries on the web have confused me some. ASA has many classes and I like the sound of them, there appear to me many great organizations conducting the classes in an applied setting. Then there are US Coast Guard classes. Again entirely worthwhile; even essential.

My end goal is to be able to charter boats in other places in the world... and gradually improve my experience all while enjoying my boat safely as well.

I am a commercially rated pilot and I thought that there would be a more centralized certs and training method :D ...I guess not.

I am figuring to just start working through the ASA courses...is that a good approach? What would the learned members recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input.

RobertB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Coast Guard or ASA training or?...

Post by RobertB » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:10 am

My main reason for training was to get a discount on insurance (and not hit moving objects on the water). One method is to start with your state dept of natural resources or insurance company and see what courses are recognized. Before I figured out this approach, I took one on the web that looked good - was accepted by the insurance company. Now, if someone younger than whatever the limit is in the state, where training is mandatory, then must go through the state approved course.

Bobglas
Engineer

Post by Bobglas » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:49 am

Took an ASA live aboard course (actually 3) when I retired. Basic Keelboat, Basic Coastal Cruising and Bareboat Chartering. Aside from a wonderful week sailing w/ someone who could answer all my questions it made chartering reference listing easy. All the way from 28' to 42' footers. Good time and worth it (took the 3 tests on the last day.... long day).

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:22 am

I think learning to sail is far more important than being certified. I think both are best of all.

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:54 am

Windy - Colonel Jim King retired from the USAF last year, after many years of service to our country, and has set up a charter/certification business in MS....you can probably get some understanding of the process through his website

http://www.northstarsailingcharters.com

I dont have any association with Jim, other than enjoying life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness on the backs of his dedicated service...

c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Catigale wrote:Windy - Colonel Jim King retired from the USAF last year, after many years of service to our country, and has set up a charter/certification business in MS....you can probably get some understanding of the process through his website

http://www.northstarsailingcharters.com

I dont have any association with Jim, other than enjoying life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness on the backs of his dedicated service...
I don't have a PhD but is sailing with the said retired Colonel considered an "association"?

Dr. Stephen sailing on König --

And Dr. Stephen sitting next to König at the restaurant where we stopped for lunch --

8)

Cheers,
Jim