Good Bad or Otherwise

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Good Bad or Otherwise

Post by Divecoz » Mon May 13, 2013 10:55 am

I just purchased a S.S. 15.5 lb Delta Style Anchor from http://www.marinepartdepot.com/newststdean1.html for $229.00 delivered ..

RussMT
Admiral

Re: Good Bad or Otherwise

Post by RussMT » Mon May 13, 2013 11:13 am

Pretty.

I just bought a 22lb SS Delta for $234.99 delivered.
http://www.anchoring.com/stainless-stee ... Qgod2R8AGA

I'm afraid to use it and get it dirty.

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Mon May 13, 2013 1:34 pm

I just purchased a S.S. 15.5 lb Delta Style Anchor from http://www.marinepartdepot.com/newststdean1.html for $229.00 delivered ..
I just bought a 22lb SS Delta for $234.99 delivered.
http://www.anchoring.com/stainless-stee ... Qgod2R8AGA

I'm afraid to use it and get it dirty.

Hopefully Good! You guys will have to report back in a few months how they work in different bottoms. I have read a ton of good reviews about the delta and everyone seems to love them.

I bought the 22lb "delta stlye" russ linked from anchoring.com. I don't know if it was because it is not the official delta, or I just had bad luck, but I did not have good luck with it. In the lower chesapeake we generally have either super soft sludge or hardpack sand. I almost always use a bahamian moor and dive both anchors to check how they are set. In the sludge it would bury way down suctioned in where it was a bear to get back up, but could still be drug with reverse or a strong wind even though it was knee deep in the muck. In hardpack sand it was almost impossible to get it to dig in and set on its own. Sometimes I could get it to set by carefully feeling the bottom while holding the chain to keep the shank angled just right with someone else backing down. Generally it would just keep dragging on its side and never dig in until I dove down and set the tip by hand. Once it was buried in the sand it held great.

Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz » Mon May 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Long Long Story I will cut to a very Short Story..
My Brother brought a 33' sailboat from The Island of Grenada to St Croix.. Numerous anchor issues.. !@#$%^&*( Haven't you guys got another anchor? Yes They said this one.. a Delta.. No further issues and they anchored overnight in weather I hope NONE of us EVER experience..
Don has one on his 30' 14,000 lb Shamrock.. Its the best there is according to him and a dozen or more buddies who depend on them..
NOW RussMT.. WE need to make that website come up on a search.. Lots of people along with myself thought my price was excellent.. Your price was BETTER!!!
BTW its for my Power Boat NOT the :macm: The :macm: has a Bruce Claw knockoff another great anchor... IMHO

Rick Westlake
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Casa Rio Marina, Mayo, MD; MacGregor 26X, "Bossa Nova" - Bristol 29.9 "Halcyon"

Post by Rick Westlake » Tue May 14, 2013 7:44 am

My only experience with a Delta was quite unsatisfactory; it was in my current boat, a Bristol 29.9 sloop. I sold that anchor to a fellow at my marina who had lost his same-size Delta, and bought a Manson Supreme - now that anchor holds!

I prefer a spade-style anchor, like the Rocna or the Manson Supreme I've got on Halcyon. I'm sure a Bruce (or the Lewmar Claw knockoff) would do well, too, but I put my money into a Manson and it's done really well for me.

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue May 14, 2013 8:28 am

This has probably been posted a hundred times already, but it's an interesting read, if for no other reason than the history of the CQR and Danforth anchors.

It was written by Peter Smith, who designed the ROCNA, so it's got a slant in that direction, as you would expect. Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-ancho ... nchors.php

Oh, and even though I've always gotten good service from the Bruce anchor I had on my last boat, if I was going to spend money on a new anchor, I'd go for the ROCNA or Manson Supreme. Only problem is where to store it, as the :macx: has no facility for that. I keep a Danforth knockoff in the locker (actually made by Dutton-Lainson, who makes the winches for the Mac gin poles) with chain and 3-strand rode, but if I could come up with a way to store and launch a ROCNA on the bow, without spending more than the cost of the anchor, I'd do it. FWIW. :wink:

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Tue May 14, 2013 9:51 am

Nothing gets sailors going like anchors...

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Tue May 14, 2013 10:09 am

tkanzler wrote:.... I'd go for the ROCNA or Manson Supreme. Only problem is where to store it....
On a bow roller of course :wink: .

We love our Manson Supreme and bought a larger one for the Endeavour before the deal was even finialized. Our 22 lb. claw has also been a great anchor and if I was buying an anchor and didn't have the money for a Supreme it would then be the claw. I especially liked it for its robustness when anchoring in rocks in the west. It also worked fine for us in Florida and other locations before we started using the Manson more and more, but often use them both together,

Sum

===================================
Our MacGregor 26-S

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links