Unknown leak sourcce(s)?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Captain Kimo
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: 96'MacGregor 26X, Johnson 50HP O/B,"FOREVER",Callville Bay Marina, Lake Mead Nevada

Unknown leak sourcce(s)?

Post by Captain Kimo »

Have a 96' Mac26X :macx: which has developed a leak at times. Have narrowed it down to two sources:

1. Possible window leak over port galley window. Have found water in top exposed cups and glasses stored in teak galley racks after rain.

2. During rough motor passage with spray over the bow, found major water in the bilge portside (2 inches). Wonder if I have ruptured the seal between the deck top and hull, especially close to the bow and water entering when going to weather. When activated bilge pump was able to pump dry, so not a hull breach or would have continual flow of water while boat in the water. :D

This last rain produced no water in the bilges, so suspect the window not the cause. Water in port side bilge only noticed after rough motor passage or rain. :P

QUESTION:
Have anyone else experienced similar experience? How did you locate source of water? What repair procedures do you recommend?
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Unknown leak sourcce(s)?

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Do a search, there are several threads on this. Basically, Get a hose and a helper to determine where the leak is. You could start with Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure in the problem area (might as well run it all the way along the top of the rubbing strip), but if you are getting that much water in, it sounds like its probably past that. You may have to take the rubbing strip off and reseal. Theres a Youtube video somewhere on replacing the rubbing strip which will be helpful.
March
Captain

Post by March »

It would be easy to check whether the water is rain water or sea water... if you sailed on the Ocean. But water lake tastes the same as rain, even from a lake with alcoholic appelation like yours.

You might want to consider the usual suspects first: chain plates, transom rudder connectors. In case you have drinking water supplies connected to the galely sink, see if the hose is properly attached. Two inches of water in the bilge is not a properly measurable amount, since the bilge is curved under the galley: a mere liter would give you that result.

It is also possible that the water has been there for a while: on the trailer, the water tends to collect in the back of the boat, and you wouldn't even notice it until you launch.

As for the wet glasses in the galley... water may also seep from the mast plate: on my boat, it collected into the starboard light above the table, fouling up the lens... until I realized it. Then the water seeps along the lining and surfaces at odd locations.

A major breach in the deck-dop/hull seam would be low on the list of possibilities. There are plenty of clever suggestions on how to detect such minor leaks, ranging from talcum powder to power washing methdicaly and abundantly while the boat is out of the water. You migt want to do a searchg, but I would begin by sealing off the most likely culprits: chainplates, rudder connections--and especially the bailing-out hoses from the engine well, anchor lock, and water supply tank
island808
Engineer

Post by island808 »

SO many sources to consider. I like lawn sprinkler (a couple or more fan types running at the same time. ) to simulate rain. At least on RVs. I assume boats are the same. Bilge is separated port and starboard so you can start tracking the water from stern to bow till you find dry and head back the other way.

but yea, tons of threads.

I just found that the bow hatch seal had come un glued at the corners and wasn't contacting the top side at the front corners. easy infiltration.

As for major water in the bilge. My boat was on jacks when it got major water in it. That front hatch probably the culprit.
March
Captain

Post by March »

Island808 wrote:
As for major water in the bilge. My boat was on jacks when it got major water in it. That front hatch probably the culprit.
The front hatch has a pretty deep lip. As long as the lip is clean of debris, most of the water will nicely trickle down into that groove and onto the front deck, even though the hatch doesn't have a perfect seal. Of course, you can make sure that the seal is in place, but on my boat, the seal doesn't fit perfectly when the hatch is closed. Not that it matters all that much: only the most unruly waves will get in, since the hatch cover is slightly slanted and acts as a shield for the front waves.

Your front V berth would be soaked nice and good before so much water finds it way into the bilge through the hatch. That would be easy to check
Captain Kimo
Engineer
Location: 96'MacGregor 26X, Johnson 50HP O/B,"FOREVER",Callville Bay Marina, Lake Mead Nevada

Post by Captain Kimo »

island808 wrote:SO many sources to consider. I like lawn sprinkler (a couple or more fan types running at the same time. ) to simulate rain. At least on RVs. I assume boats are the same. Bilge is separated port and starboard so you can start tracking the water from stern to bow till you find dry and head back the other way.

Water only found in Port bilge area. Will do the water test to find first dry area forward.

but yea, tons of threads.

I just found that the bow hatch seal had come un glued at the corners and wasn't contacting the top side at the front corners. easy infiltration.

Found rubber seal detached on bow hatch some time ago and re-glue back in previous position. Water coming in between liner and hull