engel freezer questions

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

bahama bound
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

engel freezer questions

Post by bahama bound » Fri May 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Scored a new Engel freezer new on Craigslist for 375 bucks still in the box .to set this up should it have a designated battery and how big of a solar panel would it take to keep it charged .also have Honda generator as well when away from the dock .its a.43 quart I think ? Also if it was placed under the.dinette seat would it have to be vented to keep the heat from building up.?

Chinook
Admiral

Re: engel freezer questions

Post by Chinook » Fri May 16, 2014 7:59 pm

I have an Engel frig, and I believe it's a 36 quart size. I'm guessing it's the same size as yours. I installed mine in the aft dinette seat space. I removed the stock fiberglass ice chest insert bin and set the frig down on the water ballast tank top. I cut out blocks of styro foam to create a flat surface that aligns with the top of the water ballast tank. I cut holes to receive the padded feet of the frig. I also added extra rigid foam sheets, about 2 inch thick, around the food box portion of the frig, to give it a little better insulation. I had to unscrew the exterior handles, so that it would fit into the dinette locker space. I had to cut out a little on the rim of the dinette seat, to allow for reaching in. I glued a 3/4 inch thick piece of flexible foam to the underside of the dinette seat lid, and we then put the seat cushion on the lid, in its usual location. This allows us to sit directly on the frig lid, and it works out great. Things just fit there. We looked at the Waeco unit, and it's dimensions were just a little taller. I don't think it would have fit. I did install a plastic louver vent under the dinette, aligning it with the compressor motor. I put a second plastic louver vent in the head, also lining up with the compressor. This allows for some flow through ventilation. Not sure it was necessary, but it was easy to do and might help. My house batteries (2 6 volt golf cart batteries in series) are located in the battery box just aft of the galley. It's a chore, but I was able to fish the wires across to that side by going under the head and across the water ballast tanks and under the king berth liner. I used a pair of 12 guage tinned wires, and connected directly to the house battery, with an inline fuse holder on the hot side. We have been using a 65 watt solar panel, mounted on the sliding hatch cover. With our heavy duty house battery, this has worked out well enough in keeping the frig going. If we're anchored out for several days without running the outboard, and with decent sunshine, it almost keeps up. I notice a slow decline in battery reading on my digital voltmeter, but it does work out nicely. For this year, I've replaced the 65 watt panel with two 50 watt panels, and I'm hoping that will do an even better job in keeping the batteries topped off. We try to freeze foods before the start of a trip, and that helps keep the frig cool. We set the unit to maintain a temp of around 39 to 40 degrees. We also carry a small ice chest and we put our pop and beer in it. If the ice melts, nothing spoils or suffers from contact with melt water. We're very happy with this setup. I expect you will be as well.

Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Post by Erik Hardtle » Sat May 17, 2014 9:51 am

I have the Engle 35 refrigerator ... works off of DC and AC... I removed the handles and the feet. Then I cutout some of the cooler insert to allow it to ventilate and added more fiberglass roving to help support the extra weight. Over the years I have owned it, it doen't generate much heat at all.

It automatically detects if AC current is on uses it instead of DC. This will keep everything refrigerated.... and will make ice. Draws about .7 to 2.7 amps depending on where you set the knob.

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Sat May 17, 2014 12:31 pm

I have had my Edgestar 63 quart under table for 5 years and love it. Raised table 4 inches to lift top. Runs on 12v or 110 and very low battery drainage.
Have twin 105 deep cycle batteries in Vberth and another starter Battery under aft sink.
Have two 40 watt solar panels I just lay on top of Bimini for trips lasting 5 days or more.
Works great for us.
No need for Solar if you are running engine, just if your on the hook for 2 days or more.
The twin house will last for 3 days and will run down battery to 50%, solar will add another 2-3 days.
Best to keep unit in open space so it runs much less than closed spaces even with drilled compartments.
You don't need to remove plywood and chusion to get at refig.
Dave
bahama bound wrote:Scored a new Engel freezer new on Craigslist for 375 bucks still in the box .to set this up should it have a designated battery and how big of a solar panel would it take to keep it charged .also have Honda generator as well when away from the dock .its a.43 quart I think ? Also if it was placed under the.dinette seat would it have to be vented to keep the heat from building up.?

bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound » Sat May 17, 2014 7:57 pm

I hope I did not make a mistake by buying the Engel 45 ? The 35 looks like a perfect fit .will look online to see if there is a physical size difference .can't wait to put it in the boat ....

innervations
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Perth, Western Australia, "Talani Jayne" a 2010 Mac26M with ETec 60

Post by innervations » Sun May 18, 2014 9:05 am

I recommend that you ensure adequate ventilation or the freezer will be very inefficient if it is circulating hot air. I am based in Perth and yes it is very hot in Summer but I made the mistake of placing mine with the fan intake/output about 10cm from the galley. The hot air gets trapped and the fridge has to work a lot harder because it is drawing in hot air. Note, this is sitting out on the portside seating - not in an enclosed area.

I placed a 90mm 12 volt fan http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=YX2582 in the space to push the hot air out. Yes it uses a small amount of power but the fridge is switching on much less. My next job is to make the fan temperature controlled so it only runs when necessary http://www.electroschematics.com/9540/a ... mperature/

If you are putting your fridge in an enclosed space you are going to have to put in ventilation and I would suggest active airflow using a fan setup similar to what I have described. Otherwise your fridge is going to be working really hard and draining your battery.

fouz
First Officer

Post by fouz » Sun May 18, 2014 5:34 pm

I'm jealous.
You the wheeling-n-dealing-guy in a crack neighborhood? :D jk
The etec 90 and now the fridge. Nice score.

Three Gypsies
First Officer

Post by Three Gypsies » Mon May 19, 2014 9:11 am

We have an Engle 45 and power it with solar . The freezer draws about 3.5 amps . We have 200 watts of solar cells charging two deep cycle batteries , the Exide blue top batteries .

This system has worked well for us . Occasionally , the solar controller will shut off the Engle , late at night due to low battery , but nothing thaws out and its back running come sunrise .

bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound » Mon May 19, 2014 1:50 pm

Three Gypsies wrote:We have an Engle 45 and power it with solar . The freezer draws about 3.5 amps . We have 200 watts of solar cells charging two deep cycle batteries , the Exide blue top batteries .

This system has worked well for us . Occasionally , the solar controller will shut off the Engle , late at night due to low battery , but nothing thaws out and its back running come sunrise .
Is yours under the.dinette ?

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Mon May 19, 2014 3:30 pm

The Engle 45 is a great frig. for the MacX. Just put in under Table and raise the table 4 inches. This is done with leg added 4inches and 4 inch spacers on your table.
Raiseing table gives more leg room and closer to your mouth to feed. Not everyone is a shorty like Rodger.
Dave
bahama bound wrote:I hope I did not make a mistake by buying the Engel 45 ? The 35 looks like a perfect fit .will look online to see if there is a physical size difference .can't wait to put it in the boat ....

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Mon May 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Having played with various Engel fridges and the like....one tip....fan forced ie in the fridge....makes for a great improvement of air flow and thus the thermostat picks up variation much quicker.Found our upright 12 fridge would take 20-30 mins to kick in again after opening but with a small computer fan inside the compressor would kick in 5min or less....we have problems keeping things cold...ambients of 35-40C might have something to do with that and not cold beer is just not right

bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound » Tue May 20, 2014 3:30 pm

Erik Hardtle wrote:I have the Engle 35 refrigerator ... works off of DC and AC... I removed the handles and the feet. Then I cutout some of the cooler insert to allow it to ventilate and added more fiberglass roving to help support the extra weight. Over the years I have owned it, it doen't generate much heat at all.

It automatically detects if AC current is on uses it instead of DC. This will keep everything refrigerated.... and will make ice. Draws about .7 to 2.7 amps depending on where you set the knob.

Is it wired for AC and DC voltage at all times ? How does it auto switch back and forth between voltage ?

bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound » Tue May 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Erik Hardtle wrote:I have the Engle 35 refrigerator ... works off of DC and AC... I removed the handles and the feet. Then I cutout some of the cooler insert to allow it to ventilate and added more fiberglass roving to help support the extra weight. Over the years I have owned it, it doen't generate much heat at all.

Is it wired for AC and DC voltage at all times ? How does it auto switch back and forth between voltage ?

DaveB
Admiral

Post by DaveB » Tue May 20, 2014 4:49 pm

Refig. runs on DC running boat, runs on AC at Dockside 110 or use a inverter 75 watt on boat.
Always use the DC running your Frig. under power, if DC cord fails you use the AC cord with 75watt inverter.
These frig. operate on both DC/AC current and unit fails on DC , you plug in your AC cord to 75 watt inverter.
I would never run a DC?AC refig in a compartment regardless if big drill holes are in.
You need heavy circulation and best under the table. Have had mine there for 5 years and works great and refig. likes the air.
Dave

innervations
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Perth, Western Australia, "Talani Jayne" a 2010 Mac26M with ETec 60

Post by innervations » Tue May 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi Dave, I like your under table idea but how do you open the lid and access the stuff inside. Do you slide the fridge in and out?